What's new

Which DVD movie has THE most bass ever? (1 Viewer)

GregK

Screenwriter
Hmmm.. One that comes to mind is the remastered DTS 6.1 mix of "The Haunting". On the Dolby Digital 5.1 release the bass is certainly very strong, but the separate DTS re-issue has bass that IS system threatening with very very loud deep bass in the LFE track and is also present in the five primary channels. I am not sure which one I would prefer to watch on a regular basis, as my current subwoofer does not have excellent limiting on higher than usual bursts of LFE like the DTS version has, but if you want a disc that rates up there with the most bass ever, the DTS-ES release certainly qualifies.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
The Phantom Menace laserdisc from Japan. Also the Dolby Digital (AC-3) laserdisc of Goldeneye. These are the only two movies where I ever felt that my system was truly in physical danger. No DVDs I own have come close to what these two laserdiscs were capable of doing.

-Lyle J.P.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Ditto on the GoldenEye LD. I always have to remember to activate the -10 dB attenuator before watching it otherwise the sub will start to travel across the room. :)

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to suggest the AC-3 laserdisc of Goldeneye, but several have already beaten me to the punch.

Lots of bass, but I wouldn't call it good bass. It's overwhelming and boomy.

Charlie

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
My roommate, who is not a film buff by any means (he specializes in music instead) was VERY impressed by the bass at the theatrical screening of OUTLAND he saw a number of years ago in NYC. If I remember correctly, the 70mm prints of this film used a unique bass-heavy technique on the soundtrack that was used on a handful of other films, including Superman II. [I hope someone can help fill in my hazy memory on this.]

In any case I understand the current DVD of this film is a disappointment but I eagerly await a properly done version of this film.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I thought the original Resident Evil release had a ridiculously loud bass track on it.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
The opening seconds of Amores Perros were so thunderous that I nearly thought my subwoofer was going to tip over! Those of you who have watched the DVD know exactly that I'm talking about. (Let me briefly encourage anybody who has not seen that movie to do so, by the way.)

Some other bass-heavy DVDs:
Superman (opening credits, death of Krypton)
Cast Away (plane crash)
Face/Off (throughout)
Fight Club (plane crash and throughout)
Mulholland Drive (certain scenes at the end that I probably should not describe)
Run Lola Run (throughout but opening credits especially)
Saving Private Ryan (tanks, tanks, tanks)
Yellow Submarine (throughout)

Link Removed

Shaun

Second Unit
Monsters Inc. has some very active bass as does my favorite Star Wars Episode II: AOTC.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The new disc of Eraserhead has a tremendous amount of very low bass throughout---it has rattled more stuff in my theatre room than LOTR and AOTC and The Haunting DTS! And it's relentless, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks