What's new

where to get HDTV wire? (1 Viewer)

Ken

Auditioning
I need about 30 ft of the triple video wire that runs from the HD cable box to the TV. Where can I get this?

thanks,
ken

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
You can get custom lengths from a lot of online sources. In the stores I think 25feet is the biggest they carry. Its just regular coax cable.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm assuming you are referring to component cabling.

Regardless, any 75-ohm coax should do just fine. It needn't be labeled expressly as "component" but it DOES need to be labeled 75ohm, or ba a video cable of some sort (as video cables will be 75ohm).

You can get three regular video cables separately that long, and be just fine. You can even get a big spool and terminate them yourself.

If you want uber-cheap, get long runs of the TV-cable type coax, and get some F to RCA adapter things, and you're good to go.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This link to the What Cables should I buy thread might help.

Ken, you need a set of Component video cables. These are 3 RCA cables in a bundle.

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the "..any 75 ohm coax cable" will work. Coax is like asphalt on a road - they are all covered with the same stuff, but the road is designed for different speeds.

With that in mind, here are some numbers:

Component Video: 4 Mhz max
Progressive Video: 13 Mhz max
720/1080 HD Video: 35 Mhz max

So if you buy "...any 75 ohm coax" or even a Component Cable set, you are buying something designed for no-more-than 4 Mhz frequency.

(This was state-of-the-art in 1940's and has not increased until about 1999).

But with a HD cable box, you may be pushing 35 Mhz signals.

The proper cable for these signals starts about $50-$60. Not out of line at all. Use the link above to find various sites that sell the proper coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks