What's new

Where is the rest of the Original Avengers (Steed & Mrs. Peel)? (1 Viewer)

Who is your favorite partner?

• Tara King (Linda Thorson)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Vudu is currently streaming several of the seasons free with ads. I haven't watched them yet, but I intend to get around to it soon.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Tubi has all the whole series, including the Emma Peel episodes, in nice HD looking versions.... some even have a stereo mix. I think they look pretty good. Yes...you do have to sit through a few commercials, but it is not a bad alternative.
It's the same way with Vudu and basic Hulu. I luck out, though, on Hulu. A friend of mine has a subscription that she never uses, or rarely uses, and she gifted me with being a user on her account.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

Attachments

• the-avengers-the-cybernauts-trilogy-blu-ray-.jpg
    the-avengers-the-cybernauts-trilogy-blu-ray-.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 120

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
New mastering on the previous 2 Cybernauts episodes? So new mastering from the previous Blu Ray release?
Obviously the new avengers episode has never been on Blu Ray.

I couldn't tell from the brief clip if the season 5 ep has been remastered from the old blu ray. I think it has been. I don't know how awful those season 5 masters really were, because there was so much compression on the Lionsgate release.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I couldn't tell from the brief clip if the season 5 ep has been remastered from the old blu ray. I think it has been. I don't know how awful those season 5 masters really were, because there was so much compression on the Lionsgate release.

Right. The text states new mastering for all of the episodes for this release.

Hmm

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Yes all the three episodes have been remastered.

Studio Canal HD masters go back to 2009 and were a botch job.

They scanned all the 35mm footage instead of zooming using SMPTE specs, offering edges of sets, microphones, cameras feets and other not to be seen items.

Then they zoomed those masters in 16/9 for widescreen TV. The footage works most of the time except in those many moments when they zoomed the image in due to negative damage, or other too blatants errors.

It's time someone who cares like Network offers both 4/3 and 16/9 versions tastefully done.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yes all the three episodes have been remastered.

Studio Canal HD masters go back to 2009 and were a botch job.

They scanned all the 35mm footage instead of zooming using SMPTE specs, offering edges of sets, microphones, cameras feets and other not to be seen items.

Then they zoomed those masters in 16/9 for widescreen TV. The footage works most of the time except in those many moments when they zoomed the image in due to negative damage, or other too blatants errors.

It's time someone who cares like Network offers both 4/3 and 16/9 versions tastefully done.

Got it. I’m tempted on this 3 episode set but would prefer to see the entire new avengers series on Blu Ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Cathy Gale episodes I've seen/ owned on DVD were from Kinescopes (video transferred to film) and - assuming the orig videotape versions have yet to be located - would require application of the Vidfire process/ similar process in order to bring them back to the original video look. Besides that, the videotape episodes, like most TV series episodes shot on videotape, cannot (no matter how well remastered) be presented in true HD as the necessary visual information simply isn't there and never was... Not that a given studio/label would, if they saw real profit in it, necessarily allow this fact to stop them from releasing it on Blu just the same.
Those tapes were wiped long ago and weren't full PAL resolution anyway in the first place (only 405 lines out of the 625 max).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I saw most of the Cathy Gale years when it aired on CHARGE and they looked okay, you could easily tell they weren't the best copies as a few episodes with Dr. Martin King, Venus Smith, and even Cathy herself were so dark to the point you had to rely on the audio to know what was going on.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I have the three known to survive first season episodes

season one IS important

the show title is because in the pilot episode 'Hot Snow' - of which only act one survives - Dr. David Keel (Ian Hendry) has his fiance gunned down - by mistake as he is the target of a drug gang hitman re a drug package he's unaware of at his office

when the Police are unable to track down the killer or show much inclination to follow things up Keel sets out to get the killer

A mysterious figure John Steed (Patrick Macnee) appears, he too is after the drug gang and so Steed and Keel team up to 'Avenge' the woman's death - hence 'The Avengers' !

After some success Steed again asks Keel's help in episode two 'Brought To Book' - written by future producer Brian Clemens - to get the drug gang's leader

after that Steed is the professional agent...with Keel his 'co-Avenger' helper on missions or just incidents they get involved in

one surviving episode 'Girl on The Trapeze' only features Keel....tho' teaming with his female secretary Carol Wilson (Ingrid Hafner) who joins in the fight scene with Keel at the conclusion of the story anticipating later eras of the show - the very first male/female Avengers episode duly pointing the way ahead....for Steed !

the show begins to evolve during season one - by mid season another surviving episode; 'The Frighteners' re protection rackets and mobsters....Steed begins donning bowler hat and carrying that umbrella

a more offbeat style appears over season one - as Ian Hendry would tear up scripts and re-write them more in character, with Patrick Macnee joining him over a bottle to hone their characters just right...

'Tunnel of Fear' is the third surviving episode and hints at later eras as a amusement park hides sinister secret planned activities

Steed sends Keel into some situations, while Keel also has a tendency to go in alone at times to get info Steed needs - this was retained later with the female co-Avengers

it starts as a very straight crime series, but the last first season episode 'Dragonsfield' is set in a nuclear power station as a sci fi background appears for the first time

in 'The Frighteners' Ian Hendry threatens some foes with a supposed syringe of acid - tho' it's water really - to get Steed the info he needs on the gang and the duo have a joint fight scene together against some foes - this would be a later feature in the show

scripts for season two were written for the popular all male original Avengers team - but season two was delayed by an Equity strike during which Ian Hendry quit the show to successfully do British films instead (he later in 1976 is guest star in 'To Catch A Rat' episode of 'The New Avengers' but not playing Dr. Keel)

- three season two scripts were specifically written for the 'co-Avenger' to be a Doctor, hence the character of Dr. Martin King (Jon Rollason) partners Steed for those three episodes only which were filmed first tho' shown over the season

Producer Leonard White had the idea of bringing in a female 'co-Avenger' - hence Catherine Gale (Honor Blackman) had to beat up men in fights as the part had at first been written for a male 'co-Avenger' - then scripts were tailored for her tougher female character accordingly

nightclub singer Venus Smith (Julie Stevens) was not a tough 'Avenger girl' more just a lady associate / friend of Steed

Cathy Gale and Venus Smith are semi regulars alternating episodes with Steed in season two, however Cathy Gale became the full time 'co-Avenger' from season three

Last edited:

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks