What's new

Where is the rest of the Original Avengers (Steed & Mrs. Peel)? (1 Viewer)

Who is your favorite partner?

• Tara King (Linda Thorson)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I've been watching The Avengers along with Danger Man aka (Secret Agent in the US) on the fairly new CHARGE network on the weekends and that got me wondering why hasn't the rest of this classic spy-fi series been released on Blu-ray?

By now this series should be available as a mostly complete series, seeing as all of season 1 is practically missing except for just a small number of complete episodes, but aside from that the rest of the series is completely in tact so they could be released as such and what remains of season 1 could be included among the vast selection of special features.

Last edited:

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I've been watching The Avengers along with Danger Man aka (Secret Agent in the US) on the fairly new CHARGE network on the weekends and that got me wondering why hasn't the rest of this classic spy-fi series hasn't been released on Blu-ray?

By now this series should be available as a mostly complete series, seeing as all of season 1 is practically missing except for just a small number of complete episodes, but aside from that the rest of the series is completely in tact so they could be released as such and what remains of season 1 could be included among the vast selection of special features.

They released one season in North America and that was it. The Cathy Gale ones I understand would take a lot of work to port to BluRay. At this point, I take just a basic DVD set of Cathy Gale instead of the expensive OOP DVDs. At this point I'll stick with the Emma Peel barebones set that I have

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The rest of the series is available in other countries on Blu, so why did Studio Canal and Lionsgate stop after it's lone release. Season 5 was the first to filmed in color so I can understand why it was chosen first, but season 4, the first season to shot on film and last to be in black and white would look great on Blu.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
The rest of the series is available in other countries on Blu, so why did Studio Canal and Lionsgate stop after it's lone release. Season 5 was the first to filmed in color so I can understand why it was chosen first, but season 4, the first season to shot on film and last to be in black and white would look great on Blu.

Lionsgate is plain un-interested in doing so and well only the most diehards know of Linda Thorson so I can highly doubt that would sell all that well.

I love to see them release that fancy The Avengers boxset the UK got in North America even if it is only DVD.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The whole series streams in HD on Tubi and they have even expanded the sound to 5.1 (fear not... it is done tastefully). You do have to sit through a few commercials, but the image and sound are truly astounding. I am mostly watching the episodes with Rigg, but I have been impressed by the production values. You may want to take a look.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
They released one season in North America and that was it. The Cathy Gale ones I understand would take a lot of work to port to BluRay. At this point, I take just a basic DVD set of Cathy Gale instead of the expensive OOP DVDs. At this point I'll stick with the Emma Peel barebones set that I have

The Cathy Gale episodes I've seen/ owned on DVD were from Kinescopes (video transferred to film) and - assuming the orig videotape versions have yet to be located - would require application of the Vidfire process/ similar process in order to bring them back to the original video look. Besides that, the videotape episodes, like most TV series episodes shot on videotape, cannot (no matter how well remastered) be presented in true HD as the necessary visual information simply isn't there and never was... Not that a given studio/label would, if they saw real profit in it, necessarily allow this fact to stop them from releasing it on Blu just the same.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Lionsgate is plain un-interested in doing so and well only the most diehards know of Linda Thorson so I can highly doubt that would sell all that well.

I love to see them release that fancy The Avengers boxset the UK got in North America even if it is only DVD.

John, I wholeheartedly agree! It would have been a godsend if Lionsgate released The Complete 50th Anniversary Collection box set (https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Ave...&keywords=the+avengers+complete+tv+series+dvd) or The Complete Collection box set (https://www.amazon.com/The-Avengers..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=AZW4J4GC265FNTHC13SA) in Region 1 but alas it was not to be...

mgdvd0

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
I've been watching The Avengers along with Danger Man aka (Secret Agent in the US) on the fairly new CHARGE network on the weekends and that got me wondering why hasn't the rest of this classic spy-fi series been released on Blu-ray?

The Complete Avengers can be purchased from the UK if you have a region free player https://www.zavvi.com/dvd/the-complete-avengers-50th-anniversary-edition/10285046.html

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The U.K. blu ray sets of the later seasons are fantastic.

I have the 50th anniversary dvd set as well.

All of the U.K. Sets ahave a ton of cool extras too.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Why isn't Dr. David Keel on the list?

Because he's the main character in the first season. Steed is the partner.

I only included the female partners of Steed on this poll, because when it comes to this series everyone knows Steed as the main character not Ian Hendry, who only did the first season which has basically been wiped from existence.

Last edited:

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I only included the female partners of Steed on this poll, because when it comes to this series everyone knows Steed as the main character not Ian Hendry, who only did the first season which has basically been wiped from existence.

Though speaking of Season 1, when I was looking around recently, I found that they recovered the lost Season 1 episode "Tunnel of Fear" and it got a UK release on DVD.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just ordered the new avengers dvd set from the UK. I have the US dvd releases as well.

Tunnel of fear is on my list to pick up as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks