What's new

Which FF for PS1? (1 Viewer)

Philip_cw_H

Auditioning
Okay, I've got a PS1 and I want to buy one of the Final Fantasy games. Upgrading to the PS2 for FFX is not an option.

I've never played any of the series, except for a demo of FFVII ages ago, which I enjoyed. Right now I'm learning towards picking up FFVII just to start at the beginning, so to speak. But I just want to know if I'd be better off with another version.

I'm certainly not a hardcore gamer. I just pulled the PS out of the closet and dusted off my old games and I'm just looking for a game that I can play off and on and enjoy. I've got the sports games that I can play, I've got the racing games, I've already played Resident Evil, and now I'm looking for the best installment of the FF series that I can enjoy.

All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
VII or IX. It doesn't really matter what order you play them in. I don't know, pick up the one you can find cheapest used. You've got the SNES-->PSX ports of 4, 5 and 6 in the Anthology and Chronicles collections too. You really can't go wrong.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I agree. Old-school Final Fantasy is some of the best RPG-ing EVER! It just depends. Getting Anthology or Chronicles is certainly the most bang for the buck. If it's flashier Final Fantasy you're looking for, VII, VIII, or IX will more than satisfy. As mentioned above, it really doesn't matter which order you play the games as they have nothing to do with one another.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
With the exception of some good online retailers, you are generally going to find Final Fantasy VII for much less than IX. I found mine for $9.99.

As far as the 'next wave' of FF games are concerned, VII definitely blazed the trail. It's a great place to start (i'm still working on it, hehe).

Cheers,

Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would say to go for Chronicles, since it has FF4 (some say the best FF) and Chrono Cross (some say the best RPG).

My favorite thus far (of FF5-9) is 9.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Actually its Chrono Trigger Morgan, but close enough. Chrono Trigger, btw (for the uninitiated, I know you know what it is Morgan) is the PSX sequal to the SNES Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger gets my vote as best game ever on any system period.

Oh, and I'd get FF IX. Much better than VII or VIII, but not quite as good as IV or VI. FF VI is my favorite FF by the way.

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm... Chrono Cross is the PS sequel. Chrono Trigger is the SNES original. Morgan was correct.

Peter_A

Second Unit
FF VII or Final Fantasy Tactics. Tactics is more of a strategy game, not so much an RPG in the sense that FF VII is.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably go with VII or IX-the chronicles and anthology ports are actually pretty bad. Lots of slowdown, especially in Chrono Trigger. Couldn't even bring myself to play that one because of the delay in entering the menu.

Gary King

Second Unit
You were both wrong - although it could have been a typo on both of your parts.

Chrono Cross is the Playstation sequel to the SNES' Chrono Trigger.

Final Fantasy Chronicles has Final Fantasy 4 HardType and Chrono Trigger. FF4 is the best SNES->PSX port that Square made, due to its lack of load times... Chrono Trigger fared much worse.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They also retranslated FF4 so that it would fit with the original Japanese version more. So its the ultimate port of the game.

If I had to choose between:

FF4/CT

FF5/6

FF7

FF8

FF9

I would personally choose 9 because its not that difficult, but has challenges for people interested in accepting them. Also, its fun, epic, has what I consider to be the best character development, and the game has a lot of the classic fantasy style of the FF series.

Though pretty much all of them are good.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Here's how I'd rate the one's I've played from bottom to top:

5. Final Fantasy VIII

4. Final Fantasy IX

3. Final Fantasy Tactics

2. Chrono Cross

1. Final Fantasy VII

Pieter

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I'll probably get shot for saying this :D , but IMO Final Fantasy VII is easily the best of the series(I have yet to play FFX though, as it's wrapped up and sitting under the Christmas tree waiting for me to open it on the 25th).
If you're dead set on getting a Final Fantasy game on the PSX I would go for FFVII. (You could try out some old school FF games by picking up Chronicles and Anthology which you would get Chrono Trigger as well. While Chrono and FFVI are both totally amazing games, it's too hard for me to play them with all the slowdown that happens, when I'm used to the no slowdown from the SNES originals.) I would also suggest Chrono Cross as a Final Fantasy alternative.
If you want to play the best two RPG's ever though, pick up Lunar 1 and 2! :)

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
If you were to only play one I'd go with IX. It's a pretty good recap of the entire series, pre-PS2. It was in fact intended to do just that. But I'd reccoment playing them all. Either in order of how cheaply you can find them or starting from the beginning and doin it in order just to see how the series evolved.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If I had to reccommend one to a newbie to the series, it would not be 7, simply because it represents a big turning point, not a good starting point. If anything, IX combines the best of both worlds (old-school and new) and is relatively easy. FFIX has a lot of secrets and offers a lot of things (in terms of gameplay), but FFVII and FFVIII offer way more in terms of difficulty and complexity. FFIX's story is pretty straightforward and is well done (and cleverly written to relate to all of the characters directly with its themes).

It's also my favorite...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks