What's new

Which Axiom setup would be better for movies? (1 Viewer)

JoshuaR

Agent
Since this thread is still on fire, I'll throw in a scenario! :)
Lets say you have a VP150 CC, M3ti fronts, and a pair of QS4's close to the rear of the side walls. What would you use ideally for the 6th channel, another QS4 or a M3ti?
Thanks for all the info guys, its been very helpful!!

Marc H

Second Unit
Guyza,
That is a nice feature of the VP150Se. The dual tweeters with the woofers in the middle give it a smooth off axis response. Handy if there will be a wide variety of seating locations.

Joshua,
Since you are using QS4Se as side effects, a single QS4Se would be best for the centre rear. By matching the hybrid tweeter across the rear three, I think you would enjoy a more seamless panning effect between those three.

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Marc!
That's what I thought, but wanted some reassurance with regard to the VP150.

Also....is it not a good practice to put bookshelf mains up on a wall in the corner of a room and angle them down towards the listeners?

I would think this would help dispersion and provide a wider soundstage, but it may also cause poor blending with the center channel which is lower down on top of the TV.

If it's not a good practice than I'll have to figure out a way to get stands into my already crowded living room....or use towers.

Thanks for the forum's help!

Marc H

Second Unit
Corners are bad.
The speakers will get boomy and the tone will be coloured.
Can you keep them in from the corners but still maintain about 6 to 8 feet between the speakers?
Ideally, try and place them so the tweeter is at the same height as your ears when seated.

Dan Mastro

Agent
last friday i ordered an epic 60 system to go into family room. approx 16x20, 7 ft high walls to cathedral ceiling. on suggestion of joe at axiom, purchased yamaha rvx1300 receiver. this replaces 25 year old panasonic receive w/35 watts per, 2 marantz 6g, or g6 speakers and two boston acustics, small ones don't know the models. we listen to 85% music and have just got into ht. i can't believe how long friday to tuesday seems. not a grinch, but not looking forward to going out for family gathering on x-mas eve. would rather be home with my new toys. question..when i finally get the system, do i want to wire sub on high or low level settings?
thanks
dan

JimC_A

Stunt Coordinator
Marc had me hook mine up to line level in. He'd have to tell you why. I know my system sounds great. Does that count for anything?

Scott H

Supporting Actor
If I may add a question...

Interested in experiences or comments regarding Axiom with Onkyo receivers... Looking into speaks for use with an Onkyo DX-SR600 in a movie only setup.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the market for Axiom speakers. I have a 26'x15' dedicated home theater with ~7.5 ft. ceilings.

Here is my proposed 7.1 home theater setup: M60ti fronts, 4 QS8 surrounds, VP 150 center, and the SVS 16-46cs w/ 1000 watt amp.

My question: Do you think I am going overboard on the sub? Any other suggestions?

-Gerry

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I am also considering the Axiom brand in a long road of research. I have reviewed the Paradigm Studio 20 and was completely blown away with the seemless blend of warmth and clarity.

Now I have postponed my purchase until at least the end of the month. I am putting in hardwood floors and have recently upgraded my tv, dvd player, and receiver; an Onkyo 700.

Does anyone know how the Axioms compare to the Paradigm Studios? Also. what are the best front speakers for a 15 x 25 room with hardwood floors and concrete walls in Axiom line. I have heard the M22's get 'bright' sounding because of their natural neutral and revealing nature. They must sound even worse with hardwood floors.

Dan Mastro

Agent
just before year's end after researching and reading, and speaking with joe at axiom, i purchased the epic 60, and yami rxv1300 ( i think). i replaced a 30 yr old panasonic receiver, 25 yr old marantz, and 10 yr old ba speakers. when i first hooked it up, my 18 year old said it sounded like a night club. i haven't tweaked yet except to set speaker sizes. i must say in a 16x20 room with cathedral ceiling even the old albums sound better than i imagined. now we watch less tv, and the wife keeps telling me to turn it down! great system.
dan

Dan Mastro

Agent
just before year's end after researching and reading, and speaking with joe at axiom, i purchased the epic 60, and yami rxv1300 ( i think). i replaced a 30 yr old panasonic receiver, 25 yr old marantz, and 10 yr old ba speakers. when i first hooked it up, my 18 year old said it sounded like a night club. i haven't tweaked yet except to set speaker sizes. i must say in a 16x20 room with cathedral ceiling even the old albums sound better than i imagined. now we watch less tv, and the wife keeps telling me to turn it down! great system.
dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks