Sealed Tempest or Ported Shiva

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AdamN, Mar 3, 2003.

1. AdamN

AdamN Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of going the DIY route for my sub. I use it for about %40 movies and %60 music.

The sub will be powered by a Parts Express 250 watt plate amp.

Which would be better for me...

A sealed mid q design box, forward firing, Tempest.

or...

A ported adire alignment design box, down firing, Shiva.

Thanks a lot

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

These two look very similar in terms of output. The adire alignments for both the Shiva and the Tempest mimic the response of a low-mid Q sealed sub but take advantage of the extra output of a ported sub. So its not surprising that the adire alignment Shiva perfoms similar to the mid-Q Tempest.

If space is at a premium then the AA Shiva will be smaller despite the extra room you'll need for the port. If not, you could consider another alignment for the Shiva. But the more I look at it, the more I see that only the EBS Shiva has a real advantage over the mid-Q Tempest. But it requires a big enclosure.

I see several good reasons for going with the Tempest here:

1) Similar frequency responce, but better group delay.
    2) Sealed boxes can be easier to build.
    3) No need for rumble filter so any amp will do.
    4) If you want to upgrade later on just build a ported box for the Tempest.

3. AdamN

AdamN Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,

First off, I'd like to thank you for your input.

Yes, space is definatelly an issue. Otherwise I'd just go with the AA ported tempest. Beleive me...I'd love to build a monstorous 210L ported enclosure but my room just doesnt permit it.

1.) After just looking at them...that is very true. I didn't even look at the group delay untill just now.
    2.) True, but no biggie for me.
    3.) True, but also no biggie for me because the PE 250 watt has a rumble filter.
    4.) Yes, when space is no longer a problem (i.e. bigger home)...I can easilly build a ported enclosure for the tempest. In wich case this would aslo be bettter then the ported shiva.

Well...that just reassured me. I was planning on going with the Tempest before and unless anyone else can convince me otherwise...that is still my plan. [​IMG]

4. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

the Tempest will move quite a bit more air than the Shiva but does require a little bigger box.. I would go with the Tempest, myself, after having a 15" it would be hard going back to a 12" [​IMG]

5. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

The tempest is a great sub- the 122L sealed enclosure is big though. Room size should also play into this decision; a 12" may not cut it in a large room. I love my tempest but my wife does not.

6. TonyiBe

TonyiBe Stunt Coordinator

I just built a Shiva in a 115L tuned ported box at 22hz and i now wished i had a 15" tempest.

7. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Adam,

What size is your room?

There's somebody around here that sings the praises of his sealed Shiva, but I can't remember his name (EDIT: Found him - Dan Wesnor - check this thread. I believe he boasts flat to 20Hz, but he must be in a perfect room with perfect sub placement and perfect listening position! (I'm only flat to 21Hz w/ a ported 290L Tempest, near-field) (EDIT: He's also using an LT in the sealed sub, which makes a big difference!

I like the idea of going with a sealed Tempest until you have more room to build the monster-sized ported enclosure and use the Tempest in that.

JKS

8. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Remeber guys that we're talking about a ported 12" woofer verses a sealed 15" woofer. Apples and oranges. You can't just compare displacement capabilities and declare the winner. The ported Shiva would likely beat the Tempest by a couple dB around 30Hz while the Tempest will have couple more dB than the Shiva up around 80Hz. You could almost call it a draw.

But I'll stand by my original post - if you can stand the 122L enclosure then the sealed Tempest has some definite advantages. I built a vented 12 inch sub and I'm very pleased with it. The $75 deal-of-the-day on the Dayton DVC was what made me choose this woofer.