What's new

Which are the best PS1 games? (1 Viewer)

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for (inexpensive if possible) PS1 game titles for me to play with my 7 year old. I've had this thing for 2 years (given to me by a friend) and never hooked it up- it's a lot of fun, actually. Bear with me guys, I'm 36 years old and sometimes feel I shouldn't be playing these things at all, but I'm a kid at heart, anyway. So, we have CTR and Spyro and like them a lot. CTR is a blast! What else is good out there for us.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Would help to know what kind of games you and the 7 year old enjoy playing Joss?

Jose G

Supporting Actor
We only have CTR (crash team racing) and Spyro. Is there a web sight that I can go to to look for these titles? I'm looking for E rated games of course.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
All the Crash Bandicoot games are pretty good, the last 2 are less frustrating than the first game. They are 1-player only affairs, though.

The Gran Turismo games are the best driving games on PS1. The arcade modes are easy enough to get into.

Parrapa the Rapper is a cute, short game.

Some personal faves amongst E rated games are Motor Toon Grand Prix (the cartoon racer that preceeded Gran Turismo) and Klonoa (2.5-D platformer), although at this point they're probably hard to find

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
Here's ten PS One gems (in no particular order):
Skull Monkeys
Probably the most underrated platformer of all time.
One
A 3D 'Contra' that outdoes the 2D ones? Mmmmm, could be...(by Visual Concepts, the guys that do the NFL games for Sega).
Stunt Copter R/C
Requires a bit more skill than the average game, but it's still a terrific little title.
G-Darius
The best shooter on PS One (not FPS, mind you).
Vagrant Story
One half of the two best Square PS One games (no, I'm not crazy).
Final Fantasy Tactics
Square's other half :)
Castlevania: SOTN
By no means underrated, but deserving of every last shred of praise it gets (the third best Castlevania of all time).
Wild 9
Another hellishly underrated title, Wild 9 is another fantastic (albeit short) platformer.
Devil Dice
This (or its sequels) is just about the best puzzle game of all time, with its only real competition coming from (of course) Tetris and the various incarnations of Puyo Puyo.
Strider 2
The sequel to one of the greatest 16-bit/arcade titles of all time, and spat upon by the general populace that would rather elevate dreck such as Final Fantasy VIII to the top of the charts.
Most of these should be fairly easy to nab on eBay for fairly few $$$.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Nice list, but I can't imagine a seven year old really enjoying most of those......

I would second Parappa the Rapper and also throw in a recommendation for the severely underrated spinoff Um Jammer Lammy (which adds a two-player mode).

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

The only stretches for a seven year old might be the Square titles--have you ever seen a five year old play Super Mario Bros. 3?

Scary.

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Devil Dice. Great puzzle game, but that's another one you're probably not going to find in the stores or cheaply on ebay. Just imported Xigo (Devil Dice 3) and it's still a ton of fun.

Another good game is Ape Escape. Deep platformer with innovative use of the Dual Shock, some fun 2-player mini-games. It's a Greatest Hits game, so it's 15 bucks or so.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Vagrant Story
One half of the two best Square PS One games
The other one being Xenogears of course:D. Though I would expand it to maybe three best and include Chrono Cross.
As for some PS1 games that you and your 7 year old may enjoy, I would recommend Medievil and its sequel Medievil 2. Both are some really great and enjoyable platform/action titles (though the first is far superior IMHO). Not too mention they are a real treat to break out during the Halloween season. Its like playing a Tim Burton movie.
I'll second Ape Escape. Very fun game and I'm looking forward to the PS2 follow up.
An older reccommendation and a bit more on the old school adventure side (and maybe a bit hard to find) is Discworld and Discworld 2. I had a blast with both games (main character voiced by Eric Idle of Monty Python fame). Some fun puzzles to solve with your child.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I have to second "Castlevanian: Symphony of the Night." A 7-year old could understand the point pretty easily, and you'll love the game, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks