What's new

Need help with speaker set-up for Living Room and Bedroom (1 Viewer)

Hi, first post. We're moving into our 'retirement house' after years in Army housing (and not bothering to upgrade our AV stuff). We just got a Samsung 55" 3D smart TV last year and that moved our 36" Sony HDTV from a couple of years before that to our bedroom. Feel pretty good TV wise but have questions about speakers (here) and receivers (in that forum to come). Set aside $5k for this but could squeeze out a bit more if need be.
We have a guy hanging our TV's on the walls and he's run some of the wiring and conduit to get things where we want them. He's also run for speaker drops on out patio.
In the Living Room, we are going with in ceiling speakers as that seemed to fit the layout best. Never had those before. The brands he has are: Elan, James Loudspeaker, Niles, and Atlantic. I'm not even sure where to start to ask him questions to get the best result. What can you all guide me to ask?
In the bedroom he's recommending a sound bar. After reading a few random threads here (a bare few), I'm wondering if that's the best solution. We have a set of 5 Klipsch reference surround speakers that we got 5 years ago but only used in the first house before we moved for about a year. We also have a 10" Klipsch sub that we could use in either room. We hadn't wired the room for these but if they would yield better results in our master 'retreat' then we could. What say you to these scenarios?
TIA,
Tony

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I recommend against doing the front three in-ceiling.If you can hang a TV, You can put the speakers in the correct spot. Atlantic has speakers for this exact purpose...with the TV(FS 3200...4000 If you have to).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The bedroom can be whatever you want. I'll address that, specifically, in the other thread. May end up merging the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks