What's new

Where is CLOAK AND DAGGER? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just got done watching it, and it was heaps of fun. They might have fumbled a bit at the ending sequence, but I can live with it. For the majority of the picture, I was reminded of why I loved it so much as a kid.

I was completely shocked to see that the movie was based on a Cornell Woolrich story, but I had literally been thinking of Hitchcock earlier during the movie. I don't think I had seen any Hitchcock before seeing this film back in '84, but it's obvious the director had. I'll leave it to more capable film critics to decide how successful he was, but it seemed to be a rather tightly-constructed little film as far as I was concerned. In spite of some holes in logic early on:

Perhaps the body could have been removed from the stairwell in the few seconds Davey was in the lobby, but there would have been quite a bit of blood left from both the gunshot wounds and the impact of the fall. Also, it should have been easy for Davey to prove his story, since there would have been bullet holes in the walls of the stairwell from when they shot at him.

I admired how attention was paid to certain details:

Since Jack was imaginary, Davey was doing everything on his own. I don't think the filmmakers ever forgot that fact. For example, Davey didn't know how to drive, so neither did Jack. Also, it was logical for Kim's walkie-talkie to be used for the bomb, since Rice had picked up on it earlier in the film. I appreciate that detail, instead of just having the bomb turn up out of the blue.

Beyond that, I had forgotten the opening sequence. Fun. And, San Antonio looked as lovely as I remembered.

Overall, a great night at the DVD player!

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
The body being removed so quickly is something I never gave much thought to as a kid watching this. But, watching the movie with my wife who had never seen it, touches like that gave the film a layer of "is this really happening, or is Davey imagining it?" that a kid might not question but makes the movie a little more fun for adults.

I really enjoyed this movie after not having seen it in about 10 years or more. One thing I really liked is that the villains seemed real. Not bumbling or cartoony as I think they would appear in a modern movie. I could remember several scenes of suspense that were really frightening to me when I used to watch the movie, and are still very effective today.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Good points all around, Jacob. Bumbling Mouse Hunt villains do seem to be the norm in modern kids' movies, and it was refreshing to do without them here. "This could turn you into ground beef in three seconds, but I'm not going to do that!" :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"I'm going to shoot your kneecaps out. It won't kill you, but it will hurt like any dying you can imagine"

Definately a good one, you won't find many films nowadays that would threaten a child with that kind of violence. Not that I endorse violence against children, but it does make for a more effective film.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I found mine at Borders after striking out at Best Buy (the guy told me that it probably won't be carried instore chain-wide), and at Suncoast (the guy couldn't find it in the computer, and got mad when I told him he might want to try an alternate spelling of "Cloke").

I really enjoyed watching this again after so long. One other aspect that would be different in current films is that the dad would be just as much as incompetent boob as the villains. It was refreshing to see that present trend absent here.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Another great point. Along those lines, I enjoyed Dabney's speech about a real hero putting food on the table. I'm glad to see this movie held up for me and others in this thread.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The movie has definitely held up for me. I watched this alot as a kid. I'm goint to revisit it again this weekend. Borders was a hit for me. $7.99 is too good of a deal to pass up. Nobody else in town had it.

Aaron Gould

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Gould
Has anyone seen this in stores yet? I've had it ordered at Best Buy (Canada) for three weeks now, and it's still not available!

Amazon.ca and Chapters.ca appear to have it, but they're both $5 more than Best Buy.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I'm still patiently waiting for mine. $7.99 shipped from Futureshop.ca. It's been backordered since its release.

James L White

Supporting Actor
DeepDiscountDVD has it for $5.99. Although I don't know what they do for Canadian orders.
I'm having my doubts that they have it!!!! Usually they send an e-mail when an order is shipped but didn't this time, I had to go to their site and looked under my order status, which said it shipped Dec 3, still hasn't arrived. :frowning: :thumbsdown: :angry:

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the last 2 copies (1 for me & 1 for a friend) at my local Borders for $7.99. What was cool as well besides that price as I normally don't shop there because of the huge prices ala Suncoast is they gave me 2 coupons afterwards, one for 25% off any purchase including DVD's & the other one for 15% but is a phone survey which I participated in.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Wow, I had no idea this was even out!! I'll definitely have to hunt it down. I vaguely remember it as a kid. I was 7 years old in '84. All I can really recollect from it was that it had something to do with a boy and a video game. lol. It's literally been 20 years since I last saw it, but I genuinely remember how much I loved it as a kid. I'm looking forward to taking another trip down memory lane.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

If this means anything to you, I placed my order on November 24, 2004 and I was sent a confirmation of my order stating that the item was "in stock". I then received an email on November 30, 2004 stating that it was shipped on that day. I didn't receive it in the mail until December 14, 2004. They must have used a mule to carry the DVD from Illinois to Pennsylvania.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks