What's new

Which arrangement would produce better results? (sub related) (1 Viewer)

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
My original question regarding sub size and placement was asked HERE . I liked the SVS sub that was recommended in that thread but I don't know if it's the right way to go. I am torn between utilizing one sub, like the SVS, or utilizing two subs for a much more elegant layout. I'm not sure how two smaller subs would compare to the one larger sub though.

In this FLOOR PLAN you can see I had three locations marked out for utilizing one sub. The problem is the two niche locations are only 24" deep so the single sub would be relatively small for the room size. The location outside the niche would be okay except for I don't know what's going into the room just yet. So I could end up blocking it with something later. The wife doesn't want to be restricted in placing things in that area because of a sub.

With all this in mind I've decided to try to place two smaller subs in the corners of the niche as shown in this ELEVATION . I've shown the larger SVS PB2-Plus outside of the niche to show the scale of the room. I don't know what make or model the two smaller subs would be. One more thing to point out is the flooring in this room is carpet over concrete.

Now for the questions:

1) Would utilizing two smaller subs get close to the performance of the one larger sub?
2) Would elevating the two subs improve performance? If so, what is a good height from the floor?
3) What type of sub would be best for inside the niche (sealed, rear port, down firing, etc...)? I would most likely have a built in done so each sub would have it's own compartment. This brings up my fourth question.
4) Depending on which type of sub was chosen how much larger would the niche compartment have to be in order to give the best performance? This is the tough one.

I think that's all for now. I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or in the speaker section. It's fine by me if it should be moved.

Thanks
Wade

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Wade,
If I read your other post correctly, you have about 900 sq ft with 9 ft ceilings, or 8100 cubic feet. That's a really big room, so you'll need the biggest sub you can afford, placed as close to a tri-corner boundary as you can manage.

SO, to answer your questions:
1.) Unlikely, unless you get two high dollar, high excursion subs like Sunfire. $$
2.) Would be worse up high. Subs work best with at least two room boundaries (floor/wall) or for best output, a corner configuration (wall/wall/floor)
3.) You are looking for the best combo of driver excursion and driver diameter in the smallest possible size. Think of it in terms of displacement, like an automobile engine. The more displacement, the more bass output. Ported subs tend to be bigger than their sealed counterparts. There is a class of electronically equalized sealed subs that excel in output vs. size. They would work best in your 'niche' location.
4.) You should use at least one 15" driver for this size room. For your $1500 budget, something like a Paradign Servo 15 might be the ticket.

If you go the 'niche' route, (best WAF, my friend. No doubt you are being driven in this direction, correct?) you might want to contact Brian Bunge for a custom set of subs. He can be found in the DIY forum. He can build subs that will fit your cabinetry perfectly and make prodigious bass.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wade,

Unfortunately all three of your potential locations are pretty sucky. As Tom noted, you’ll get the best performance – output and extension - from corner placement, and you don’t have one available. Plus your room is huge. Those two negatives will only be overcome with brute force (large drivers and high power) if you want good extension at near-reference levels.

Just for a comparison, I’m in a 6200 cubic ft. room and my two corner-loaded 12” Shivas (in slightly undersized boxes, equalized to get good extension to 25Hz, powered at 325 watts each) are barely getting the job done. I can’t imagine getting by with less than two highly capable 15’s in a room that size, especially without corner reinforcement. I think the only way you’ll pull that off with your budget is with the DIY route.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
What's beneath the room? A basement? Any chance you can set up an Infinite Baffle arrangement? I just completed my IB sub over the weekend and it's amazing.

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

You are reading my post correctly. The 900 sq ft is for the family room and kitchen combined. Both have 9' ceilings. Of course there are counters and what not that could be subtracted from the overall volume but either way I still have a big room to work with. I originally thought the wife would want everything hidden but I believe she is okay with having things exposed. As long as I can hide the cables then I think we'll both be happy. I believe if I can provide her with some nice shelving then I can do what I want.

With that in mind I have tried to layout a new niche design that can be seen HERE. This is just a starting point but it illustrates the direction I'm trying to go. I've pretty much created one big cavity for the mains and TV and surrounded that with shelving. I've dropped the idea of placing the subs in the niche. I have the option to place the sub to the left of the niche but this would put it out in the open with only one wall behind it. This is where the sub cabling comes out of the wall.

Wayne,

The sub shown outside the niche is in a corner. Only the tread portion and railing of the stairs is visible from the family room. There is a 3-4' wall where the landing is and this is where the sub is shown in my layout.

Phillip,

The only thing below the carpet is about 10" of concrete. I wanted a basement but they cost an arm and a leg here.

Wade

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Wade,
The Sub location shown on your last elevation drawing will be your best option. Nice work. I think you'll be really pleased with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks