What's new

Which SuperBits to get??? (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Mark,

I haven't seen or owned a single title in Superbit that wasn't at least as good as the previous transfer. Only one that didn't show me anything new was probably "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." I owned both the original release and Sbit, not enough difference to upgrade.

One that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is Resident Evil. The picture and sound for the Sbit are absolutely unbelievable, I use it as a reference or demo disc all the time. Really a fantastic transfer that showcases all the eye candy of a decent popcorn thriller.

Buy superbits with confidence, the transfers are always (so far) just spot on.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Why would you presume a restored print? Columbia didn't bother doing that with From Here to Eternity, and that was a prestige Oscar-winner. And it looks like it's been from here to eternity, too. Superbit does not in any way, shape or form promise a restored picture.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Sony distributes some movies from other studios in places like Japan, ie. Gladiator. Man, I need to get a multi-region player soon! And then it would be "Scarecrow Video, here I come!"

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
DS in R1 is COLUMBIA (which is owned by SONY)
I dont know if FHTE recieved any sort of a restoration, but Ive read that DS has, as it played here a few years back-(missed it)
Given that a restored print exists, and this is a deluxe edition-being sold to consumers who demand the best in video, please feel free to Keelhaul me for assuming (and hoping) the best out of SONY/Japan-because we may soon see the same disc here.
I was quite dissappointed with the DS-SE that used the same old beat up print of the previous bare bones, especailly in contrast to the restored WB titles that came out...but who knows? maybe they will try to use the old print for a SB(waste of time imho)

ahhh, yes Scarecrow video....I used to live there when they were in the GreenLake/Latona area. May George RIP....

ChrisA

Second Unit
Resident Evil might be a great superbit, but damn I sold that movie right after I watched it... I just thought it sucked so bad...

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
R2 Godzilla Superbit is really good.
R2 Gladiator Superbit is slightly better than the collectors edition.
R2 Japan Last Action Hero is apparently very good.There's a review of it on this here:

http://www.totaldvd.net/cgi-bin/dvdr...php?dvdid=5001

I wasn't interested in Superbit when I had my 32" 16:9 TV, but now I'm running a front projector on a 100" screen, Superbits are a must.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Interesting thing I just discovered- I have my Mac DVD player set to R3-and all the R1 Superbit titles I have play-stick in an actual R1 disc-and it spits it out...
Im wondering if in spite of being labled "R1" that they are actually made at one factory, as "R0" then shipped around the NTSC world to save on localised mastering/pressing costs...
which brings up some interesting possiblilties....

SB: BRAM STOKERS' DRACULA
SB: HEAVY METAL
SB: THE DARK CRYSTAL
SB: CROUCHING TIGER

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
HD-DVD..what about all the investments we made for "normal" DVDs, great..mandatory (yes, I know not imperative we do but..all this buying when this is on the horizon.) double dipping.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
HD-DVD..what about all the investments we made for "normal" DVDs
Tell me about it! I've spent over $50k on dvds but I'm not too worried about HD-DVD. They'll be a market for used DVDs for many years. HD-DVD will be like laserdisc until the masses can afford HDTVs. Plus the pricey TV boxsets won't be replaced with HD-DVD, most likely. Buffy isn't going to look any better in HD but it would be nice to have entire seasons on 1 disc instead of 6.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Tell me about it! I've spent over $50k
What???? And I thought I have spent a lot at about 10k.
You must own like 2000 movies! I have mellowed my dvd buyin by quite a bit in the last couple of years. I only buy what I really really want. Or if it is a really good deal. But I for one am going to stop double dipping and wait for hd-dvd. I mean how long are we from hd-dvd? 1-2 years? The only titles I will double dip on now are absolute must haves and my favorite movies.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I agree with you Jeff! I slowed way down and if I see a $6.99 DVD at CashConverters that I really, really want then I will pick it up. A few more SB's to my collection and that will be it until HD-DVD's come to be... I have been watching more HD-Movies in 5.1 in my Theater then DVD's as of late as I just love the quality.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Jeff, I know of these three, coming mid September.

HOOK
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
LEON

It seems as though Columbia will eventually release every title in the catalog, so Ive been waiting for WOLF, LAST ACTION HERO, DR. STRANGELOVE, and CLIFFHANGER. I would bet money on all of those finding their way to R1 within the next year.

My runner up choices would be FRIGHT NIGHT, BLUE THUNDER, and THE CABLE GUY. Not as likely, but you never know.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'll get the Lawrence of Arabia Superbit and probably won't buy anymore until they release Black Hawk Down. I can't think of any other films I am interested in that have Superbit potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks