What's new

Which is better--2 big full range surrounds or 4 smaller surrounds? (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Last weekend I found a few of JBLs new Studio and Northridge speakers on sale for half price..actually just the floorstanders were on sale.

I bought them to re-sell but now I am considering keeping them because I like my S26s so much.

So I have all of the following speakers and I am not sure which ones I should keep.

(2) pair of JBL N38

(1) pair of JBL ND310

(1) pair of JBL S312

I know for sure I would want the S312s as mains and I could go buy an S-center on Ebay for about $140.

Now I am pretty confindent that the N and S series will match well enough to use the S up front and the N in the rear.

The question I have is which would sound better..4 N38s in the rear for a 7.1 set-up or 2 ND310s in the rear for a 5.1 set-up?

Basically more smaller speakers or less bigger speakers?..is the question.

Mains:

12" bass, 4" mid, 1" titanium tweeter

92db efficient

35hz-20khz

Crossover; 750hz, 3000hz

Center:

(2) 5 1/4 bass, 4" mid, 1" titanium tweeter

91db efficient

75hz-20khz

Crossover: 800hz, 3200hz

N38(have 4 of them):

8" bass, 4" mid, 3/4" titanium tweeter

90dbs efficient

45Hz-20Khz

Crossover: 1000hz, 5000hz

ND310(have 2):

(2)10" basses, 4" mid, 3/4" titanium tweeter

91dbs efficient

37Hz-20Khz

Crossover: 1000Hz, 5000Hz

Maybe I should keep them all and wait for a bigger place to live and more surround formats to come out that require more speakers?

Phil Wyeth

Grip
I'll nibble on this one

I would say that any speaker configuration you can dream up (within reason) that yields a 7.1 configuration, is the way to go.

i.e. Speaking from a surround standpoint, I would take number of speakers versus quality of speakers.

chella

Stunt Coordinator
With more and more software available in the THX EX and DTS ES (7.1 - or more correctly 6.1?) format, I would be prepared for for 7.1 arrangement than stay with 5.1. The lack of deeper bass in N38 can be compensated well with a good sub.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Thanks guys, if I do decide to keep these speakers I think I will prepare for a 7.1 set-up. I do plan on getting an Outlaw 950, it will be nice to have everything ready to go when it gets here.

Do you guys know exactly what configurations will work for a 7.1 set-up? I mean where should/can these surrounds go?

So we have L/C/R, rear surround L/R..where can/should these other two surrounds go?

Also in the rear, so you'd have 4 in a row?

To the sides behind seating position?

To the sides at seating position?

To the sides in front of seating position?

chella

Stunt Coordinator
I do not have a 7.1 setup, so take everything I say here as only a suggestion. I would start trying out placing the Left and Right Surrounds on the side walls directed toward the listening position. The Back/Rear surrounds would be placed along the rear wall behind the listening position aimed forward. Experiment - isn't that the fun part :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks