What's new

Which Klipsch Reference Towers to get?!? (1 Viewer)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well, I finally decided it's time to upgrade my front speakers which are Nuance with an 8" mid and a Silk Dome tweeter.

I have Klipsch Reference everywhere else, a RC-3 II for the center and RB-3's for the rears.

I was in the dealer today and got prices on the RF-3 II's, RF-5's, and the RF-7's. I was only able to listen to the RF-7's and RF-5's as they had no RF-3's in stock. Obviously the RF-7 sound incredible, and the RF-5 wasn't far behind, and they both sounded WAY better than what I was expecting, my god they are lovely.

Any ways, I am good friends with the owner of the shop so I'll be getting what I think to be a smoking deal, but it makes the decision between the 3 WAY harder.

Here are the price breakdown, in Canadian funds:

RF-3 II = (Retail $1400) my cost $680
RF-5 = (Retail $2500) my cost $1440
RF-7 = (Retail $3800) my cost $2088

So, as you can see these are some dam good prices. My original plan was to go for the RF-3's, but I would like to get the Cherry Veneer and the RF-3's don't offer that. The price of the RF-7's is almost 2 grand off retail so I am seriously considering these now, and god would I love them.

My questions are these:

1. What one is the best deal for the money.
2. What one would integrate with my RC-3 and RB-3's the best.
3. Would I really be better off spending 2 grand on the monster RF-7's??

Help me make my decision guys, I want a pair BADLY!

Thanks for any help guys

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I own a full 6.1 set of RFs (one RF3-II Main Center) and I love them.
If we are looking at best bang for the buck, the cheaper set (RF3II) is the best choice, if we are looking at BEST VALUE? At your prices, either of them, it all depends on the size of your wallet :)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Cam,

What a problem you are creating.

On my system I have:

Mains - klf-20's
Surrounds - RF-3's
Center - RC-7
Rear - RC-3

OK, having said that, you should get the RF-3's to timbre match your system. However with deals like that I would be tempted to get the 7's and a RC-7 as the 7's will drown out the less effecient RC-3. I know through experience.

Originally I had the 3's up front and moved them to the surround position to make way for the 20's. Then the 20's drowned out the RC-3. Two weeks ago I bought the Rc-7 so it could keep up with the 20's, and it does great. Now my problem is the 3's at surround and rear are getting lost while be it not as bad as before.

Eventially I am going to get the 7's at the main position and place the 20's at surround ands place the 3's at the rear positions. This will allow me to take the RC-3 and place on the bedroom system, where I can start all over again....dam.

Tough decision. If money is no object get the 7's and upgrade the rest. If it is then get the 3's...they sound great!

Phil

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
As I said on your Klipsch BB post on this...FOR THAT PRICE GET THE RF7'S!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I'll second Phil, if you can swing the 7's then get them, but plan on getting the matching center. Your other stuff can be moved to the surrounds/back center location...

An all Ref-3 system will sound good, but won't give you the same SPL capabilites of the 7's if you really like to play it loud. If that's not a concern then the 3's would be fine. A deal is only a deal if it's what you really want/need...

Cam S

Screenwriter
thanks for the help guys. One problem is that my dad paid for the RC-3 and the RB-3's, so these towers would be mine and I don't wanna replace his RC-3 with a RC-7 right now, only when I move out. One thing I don't really like about the RF-3's, is that I can't get them in the Cherry Veneer to match my Shiva sub, and man, that Cherry looks NICE. I don't really think the RF-5's are worth more than double the RF-3's though, I mean they are almost identical, unless comeone can say otherwise.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Cam,

Considering your situation it sounds like you pretty much are going to be building your set from the ground up then. I might suggest that you get the 7's in the cherry and adjust the speakers to "under perform" to match the others.

When you start adding to your system with your speakers you can match the 7's and be better off. By the way, what is that currancy in US Dollars.

Phil

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Ya, APPLEBITE, (how did I know your knickname :D)
I have R7's all the way around. I had the R3's all the way around, but decided to upgrade. It's a tough call but I will tell you this, I have no regrets at all upgrading to the R7's. IMO they simply are incredible.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dam, the secret is out, now everyone knows my secret identity.
Cam S = APPLEBITE
Might change it to Cam S as well though.
The only problem with the RF-7's is, well, they cost 2 grand! With me being only 21, it's a fairly big purchase. I could do it, but in a few months, who knows, maybe I could get the price down to $1900 :D
BTW the prices in American are (in my cost):
RF-3 = $443
RF-5 = $938
RF-7 = $1,361

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
Ya, know how much they are. I just bought mine. SPENDY, but damn they sound good! I got mine for $800.00 a peice by negotiating with the sales guy.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
cam,
Those are strong prices. The best price I can get in my area is about $1,600. I am still getting the 7's (Fish on the line):crazy:
Phil

Cam S

Screenwriter
1600 US!?!?!? my god, I must be getting killer prices. dam I wish I had the cash right now!!!

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hey guys, I noticed on Klipsch's product pages that the RB-5, RF-3, RF-5 all use different 8" drivers. Why are they different, and what are the differences??

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Acually it's the :RB "5", RF3 RF5, RC7, and RS7's that use all the same great 8 inch drivers. Only diffrences are crosovers. The drivers are the same. :D

Cam S

Screenwriter
why do they use different serial numbers on their website for each 8" driver then?

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Well, then numbers are the same for the drivers, but the RB5 is diffrent. I'm not sure why. Mabey it mounts different because of the smaller size. Less room.
I am sure that the drivers are the same. I have owned both the RB5 and RF3 as well. SAME DRIVERS.;)

Cam S

Screenwriter
so that means the price jump between the RF-3 and RF-5 is for the 2" larger horn, and the wood veneer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks