What's new

Best Buy Klipsch vs Best Buy Athena (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know the pros and cons of these speakers? It seems that the JBL Studio floor speakers are no longer carried by Best Buy and I really haven't ever like the sound of the Northridge series so I'm left with the two brands to ponder. I've spent some time listening to each within the store but with the 80db background noise found at most Best Buys, it's hard to get a good feel for these. I'm currently running a Yamaha 5590 receiver and was wondering which would be a better fit. On looks alone, the Athenas win hands down (they look a lot more expensive) and they also feel much heavier. Any input would be appreciated though I know the Athenas are still rather new so I'm not expecting much. By the way, I listen to about 75% home theater and 25% music.

Scott

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Here's my quickie review.

I think Athena (a Canadian manufacturer) uses the same national research facility to design their speakers as Paradigm does. And it shows!:emoji_thumbsup: The Best Buy I go to is an older one with an enclosed speaker "theater" so you can actually hear the speakers.

LJ

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,

Both companies make speakers that are well regarded here at HTF. It will really come down to what sounds best to your ears, especially since I think you'll find that these are two very different sounding speakers. All the Klipsch speakers I've heard have been way too bright for my taste -- fatiguing after just a few minutes.

I know what you mean about the noise at BB -- I can't hear myself think when I'm in one of their stores, let alone speakers! Both the BBs in my area are brand new and yet neither has a listening room, which I find surprising in light of the fact that their competition in the super-mega-store-electronics market do offer listening rooms (such as they are, they're still better than nothing). Would you consider talking to the manager about the lack of good listening conditions at BB and tell her/him that what you'd like to do is take both home for an audition and return the ones that don't rate as well in your personal evaluation?

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

Debbie

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies but I was really hoping to find out which would tie in best with my Yamaha receiver. Does anyone have an idea?

Scott

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
If you're still interested in the JBL Studio series speakers, which I like better than the other choices at Best Buy, you can get them at jandr.com for a fraction of the price that Best Buy charges and the shipping is free. jandr.com is also an authorized JBL dealer.
I went to a Best Buy yesterday and they only carried the Northridge series like you said but then I checked out another Best Buy and they still had the Studio series as well which I liked much better than the Northridge. But check out jandr.com if you're interested in JBL. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks