What's new

Which Axiom setup would be better for movies? (1 Viewer)

Yuli

Agent
I've decided to go with Axiom (after listening and comparing them for 2+h). Now has come the time to decide on the components i want.

I was thinking of:

M22Ti fronts
QS4 rears

or

M40Ti fronts
QS4 or QS8

or

M22Ti front and rear

or

M40Ti fronts
M22Ti rears

or

M22Ti fronts
M3Ti rears

What do you think would be (in your opinion) the most efficient setup for mainly movies?

Jim Hubbard

Auditioning
Definitely the M22s for the fronts and M3s for the back. You do not need powerful M22s for the back unless you are listening to DVD-A in a large room. Also, the bipolar speakers QS4 and QS8 are used for people who want to listen to mostly music.
It is just my opinion, take it as you want. However, I listen to 70% music and 30%HT and I have M3Tis in front as mains. I am going to move them to the back and get M40s or M60s as mains. The M3's ROCK!!!! I know I am not going to be disappointed when I get my towers.
Several reviews have been posted explaining how forward and clear the M22s are for HT.
When you decide to get a CC, get the factory outlet VP150 for $300. It is the best CC you can get under $550,
Am I too up on Axiom products??? :)

Yuli

Agent
Thanks for the reply Jim.

So you really think the VP150 would be better than the 100 in the M22ti fronts/M3ti rears setup?

I am also getting the EP175 as sub.

My room is 22x22 feet, i am looking for something solid, yet not overly loud or powerfull.

Both the M22ti fronts/M3ti rears and M40ti fronts/M3ti rears setups are within my budget. Which would be the better HT system?

As well i am thinking of getting the Pioneer VSX D810S/D850S as reciever, or would that be to much (or to little)?

As well why would the M3Ti be a better choice than the QS4 or QS8 as rears?

Thanks in advance...

:b

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
i heard that w/ the m22's, the vp150 works well.
the vp150 is better than the vp100, so go for it.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Yuli,

I got a chance to hear an Axiom setup yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. The sub was custom built using a 15" driver (built by yours truly!) But I wouldn't even dream of spending $500 for the EP175 sub. You'd get much better performance with an Adire Audio Rava for $399. It uses one of the best 12" woofers and 250W amps that you can find in their respective price ranges. The Rava will be head and shoulders above the EP175.

Brian

Jim Hubbard

Auditioning
Yuli,
I have to agree with Brian. As far as cost/performance, you are much better off spending your $500 on a subwoofer outside the Axiom family. However, $500 can get you an AWESOME SVS PCi 25-31!!!!! www.svsubwoofers.com
I got one on Friday and just watched Jurassic Park III yesterday. It sounded unbelievable.
As far as the surround speakers are concerned, it is another cost issue. You won't get any better sound by going to the bipolar QS line over the M3Tis for 80%-100% HT use. So why pay $470 for QS8s when $275 M3s will serve your purpose very well?
The M40 vs. M22 for mains question is tough. They are 2 different types of speakers, tower vs. bookshelf respectively, so that might help your decision. But you can't go wrong with either of the two.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a subwoofer?

If so, I don't think you need floorstanding, full(er)-range speakers for movies. I have a preference for floor-standers, but that's only to do with music.

If you have a subwoofer, I'd recommend one of two options:

VP150 center (do not skimp on the center, particularly if movies are your primary concern), and M22s all around. A perfect, seamless soundstage will be the result. This will also be a great setup for DVD-Audio/SACD sources, but the direct radiating rear speakers may detract a bit from an ideal "movie setup" (see below).

-or-

VP150 center, M22 fronts, and QS8 rears if your room allows for dipole ("quadpole") type speakers. That is, can you put them on side walls directly to the sides and above ear level with a rear-wall no further than 8-10 ft behind your listening position. QS4's would be a decent alternative, but if you can spend the extra money for the QS8's, do it. This option is more "movie-oriented" as the dipole/quadpole speakers will provide a much more immersive sound than the direct-radiating M22s.

Yuli

Agent
If i go with the M22 fronts, QS8 rears, VP150 center and SVS PCi 24-31 sub. What would be a good reciever with this setup? I was think along the lines of HK AVR 220, Pioneer VSX D810s, etc. Any suggestions?
Thanks again
;)

Jim Hubbard

Auditioning
Yuli,

Like Rich said, I think you are on track with the M22s and the VP150. As far as the surrounds, the QS8s will work fine, but I am not sure they are necessary since you said your system will be for "mainly movies". Anyway, you still have to have to deal with the situation of mounting them on the sides of your room instead of the back (may or may not be an issue given your room configuration).

I would recommend the Denon 882 receiver simply because it powers my system and it sounds great. A 5.1 receiver with 80 watts per channel, it only costs $325 online. The 882 would power the system you are leaning towards quite nicely...

Eric_Singer

Agent
Yuli,

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these selections, but my personal pick for a system that is primarily for movies, not music, would be:

M40's in the front (much better bass)
VP150 in the center (from what I've heard, just much better than VP100)
QS4's in the rear (you should get more of a dispersed "surround" effect than with direct-radiating (M3/M22) speakers.)
Hsu VTF-2 or SVS 25-31 PCi subwoofer. Adire Rava, while a great sub, is much better for music than movies. Hsu or SVS will really give you that HT "slam."

Good Luck!

Eric

Yuli

Agent
I've pretty decided (have been convinced) to go with the M22Ti and VP150 setup.
Not sure about the surrounds, QS8 or M3Ti. I have plenty of room and i don't think i'll have a problem placing the QS8 left and right of coutch. I'll post a diagram shortly after i get back from my work.
As far as sub goes, i am really really REALLY excited about the SVS PCi 25-31! :D

You will love the VP150! I upgraded from a VP100 to the 150 and it is a night and day difference in sound. The VP150 just wraps you in sound, whereas the VP100 was just not as impressive. I have a relatively small living room, (1 bedroom apartment) and the VP150 and QS8s I have fill the room with clear detailed sound for movies. These speakers are not bright at all with my Denon 3802, so don't worry about that. I can't wait to get either the M22ti or M60ti for fronts. Axiom speakers are great, and even better since I got these speakers from the outlet. I only could see one blemish on one of the QS8s, but it was easily hidden.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
You will love the VP150! I upgraded from a VP100 to the 150 and it is a night and day difference in sound. The VP150 just wraps you in sound, whereas the VP100 was just not as impressive.
Brad,

I agree 100%...since I hooked up my VP150 (and sold my VP100), I've been telling this to anyone who will listen!!!

Yuli

Agent
Thanks for all your help guys...:)
My room is pretty big (22x23 or something around there), and i have room for QS8s.
I want to get the SVS sub, but we'll see. As for the receiver i am still thinking about, HK AVR 320, Pioneer VSX810, etc all have come to my attention.
I'll let you guys know once i have the system
Thanks again :D

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
guys-
this thread is very interesting to me. my room setup is about 15X22. i was looking to spend probably around 2k to 2500 for a nice system.... the axiom speaker line comes very highly recommended by a number of individuals on the forum. so, with that in mind, here's what i was looking at...

first of all, i'm not too sure on whether i should go with a kick arse sub and ditch the towers all together, or what... but, i'm used to large woofer towers to produce a fairly amount of bass. so, i'm kind of iffy on the following setup (primarily because i've never heard of axiom before reading this forum) and because i'm just scared to invest this much... but the following setup is what i have in mind:

VP 150 ($350) as my center
M60 as my mains ($800)
M22ti ($400) as rears
SVS 25-31 ($700)
and now for the amp...
don't know

i think my entire setup is faulty and i dont know if it'll work out. is it silly to opt for the M60s as mains? i know its nice to have speakers that are generally made from the same materials so that the sound is cleaner and fuller... but i just feel like i'm spending way too much money somewhere... but i can't figure out where. the center channel is supposedly unbelievable- the mains are a little pricey... i don't know how well the 22tis will perform...

mr. john garcia has been nice enough to provide me with the following list of suggested amps:
Marantz SR5200 or 6200
Denon 1802 or 2802
Onkyo TX-SR600

will those amps have sufficient power to run all 5 speakers as well as the sub? i like loud movies... car chases, shootouts... action types. so, will the amps deliver enough to run them all? if anyone has axioms... please, PLEASE sell me on these speakers. i'm fairly convinced, but need a little more coaxing.
thanks.
peter

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Peter,

I highly recommend the M60ti's as mains, expecially if you listen to 2-channel music much; they're really great speakers. Also, don't forget you can save quite a bit by getting speakers from the factory outlet (don't worry, you won't be able to see the blemishes without close inspection, if you can see them at all). Not all models and colors are available from the Factory Outlet since it depends on what they have on hand at the time, but you can get the M60's in black for $640, that's $160 savings right there. Also, if you're going to go direct-radiating for the surrounds, you could probably get by with the M3ti's to save some more money. The M22ti is quite tall for a bookshelf speaker, keep that in mind if you're going to be wall-mounting or WAF is an issue. Alternately you could go with the QS4's if you want the quadpolar design without spending the premium for the QS8's.

FYI, here's the setup I recently purchased (which I am very happy with):

M60ti mains (Factory Outlet)
VP150 center
M3ti surrounds
Single QS8 for center back
SVS 20-39PCi subwoofer

Grand total was about $2150, and the price on the sub has come down since then.

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
jeff-
your system sounds very similar to what i have in mind.. some questions though. what is powering your speakers? do you have a receiver only, or are you running an additonal amp? sorry if this is so garbled- i'm not completely fluent in AV language, but i guess you have a 6.1 system??? sounds like a nice set up. how much will i be spending on a nice amp to power the system?
what other speakers did you look at before deciding to go with these? what were the main reasons you chose axiom? people here seem to love them... they look gorgeous, if they treat me half as nice as the way they look, i'll be in for a treat.. now, only if women worked that way ;)
p

Rob Landolfi

Stunt Coordinator
Peter,

Lots of great advice on this thread for you (and the rest of us). Jeff makes a good point about the M3 vs M22 rears. Your proposed system will definitely be awesome, but you may be able to save some money with no performance sacrifice by going with the M3's as surrounds vs the M22's.

I don't know anything about amps and separates... sorry. I have the Axiom Epic Master system (VP100 center, M3's up front, QS4 surrounds and EP175 sub), and I run it with the Onkyo TX-SR 600 in a 20X12 room that has an additional 9X8 "bumpout" along the front wall where the TV/Center/mains/sub are located. The Onkyo works great, and both it and the Axioms (speakers/sub in Boston Cherry)blend into the decor that my wife is so strict with. The sound for movies and music has been superb. It has been as intense as I could ever want during U-571, Titan AE, etc, and more detailed than I ever previously imagined during some demo DVD music discs that I've come across (AIX Records demo mentioned in a recent Axiom newsletter; Kenwood freebie DVD from their Soverign website). Good luck, and hope you're able to enjoy your system soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks