What's new

Which speakers setup should I get: PSB or JBL? (1 Viewer)

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
First let me pre-face by saying that I work at Best Buy and get a good discount off of JBL. I'm going to be pairing this up with an Onkyo TX-SR700 most likely and putting it in my HT room which measures 14x20. From what I've heard from others, the Northridge series is trash, but the Studio series is pretty decent. So which of these setups should I go for?
PSB
Image 7T (front)
Image 9C (front center)
Image 8C (rear center)
Image 10S (surrounds)
Subsonic 6 (sub)
Total-$2400-2700
JBL
S412PII (front)
S-Center 1 (front, rear center)
S38II (surrounds)
S120PII (sub)
Total-$1500-2000
Thanks guys.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I would strongly recommend PSB as they are well reviewed, sound great, and have won many awards.
I would also consider Paradigm if you have a source for that.
JBLs are not considered worthwhile unless you are a roadie for the Rolling Stones and need BIG sound.
:)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I did a direct blind comparison of the S38 and Image 2B (same room, same amps, same source). I choose the S38. I was surprised that the 2B seemed to have more bass, but the mids and highs of the S38 sounded better to me. Whether this is applicable to the rest of the lines I don't know.
I suggest you try and do a blind comparison as well and make your own decision. See if you can get both options setup in the same room in a manner that you can switch back and forth between them not knowing which you are listening to. Which ever you like best from this listening test buy.
Either way I strongly suggest you don't get the sub from JBL or PSB. Can do a lot better for the money. Look into SVS, Hsu, Adire, custom built from Link Removed or Link Removed, or DIY (do it yourself).
If DIY is an option you may want to build the rest of you speakers from kits as well. DIY has by far the highest price/performance ratio.
PS- From a design stand point most 2way horizontal MTM centers have off axis response problems (8C and 9C aren't exceptions). The S-Center uses a 3way design that doesn't suffer from this problem. If you have some seating in your room that will be off axis this should be considered.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on using my HT 80% for movies, 10% for TV viewing, and 10% for gaming. I guess I'll go into BB tomorrow and see how the JBL's sound.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
S38 and S412P said:
Click the above link to read the entire "OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY" article.
For more JBL S-Series INFO & Reviews w/links, see my webpage Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!.
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
^ Thanks so much for all the help! I think I might go the JBL route. It's much easier to buy them at work and return them if there's any problem. With the JBL those prices were online, so shipping would cost an arm and a leg as well. I'll price together the whole system tomorrow and let you guys know how much $$ it comes out to.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Trash? Really? Wow. At least you've heard that the Studio series is "pretty decent". Thanks for the info, that's very helpful. It's that kind of depthful analysis that really makes this board useful for people contemplating a speaker purchase.
-AM

ben_fowler

Grip
PSB is usually reserved for the higher eschelon of listener, in the eyes of most audio enthusiasts and reviewers/editors. The JBL studio series isn't bad though. See what you think of them. If you can get them at a decent discount it might be worth it.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
"reserved for the higher eschelon of listener"

^
|

Is this guy serious? What defines an eschelon of listener?!?

Chip E

Screenwriter
I used to own JBL HLS series speakers. Now i run all PSB Stratus series... i've never looked back.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
I'll have to add that I hardly see JBL's Northridge series as trash. I have an N center and N38's up front with N24's for the surrounds. These speakers sound great for HT and very good for music as well. I've personally never seen the Northridge series dogged on as being crap. In fact, if you visit Phil's website, you'll see a lot of very positive reviews on the Northridge series. I've done a lot of critical listening and can say that, for the money, the Northridge series are an excellent speaker. I've owned Energy and B&W as well and like these just as well as the others. If you can afford the studio series, I'd definitely give them the edge, but the Northridge are a very good speaker as well. JMHO of course. Let us know what you think of the setup you bring home.

KyleGS

Second Unit
I've listened extensively to the S- and N-series from JBL and found them both to be very good speaekrs for the money. Even compared to Def Tech, Polk, and a few others; the N-series sounded better to me. Of the two however I would go with the S-Series.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Also remember that the N series is not close to the price specs of the PSB's. JBL's N series is an absolutely wonderful budget speaker. For those who want the HT experience but feel nervous and don't want to break the wallet, they'd be an excellent choice.

Heck, even with the sound quality the S series puts out, it is priced well below the PSB's. I'm not talking down any PSB speaker, though. I've never listened to them, so it'd be wrong of me to say anything at all about them.. good or bad. I can, however, comment on the JBL S series. I have S26's all around, centered with an S-Center and anchored by a PB10.

For the price, reputation, and sound, I'd have it no other way.

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I have not heard PSB speakers, but I have heard the JBL S38, S38II, and the entire N series line(floor standing, center, and rear). The S38 & S38II sound great. The N line is "okay." I have also heard paradigm, energy, klipsch, bose, and sony. The S38 sound as good as the paradigm & klipsch bookshelf speakers.

I must that the myth of the 38s only playing loud rock & roll is only a myth. I listen to classical, rb, rap, & pop. Everything sound great to me.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Well update.

For the
S38II
S412PII
S120PII
S-CenterII

The BB price was $2300+.
And by going to JBL direct the price comes to a whooping.

$970.

I think I'm going to order these really soon.

Are these good for handling DTS/DD5.1? Is the sound clean?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Yes, JBL Studio series do a very good job for HT.
I'd strongly recommend ditching the 412 for the 312 and putting the savings into a better sub. I'll repost what I did above for sub options:
Either way I strongly suggest you don't get the sub from JBL or PSB. Can do a lot better for the money. Look into SVS, Hsu, Adire, custom built from Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio, or DIY (do it yourself).
Give this thread a read (especially the link to a quote from Brian Florian) to learn why I feel this way.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=brian+florian
I believe, as Brian recommends in that post, that all speakers should be set to small and a sub should handle everything from below ~80hz. Don't need powered towers to get good response to 80hz, and to handle the LFE and bass from all the other speakers you want the best sub you can get. I think you want to stick with commercial stuff. So my first choice would be an SVS PC+ series sub. Next is a toss up between the Hsu VTF3 and Adire Dharman. The JBL S120P will not be able to compete with any of these subs (enclosure is too small and it is a sealed design).
Another question is what are you planning on powering the JBLs with and how close to reference level do you want to be able to get?
Edit: oops, you mention that at the top. The Onkyo SR-700 should be fine for these speakers. But don't expect to be able to do full reference level cleanly. 10dB under reference should be easy and 5dB under reference may also be possible cleanly in a medium sized room. If you want to go louder than that cleanily you will need more power.

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
For the
S38II
S412PII
S120PII
S-CenterII

The BB price was $2300+.
And by going to JBL direct the price comes to a whooping.

$970.

I think I'm going to order these really soon.
Are you sure about the $970? The S412II are like $500 each

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks