What's new

which da-lite screen for basement? (1 Viewer)

Robert Silge

Agent
I'm having a tough time sorting this out. I just got an InFocus 4805 for my basement HT (make that basement HT to be, haven't moved there yet). I was looking at getting either a 92" or 106" Da-lite model B HDTV pull down screen. The projector will be ceiling mounted and the room should be pretty darn dark (only two small windows that I can cover well). My concern is trying to figure out which surface to go with, matte white, high contrast, high power, video spectra.... Near as I can figure the main advantages of the more expensive surfaces are that they do better with ambient light. But I've also read that some of them do better with wrinkles too. Any help appreciated.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would stay away from High Power or Glass Beaded. The gain is too high and will hotspot (center much brighter than the edges) as well as have a much narrower viewing angle. I have Video Spectra and really like it. I'd say w/ the 4805 (high contrast ratio but not super bright) Video Spectra would be a good choice. HCMW would also offer a bit of help in the brightness department over regular matte white but have somewhat better blacks than the Video Vpectra. Since you're in a basement and won't have any light control issues i'd probably go with the HCMW. I went with the Video Spectra to help out when viewing w/ some ambient light but it doesn't sound like this will be an issue for you. As long as you don't wrinkle the screen material yourself the weight of the bottom bar should be enough to pull it tight w/out wrinkles. If not you can easily add a tensioner that's available from Dalite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks