What's new

Which Klipsch Reference Towers to get?!? (1 Viewer)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
and slightly better overall quality, such as the finish of the speakers, the biwireable binding posts that are connected with good wire instead of the usual metal plate, etc...

IMO not enough of a difference to warrant the price difference, but then again I'm not too concerned with aesthetics...
I heard bothe speakers, and while there is a sound difference, it's not enough to warrant the price increase by istelf.

-Seb

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Cam,

I have not heard the RF5's. I own a set of RF-3's and they are bi-wireable with good binding posts and internally wired with Monster Z series cable. My RF-3's are biwired with Kimber Kable and sound great!!!

For the price difference I'm not sure I would go with the 5's unless they sounded substantially better. With the 5's I think you will have better bass due to the larger size of the cabinet.

However I think the 5's are closer in performance to the 3's than the 7's. For the price difference I would save a little while longer and get the 7's if you are considering the 5's.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
The RF5's are not good value if you ask me. If you are on the Klipsch site like me lots, they will try to make the low selling speakers look better with "stories" and reviews by well known people. (the RB3 and RF5)

Cam S, I do own the RF3's. I did own the RB5's. I like the 3's better for my music.

Ken Leggatt

Stunt Coordinator
The difference between the 8" driver in the RB-5 and the RF-3 and RF-5 is the impedence. It is a bit higher since the RF-3 etc use two drivers and the RB-5 uses one.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Ya, I don't think I'd get the RF-5's. It's either the RF-3's or the 7's. Only thing is that I can get 3 sets of RF-3's for the price of the RF-7's.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Cam,

It sounds like you have a delima with price -vs- performance reletave to value. Consider getting the 3's for now as they will timbre match your other stuff and don't look back. The 3's are excellent!!!

When you have more disosable income then get the 7's if you like or audition other speakers as you refine your taste.

Good Luck!!

Phil

Cam S

Screenwriter
Very good response Phil, thanks. I am thinking exactly how you are. I know I won't be dissapointed with the 3's, and with the price difference between the 7 and 3, and I get a ton more stuff and still be happy with what I have.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Get the 3's, the bigger versions sound a bit fuller but they all have that similar (klipsch reference) sound.
Then when you get tired of the 3's you can decide to upgrade easier since you didn't invest so much in klipsch and find yourself in an entraptment.
I definitly don't see the cost per performance benefits of going from 3 to 7. The price jump is just too big for my taste. I'd even be happy with the synergy line after hearing them on my friend's 5.1 setup.
The 3s should sound much better once you set them up right at home making the difference even smaller between the speakers you listed.
The time you can enjoy the 3s isn't worth the wait for 7s. The choice should be clear now I hope I enrolled you. :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
Ya it is pretty clear Chris. My price difference between the Synergy Series and the Reference Series is VERY small, that is why I went with the Reference speakers in the first place. It just would have been dumb to save 20 bucks and go with the Synergy stuff. I just wish I could get the RF-3's in Cherry. I don't understand why not, since the RB-3's are available in cherry, argh.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
They want to sell more RF5's. (Thats why the RF3's are black);)
The RF3's are cherry in Europe, because the RF5 and RF7 were not sold there.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Oh well, atleast it isn't the solid black vinyl of the RC-3. Question though, I have RB-3's and they have a black wood grain look, is this real veneer or the same "wood grain" vinyl that the RF-3 has?

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
I think its the same the RF3 has. Funny, I would of thaught that Klipsch would lower the price of their speakers WITHOUT the finish.
Like Paradigm.
Cam, I was cranking the new Eminem CD today. I think that you should get the RF3's all around as well. They sound SO good. Pounding deep Bass, great clear mids, and detailed highs. Nothing compairs to Klipsch for the MONEY!! NOTHING!
(not even the internet things with the weird finish..Forgot the name....some bird name..Oh yeah. I remember)
KLIPSCH ROCKS:D

Cam S

Screenwriter
I hope my dealer get's the RF-3's in, I'd really like to do a comparison between them and the RF-5's.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I must say I was watching a movie(can't remember which one now) and The plug for my samson amp which runs a cs+20-39 svs came out without my knowing and there was GREAT bass from my RF-3II's. Now it wasn't incredible bass that comes from a good sub but was definatly full body sounding. Just my 2 cents I figured I would throw in. I vote for the Rf-3II's great price, great speaker.

-B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks