What's new

which capacitor for active crossovers? (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Im about to make a purchase from digikey so i can build some active crossovers.

Should I use metallized polypropylene, polyester (mylar) or polypropylene capacitors?

Im trying to keep costs down so can i maybe use the metallized polyprops or mylar as bypass caps or bass or something?

Polyprops seem alot pricier

Thanks

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
It really wont make too much of a difference. You should always start on the cheap and upgrade down the road so that you can truley see what makes a difference and what doesnt.

I've spent countless dollars on so called magic resistors and uber 733t capacitors that make the sound seamless and so transparent. But my hearing couldn't tell the difference between it and a radioshack speaker with a 6db/passive x-over.

Seriously, start small. if you feel that a cap could improve the sound, switch out a particular section like the intake signal or output. Then see if it made a difference.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
It's true that it won't make much difference, but some say you should avoid polyester (or MKT) caps in the signal path. And according to the measurements in the "Picking capacitors" article, polypropylene might be a bit better than MKP. But for line level equipment the capacitors (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks