What's new

When Is It Big Enough? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I have a 4805 projector and I will be re-doing my HT. I know that the seating should be 1.5 - 2 times the width of the screen. Question is, When it is big enough? If I keep making the screen bigger then I will have to move the seats back. Is there a good point to stop? My seating will be only 4 seats wide with 2 rows. I am figuring that the size is in relation to the angle of the side seating. Any magical formula?
thanks,
Dave

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
That's a great site that Bob sent you. One thing about the 4805.......I would keep the image no bigger than bout 92" diagonal. It seems that after that point the projector has some trouble pumping out enough lumens to give a great overall image. Some people go bigger and like it but a small amount of PQ starts to diminish.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Bob, Thanks That is what I am looking for.
Evan, My old screen was 91" diagonal in a dark basement and the picture looked great. The 4805 recently took a shower when I had plumbing issues though. :angry: What projector would be a good step up for a bigger screen?
Dave

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Well you really have a lot of options. If you want to sit a little closer and not worry about the 2X rule than try a 720p LCD. Maybe the Panny ae700 or Sanyo Z3. You can sit 1.5X away and get a great image. I hear of people going up to around a 120" image with them too. They too will probably be best suited for under 100" but like the 4805 they will still look good over. That stinks about the 4805 though. Maybe give one another try and see if you like a bigger screen with it ....but because of the resolution you will be backed up quite a bit. You may have a 720p LCD in your future........

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I was thinking of the Infocus 5000, only because I liked the 4805. I will research the s you suggested. There isn't any place where I live to check them out in person. I do think that I will upgrade though.
Thanks.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I don't think it's ever big enough, honestly. Right now, I have a 16:9 screen of 127" and while that is "ok," I'm actually thinking of going bigger. MUCH bigger. Perhaps 200+ inches even.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
As I sat down at the Movies with my son the other day..."hey...how bout that screen in our HT room". For some reason, he rolled his eyes at me and laughed....smart kid for 9!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Dave, you answered your own question: when you have to move the seats back, then the screen is too big.

Everyone else: No one said you had to move the seats back, the proportions are subjective and published rules are just guidelines.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

It must be remembered that the reason movie screens were "big" in the first place was so that lots of people could see comfortably and the theater owner could collect a lot of money for each showing.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I have to disagree with Allan. While the general "rule" is that one should sit 1.5x the screen widths away, many people (including myself) are sitting much, much closer and it's still extremely comfortable and enjoyable to watch a movie.

I forgot who it was, but someone on here, was sitting 8 feet away from their 100" screen. In comparison, I used to sit 8 feet away from my 65" screen. Now that I have 127" screen, I sit 13 feet away and watching movies on that size and the distance, makes for a very pleasurable viewing experience.

What I'm trying to say is that Drobbins does not have to keep moving the seats back. He never once said that the screen is too big for his tastes. He simply felt he should stick to the rule of being a certain distance from the screen.

I would recommend making the screen as large as you like. You don't have to stick to the 1.5x rule, if you don't want to. Many people have had great success at sitting closer than they should.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Well the room has decided the screen size and seating. I have an air duct that I will mount the projector under. This duct is about 11" below the ceiling level and cuts across the room 1/2 way. The projector will be about 14.5' from the wall giving me a 110" diag. or 96" wide. I am placing the seating, so when reclined, the viewers head will also be under this duct or 155" from the screen. Now the 2nd row will be about 70" further back. I could not move the projector back anymore or I wold have to lower it so much that people wold bump their heads on it. So the room features has made the decision :)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
The first row of seats 13' away from the screen is just about perfect for a screen of that size. Why put the 2nd row of seats so far back though? 19' away from that screen will make it look very small. Nobody is going to want to sit in the back row, being that it's going to be way too far away from the screen.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If I did a compromise and moved both rows closer, the aisle way would be under this ductwork. With the 2nd row and aisle on a riser, someone over 6' tall would only have a few inches clearance for the ductwork and he would probably have to duck under the projector. The 13' distance for the front row puts the ductwork over the first row where people will be sitting, not standing.
We have recliners already for the front row and my wife wants to use the same for the back row also with both sets reclined, they need to be about 60" apart so they do not hit each other. If someone in the 1st row would turn around, he is looking right at the bottom of the persons feet in the 2nd row. (I know the best way to solve this is not to turn around, just watch the screen :D ) The extra 10" is just to add a little comfort zone. Once I get to that point of setup, it might change. But for now thats what it looks like on paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks