What's new

Where are the Fraggle Rock dvd's? (1 Viewer)

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
Rodney, you're kidding me right? Maybe I'm just taking the bait here, but on the other hand, how often do I get to discuss Fraggles...

I love this show first and foremost for its music. Secondly, it's Muppets! Thirdly, as if I need a third, I haven't seen (or at least, can't remember) every episode, I'm mostly familiar with the first 2 seasons or so, so Season Sets would be an excellent buy, as I'd get episodes (and songs) I've never even seen!

Fourthly, ever heard of nostalgia? That's the great feeling you have when you enjoy reliving your past by experiencing something you grew up with and have positive memories of. Muppets, Star Wars, Goonies, C64, etc...

So, anyways, that's why I'm interested in Fraggle Rock on DVD. For my money, it far far far far surpasses any children's TV available today (Wiggles, Barney, Teletubbies, etc), so should I have kids, I'd definitely show it to them.

If HIT manages to get this show on DVD properly (& in Canada), I'll pony up no problem.

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
What RossH said. :)

You never grow out of the best "children's" TV shows/movies. Because the best ones aren't just for kids. Adults can enjoy them too. I feel sorry for kids today, 'cause I don't think the stuff they're watching has that classic-for-all-ages appeal.

I dont have any kids, or plan to... but if I did I'd want to show them my childhood favorites on DVD, not the charmless children's shows that are currently on TV.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I aggree with that, kid's TV has gone downhill and they would be better of replaying great old shows like fraggle rock than turning out the same new trash. I may have liked the show at one point, but i'm never gonna rebuy this on DVD, just for nostalgia purposes.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Rodney,

How old were you the last time you saw Fraggle Rock? I might be a little ahead of most of the crowd on this thread...I was in highschool and college when Fraggle Rock was airing on HBO and became one of my favorite shows. My parents, younger siblings, and me, would all watch it together in the evenings and just *roll* with laughter at the "adult" humor woven into the script...stuff that kids would be clueless about.

There's no leap at all from having found the show so entertaining (and meaningful...something very few shows are today) in my late teens and early 20's to today (early 30's)...

-dave :)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to bring this back to the top of the page but I'd like to once again ask Gord and Dave why no mention of the Special Edition disc/pre-order has been posted to the site? I'd like as many people to know about this release as possible, especially since this time around it's recieveing better distribution through a major e-tailer like Amazon and the more people that support this, the better our chances are of getting season box sets with even more great features! Plus where else can you find episodes from the long forgotten animated series on DVD?!

Arnold Y

Grip
Well, it's odd that they (Amazon) pegged the release date for the Special Edition at October 19 when we've been hearing December 21 from other sources...

Chris Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I'm suprised no one has picked up on this yet,

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

By the way... a quick follow-up on that Fraggle Rock story we posted on Monday. We've been informed that HIT Entertainment is now officially planning on releasing the series in full-season sets Fall 2005. Thanks to Bits reader Kevin A. for the scoop!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Woohoo!!!!!!!!

the woman on the phone confirmed that Season 1 will be out next fall.

Can it really be? After all this time?

At a time like this I can dance my cares away...worries for another day...let the music play...down in fraggle rock...

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Josh_HI

Second Unit
YAY! This is great news!:emoji_thumbsup: I am fine with it coming out next fall. I am so busy trying to keep up and buy sets like Alias, Survivor, and Felicity coming out week after week that I am pretty full.But by that time money will be back in my pocket!So excited!:emoji_thumbsup: :b ;) :star:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
OKAY WAIT... NOTHING IS CONFIRMED AS OF YET!

I just called the telephone number posted above and spoke with a really nice and enthusiastic woman who addressed herself as "Fraggle Rock Customer Service" upon answering the line, and told her that I just learned that Hit! Entertainment had recently aquired licensing and distribution rights to the Fraggle Rock series and asked her if she knew of any plans to release full season box sets for the show in the near future..

She first responded by informing me that the current release format was to issue single disc DVD's comprised of 3 episodes which would come out every few months with some supplemental features.

She than told me that they have recently had such an influx of telephone calls, letters and emails that the company is now "DISCUSSING" the "POSSIBILITY" of releasing episodes in context of season boxed sets as that seems to be what the fans and public are asking for.

She told me that they were basically on "Stage 2" of discussions which I'm told means that it's currently on the table and everyone is now going over the numbers and whatnot to figure out whether such a venture would be viable and how to make it possible, etc.

She said that we should have a definitive answer by spring or early summer, which I personally suspect means that while Hit! is basically trying to determine how to go about such a production, perhaps they are not allowing anyone to speak publically or issue any press statements on anything as of yet because they have not yet finnished with the planning let alone development stages.

It's quite possible that previous callers had been told a release would be coming by next fall, but maybe they are now deciding that it would be better not to make any formal announcements until the spring so that they can than say "Season One in 2 months!" or something to that effect.

Otherwise it's also possible that people just chose to hear what they wanted and took the possibilities and discussions to mean, coming in late 2005 as opposed to, we'll get an official statement in late 2005. Anyways, it did seem promising and the lady followed up our short conversation with a really enthusiastic, "Isn't that great?!" :)

ANYWAYS, I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOU TO PUT PHONE CALLS IN!!!

It literally only takes a minute or less and apparently makes all the difference as the only reason they are in their "second stage" of discussions concerning season sets at all, is because of the fans that took the time to make their voiced be heard!

Don't be shy or hesitant, the secretary is a really friendly and sweet lady and very easy to talk to and all you basically have to say is; "Hi, I'm just calling to know if Hit has any plans in the near future to release box set collections of the Fraggle Rock series?" and you've done your part in adding to the public demand and influencing the vote!

Please take the 30-40 seconds to call as it obviously really does help and this is still very promising news!!!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Again, their telephone number is 1-877-259-7425 and is TOLL-FREE!!!

It only takes a quick minute and if you get a recorded message indicating that all customer service reps are currently busy and to please call back, wait 4-5 minutes and try again!

If anyone choses to delve further into the discussion of possible box-set or season set releases, please ask about transfering current extras from the 3-episode discs such as the behind the music documentary and animated episodes to the possible box release also because that's something I totally forgot to get into!

Make the phone call!!!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Something else nice to add is the notion of including some of the features songs from the eipsodes in "stereo" form on the DVD using linear PCM encoding. That way we could get our Fraggle episodes *and* our fraggle music!!!

-dave :D

RossH

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ross Hudgins
More info on TVShowsOnDVD.com today...official HIT confirmation of Season Sets!

No release date, nor features, but at least it's coming!

Just give me every episode, unedited, stereo sound (I've only every seen it in mono on the good ol' CBC), and I'm there! Of course, any bonus features are welcome.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I sat down with one of the VPs of HIT! at VSDA held in Las Vegas this past July and explained to her that fans wanted season sets. We talked for a good 15-20 mins about how they should do them, and I recommended a dual release strategy like Paramount/Nick does with SpongeBob; single discs aimed at kids and their parents, and season sets for older fans and collectors. Since them I've been in contact with them a few times.

I think the customer service people jumped the gun when they started telling people that seasons sets were coming because the higher-ups hadn't decided what to do yet.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks