What's new

When or will Pink Floyd Delicate Sound of Thunder become a DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
Pink Floyd fan here for many many years, I would like your opinion of will the above and/or Roger Waters "The Wall in Berlin 1990" come to DVD, if not would you consider buying a new or newish Vhs pre-record tape should DVD not make it?

IMHO The Concert experience is the best, Ladies and Gentlemen, we are interested in viewing and renewing 'memories' of this great group, at home in our Home Theater on DVD if possible as our first choice. Both of the above I/We seen much younger and best vocal audio of this group.

As age comes so fades a singers vocal chords. I would like the original younger David Gilmour and Roger Waters in their prime in the Digitally Remastered OAR Anamorphic and Digital Surround Sound if possible.

OTOH with my 1.8 year old HDTV I have mastered my getting the best possible view, of the now *line* doubled 480i from SP of 240 lines VHS tapes. Thank you for your interest. TIA :)

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I'll pass on this one either way. dont get me wrong...I'm a Floyd Freak since 1972 and I've seen around 5 dozen shows over the years....but I never cared for this tour all that much, although some decent toones came off that LP...oops..cd. what I'd like to see is something from the "Animals" tour.

Rejoice....Live At Pompei is hitting a collection near you later this year.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I'm personally waiting on Pulse to come out on DVD so that I can retire my laserdisc.

I read a rumor a while back about it being worked on, but haven't heard/read anything since.

Joel

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
Joel does "Pulse" have many of the songs that Delicate had like dogs of war, money, comfortably numb. I have used every thing to search out news before I put this post on. I found nothing but Pulse, I have the Roger Waters DVD, but it not what he used to sound like. I'll wait for a few more posts before searching for Vhs pre-records
a line doubled 480 is better than a well worn 240 which is what I have. :) TIA

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Mike,

Here is the listing of songs from Pulse (includes Dark Side of the Moon performed in its entirity).

1. Shine on you crazy diamond
2. Learning to fly
3. High hopes
4. Take it back
5. Coming back to life
6. Sorrow
7. Keep talking
8. Another brick in the wall
9. One of these days
10. Speak to me
11. Breathe
12. On the run
13. Time
14. The great gig in the sky
15. Money
16. Us and them
17. Any colour you like
18. Brain damage
19. Eclipse
20. Wish you were here
21. Comfortably numb
22. Run like hell

The listing of songs for Delicate Sound of Thunder are as follows.

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Intro)
2. Signs Of Life
3. Learning To Fly
4. Sorrow
5. The Dogs Of War
6. On The Turning Away
7. One Of These Days
8. Time
9. On The Run
10. The Great Gig In The Sky
11. Wish You Were Here
12. Us And Them
13. Comfortably Numb
14. One Slip
15. Run Like Hell
16. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (End credits)

IMO, Pulse is a better show.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I am a huge Floyd fan but I thought DSOT was much better than pulse for the simple fact it didn't have the producer doing all the annoying camera tricks and super imposing and stuff it got so annoying I never wanted to watch it again.

ChrisV

Second Unit
Delicate Sound of Thunder is one of my favorite CDs so I would definitely welcome a DVD of the show.

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
Brett thanks for the song list, it looks like Dogs of War just didn't make Pink Floyd happy enough to include it. The only thing I didn't like on Delicate was that guy rowing that stupid boat, IMO it didn't belong to a concert tape.

Off/Topic I just added the Delicate Sound of Thunder Vhs cover art box to my homepage under my signature. The Bee Gees: One Night Only having those shots of Grease and Saturday Night Fever on the big screen in 1997 while playing their tunes was great.

Jeramy thanks for your input also, Now Gentlemen what about "Live Roger Waters The Wall in Berlin 1990"? I got the two Vhs tapes from recording off of brand new rentals, back in the early 80's to low 90s. Not a nice thing to do today, but all my friends were into doing it also at that time with vcr as people still do. We like to watch almost high def as progressive scan DVD format.

Chris I do have Delicate (2 Disc) on CD 'plus' the 24K gold plated "The Wall" 2 CD set, with 'The Wall' black and white cover art case. Both bought for $6 each at a pawn shop around 1994 like new condition, in a Pioneer F-1007 CD 300 changer of which I have 2.

Off/Topic I have a huge collection of movie sound tracks totaling over 485 from 1933 to present. DVD IMO would be better to see David or Roger as I seen them 20 years or so ago, not like David and his now white instead of blonde hair. If you take a look at my 3rd page in my 'sig' homepage Jerry Lee Lewis still has his brown hair. :)

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
I have found the title and the price, which is really low for a new, not used
Vhs tape. The title is "Roger Waters Live from Berlin The Wall 1990" lowest price for a new tape $6. "Delicate Sound of Thunder" used $30.:)

Off/Topic I know this is not the home theater view that we want, but we have to face the idea that some movies will never be on DVD in our lifetime. In researching movies I have I am finding more OOP companies like Thorne-BMI that have been ot of business 15 years. "One Dark Night" was made from Thorne-BMI unless picked up (by?) to make cult favorites like "Goliath Awaits 200 Minutes" or "The Bermuda Depths". The selling price $1,000.00 for each *New* with *original* cover art box and pre-recorded tape! I put the dot and two 00 on to show you they was 'no' typo!

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
one thing to consider 2 is that all of these were released on Laser Disc so I'm sure you can find somewhere that still has these LD's available that way at least its better than VHS and wont wear out.

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
Jeramy thanks for telling me about the laser discs, I own 5 DVD players 3 of which are changers 200, 300+1, and a 300+1 Progressive Scan plus a Toshiba SD-4800, and a Region free JVC XVS500BK.

Frankly Jeramy to buy a now OOP Laser discs player for 2 Pink Floyd albums, wouldn't be in my best interest. HD-DVD will come along and I will have to buy at least one of them to start with. I just ordered a new JVC Hi-Fi VCR for $70 from www.jandr.com

Jeramy I have backup players should any my players go bad for DVD and VCR, my closet is full of empty boxes, I now keep for when HD-DVD is available in 2004 or 2005.
A used Vhs for Delicate is $30 and 'new' Roger Waters Live in Berlin is around $6.
In 1997 I decided DVD was the best way to go, and bought my first changer in 1999.

Off/Topic The John Wayne movie "The High and the Mighty was made in 1954 color, it never went to video cassette, and it still hasn't gone to DVD. The Wayne Estate has been bickering all this time. IMO by the time that above (He played Whistling Dan) movie is released most of John Waynes fans will be deceased, or at a nursing home where they wouldn't be allowed to buy the movie made 49 years ago at this time!

Lance

Auditioning
I have seen that PULSE and DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER are both being worked on for dvd. In a recent David Gilmour interview, it said he was finishing the audio re-mix for PULSE. The Directers cut of PINK FLOYD IN POMPEII will be out on dvd soon and I also read that it will include a studio run-through of DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.I dont know what exactly that meant, but it sounds interesting. For those interested, PULSE is available on vcd and the quality is pretty good(as good as vhs and wont wear out). I have the PULSE vcd, but will buy the dvd version when it comes out. I believe that I read all this info at BRAIN DAMAGE. I dont know the url off hand, but a simple search should locate it. This is a very good sight for current info.

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
Quote "I have seen that PULSE and DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER are both being worked on for dvd."

Fine what about Roger Waters Live Concert in Berlin 1990? Lance I have put a number of hours into researching the above including "Live" and have come up with nothing, could you put a source for all Pink Floyd fans to read, what you seen please. :)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Here is the link to the Brain Damage site that Lance referred to:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

Here is a little excerpt in regards to the re-mixing of 5.1 sound for the Pulse dvd (from an interview in the Classic Rock Magazine - Christmas 2002):

We're sitting in Gilmour's studio, upstairs in the barn overlooking his house, deep in the rockbroker belt that lies between London and the south coast. It's a sunny September afternoon and small children occasionally dash between the house and some tents on the back of the lawn. His wife Polly pushes a pram around the garden, lulling their week-old daughter to sleep. There's no sign of celebrity lifestyle to titillate the tabloids. Even the studio denotes 'musician at work' rather than 'rock star in residence'. At one end there's a mixing console with associated screens, computers and keyboards. Bits of masking tape mark out exactly where avid is supposed to sit while he's remixing Pink Floyd's PULSE live DVD for 5:1 surround sound.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
also read that it will include a studio run-through of DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.I dont know what exactly that meant, but it sounds interesting.
If this is what I think it is: it's on the extended edition of the VHS and VCD of Pompeii.

Essentially it is the band members playing bits and pieces of DSOTM. Roger doing synth stuff on "On the Run", Rick playing parts of "Us and Them" and Dave playing bits of "Brain Damage"

If it's more than this, then great but I think this is going to be a rehash of the earlier editions... But at least we'll have decent resolution and something that doesn't wear out...

By the way, has anyone seen this on pre-order?? I had a release date of March 4 (in time for my birthday!) but have not seen this anywhere.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Funny I should come across this thread. I was discussing DSoT with a buddy yesterday. I have it on LD and it is one of my favorite Concert Videos. It is very well shot and edited. I'd be all for getting it on DVD, so i don't end up resorting to transferring my LD to DVD.

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
John I have seen DSOT at least 150 times, I like it as much as I seen it the first time. My Vhs tape is wearing out as is the Roger Waters. "Live in Berlin 1990" it's started by the mayor blowing a whistle. The Live concert is fully based on the songs played in "The Wall", only they have other performers singing Pink Floyd songs like Cyndi Laupert. For all of us that like Pink Floyd DSOT I hope we can get a DVD. Thanks for responding John :)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
With regards to Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, and other artists of the 60's-70's, the video quality is generally inversely proporitional to the performance quality.

All that has been released to DVD for any of these artists are mediocre performances beautifully filmed in 6-channel sound (eg "The Dance").

If "Live In Pompeii" is released on DVD, it will be the only exception - probably because it is one of the only rock performances before ~1985 that was very carefully filmed.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have both of the post-Waters Pink Floyd live LaserDiscs. I just pulled them out and played some songs from them a couple nights ago. The LD of "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" is not the best video-wise, very noisy and fuzzy. Pulse is as near DVD quality as LD can get. The PCM stereo audio on both is top notch.

The performances on "Delicate Sound" are IMHO noticably better than those on "Pulse", particularly the songs "Money" and "The Great Gig In The Sky".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks