What's new

3.1 or 5.1 with in ceiling surrounds? (1 Viewer)

Follow-up question to my speaker question for living room HT set-up. I've been reading and looking through things online and it seems clear to me that towers are far superior than in-ceiling. Our living room does provide for the LCR to be in the right places fortunately. However, the surround/rears aren't so easy. There is an open concept kitchen to the rear of the living room and the sides are flanked with a glass-door and angled fireplace on one side and the entryway and open concept dinning to the other

So here's the question, which is preferred given the limitations given - all-in 3.1 or a 5.1 with in-celing surrounds?

Recapping the essentials from the first thread - budget $5,000 for this but I also need a new AVR. I can use a set of Klipsch Reference series speakers for the fronts until I get something else. The room is 19' x 22' with 10' ceilings.

Don't have them handy and it's been a while. Their bookshelf speakers I think they are RB8/RC8 IIRC. Had them maybe up to eight years.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There's nothing wrong with in ceiling surrounds as long as you can properly place them; meaning behind the listening position and properly calibrated. I've heard a friend's setup like this in a large open space and it worked surprisingly well. Surrounds are intended to be diffused, not direct radiating, so in celing can work just fine.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can mount those things easy.Your choice.Mount those. (There are ceiling mounts specifically for this)In-ceiling KlipschForgoing surround

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks