What's new

Which ported Tempest Alignment? (1 Viewer)

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
The day has finally come. I have my tempest sub, going to pick up the amp and ports from CSS tomorrow. The only thing left is to decide on an alignment. That is where i would like some help. I am not limited to any size, i was thinking of using one of Adire's ported alignments. I'll use it for 99%HT 1%Music. Which Alignment is best suited for HT. I was leaning towards the EBS Alignment because it was bigger and goes lower.But how much SPL will i lose over the other two alignments? I would really like bass you can feel( you know, in the action/explosion scenes). I watch alot of high filled bass heavy movies, LOTR, Matrix,Fight Club,Fifth Element, those types of movies. I'm sure i can't go wrong with any Adire alignment i choose,but wanted to know if any one was better for my applications

thanks
Curt

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I like the gut churning lows of my EBS but you cant go wrong with any of the alignments as you said. I have my sub calibrated and equalized with a house curve and it never breaks a sweat with 250W. I have heard that the EBS is better for music and the AA is better for HT FWIW.

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Graham,
Do you watch alot of movies or mostly listen to music. SO you would say that the EBS gives you more of the Hard impact bass that you can feel over the AA alignment. Thanks for the tip about the AA being better for HT. That is what i am after. I am going to be powering it with a 300watt Amp from CSS that has dip switches for adjustable bass boost

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Hey Curt,

I have my AA ported box all but built. Only have to cut Driver & port holes. Just waiting on my Tempest, & the ports, which "should" be here by Wednesday or Thursday.

I also went with the 360w @ 4ohm amp from CSS.

If so, I hope to have it put together & running by Fri.
or Sat. at the latest. After I try it out, I will finish
the outside.

Also, I added an extra set of the "1/2 braces" to ensure
there would be no resonating.

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Cam that sounds great, waiting is the worst part. i am fortunate that way i guess. i live 5 minutes away from CSS. i am going over to bob's tomorrow to pick up my amp. So what made you choose the AA over the other two alignments? Are you going to use it more for Ht than music?

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
One more question for you guys,
Where my sub is going to sit i have limitations on depth.
This is the dimensions of the Adire Alignment
37.5" tall x 22" wide x 22" deep.
My question is this; could i make it,
37.5" tall x 24" wide x 20" deep?
Would this not give me the same internal volume?
And would this minor design adjustment affect the way it sounds? I'm thinking as long as all the other factors
(port size,length) etc are followed using the Adire Alignment it should sound pretty much the same? Am i correct in thinking this?

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Curt, yes I will be using it more for HT than music.
No real "educated" reason for the decision, though..:b

As far as the size difference, there is 128 cu. in less
in your size box over the AA box. Dont know how much
difference that will make in a box that size.

AA box - 32" x 20.5" X 20.5" = 13448 cu. in.

Your box - 32" x 22.5" x 18.5" = 13320 cu. in.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
QUOTE]Do you watch alot of movies or mostly listen to music. SO you would say that the EBS gives you more of the Hard impact bass that you can feel over the AA alignment. Thanks for the tip about the AA being better for HT. That is what i am after.[/quote]

I have only tried some sealed alignments and the EBS and I listen to about 50/50 HT/music. If you read the Adire plans it decribes each alignments characteristics. Maybe that will help you decide.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
QUOTE]Do you watch alot of movies or mostly listen to music. SO you would say that the EBS gives you more of the Hard impact bass that you can feel over the AA alignment. Thanks for the tip about the AA being better for HT. That is what i am after.[/quote]

I have only tried some sealed alignments and the EBS and I listen to about 50/50 HT/music. If you read the Adire plans it decribes each alignments characteristics. Maybe that will help you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks