What's new

which JBL series: Studio or Northridge (1 Viewer)

Cole M

Auditioning
I've been looking at the JBL speakers, but I need some input on which series to get. I'm looking at the N38 or ND310 of the Northridge series, and the S310 from the Studio series. Can anyone tell me the differences between the two, and if so, what preference one has? I plan on upgrading the center and surrounds with the same series, but for now I just need two good speakers for music listening.

Thanks.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
The Studio series is the higher end line of the two (as you can tell by the price).
In general the Studio series uses better construction overall. Studios use a better pure 1" pure titanium dome tweeter while the northridge use a 3/4" titanium laminate tweeter. The cabinets are also more substantial in the studio series.
If you are going for larger sized speakers I would look at the studios. If you want something small I would instead go with the northridge n24 or n26. The only truly small speaker in the studio line is the s36 which is a bit pricy.
Personally I own s38 for my mains, an s-center, and s26 for my surrounds. I have been very pleased with the Studio line so far and think it is one of the best values going today in speakers. If you are looking for some decent prices from an authorized dealer online cheak out J and R (www.jandr.com).
J

Cole M

Auditioning
Thanks for the input.

If I went witht the Studio series, it would go like this:

Mains L&R-S310's

Center-S center

Surrounds L&R-S26's

Northridge setup would go like this:

Mains L&R-ND310's

Center-N center

Surrounds L&R-N28's

Through jandr.com the price difference is $20, with the Studio series being more expensive. I'm just haveing a tough time choosing.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
For $20, take the Studio Series!

I have the S312s, S-Center, and S-26s. I think you'll be happy with either choice, but for only $20 more, you would be crazy not to go with the Studio Series.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S-310's, S-Center, PB-12 and the S38's (rear). Got the from J&R also. Only problem I'm having is wall mounting the S38's. I think they're a 1/4" too deep for the Btech BT77 wall mounts.

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I think you'll be very happy with either.

The S series do seem to be a little better constructed.

I have the N38s and Ncenter, and am very happy with their sound.

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
Seriously, you are debating a difference of spending an extra $20 for the S series ? If the difference was $200 I could see it. I did not realize they were that close in price, are you sure about this ? In any any event, go for the S series.

Cole M

Auditioning
Yes, with the setup I described, the price difference is only $20.
Studio series:
S310-$400/pair
S-center-$170
S26-$200/pair
Total=$770
Northridge series:
ND310-$440/pair
N-center-$110
N28-$200/pair
Total=$750
Difference of $20
This is through www.jandr.com
Shipping is free on all of these speakers!
I guess the S series is a better buy by what you guys are telling me.

Kyle P

Grip
I was lucky enough to audition both side by side and bought the s series which were hands down better for music and they work great for movies also.

I purchased them from etronics.com s-310 184 ea. s center 128 pb12 249 plus shipping.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
...for now I just need two good speakers for music listening...
I think the S38s would do very nicely. I own both Northridge and Studio (S38s and N38s) and think they're both great speakers. For my home theater, the N38s are a better choice because they fabulous for movies and very solid for music. I use the S38s in a music-only setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks