What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (2 Viewers)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Oh my yes The Lost World ended up practically being remade in the first season as Turn Back the Clock. Then the footage was heavily reused in Terror on Dinosaur Island. After that, it got cracked out on every one of Irwin's 60's shows (including additional episodes of Voyage).

What was so interesting about Turn Back the Clock was that it was the only time Hedison's scenes were used and they made him wear the same outfit to match the footage, right down to the cute little scarf and pocket notebook. The audience cried "ripoff" but I really enjoyed the episode more than the movie it pilfered.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Yep.

Here's a widescreen image of David Hedison and Jill St. John watching the dinosaur fight in THE LOST WORLD:
Hedison-Creatures.jpg

Now, here's an image from a THE TIME TUNNEL episode where on the DVD, we can now see David Hedison on the far left in a cropped version of the same footage:
MAY-David-Hedison-TT.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
R.I.P. Mr. Hedison and thanks for the many years of entertainment that you've provided.

Something I've recently learned that I never knew was that on the very evening that VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA premiered on ABC, it appears that NBC was airing the movie THE LOST WORLD, with David Hedison in that cast as well. In fact, a good deal of footage from THE LOST WORLD later appeared as whole segments on VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and other Irwin Allen properties. Here's a TV Guide listing of that evening:

TVGuide-Premiere-BWMarked.jpg
What memories that TV Guide listing brings back: all your area's channels and what they were showing throughout the morning, afternoon, and evening hours! I would get a copy each week and devour it for hours as a kid.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I don't know if there were ever a more haunting and disturbing scene in any film than Hedison as the tiny "fly man" caught in the spider web at the end of The Fly. He also gives a good performance as the title character during the film despite the makeup.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
If any of you believe a push should be made for Voyage in 4K that might be a better pursuit.

About a week ago I was in Walmart to purchase some slacks. After that I took a moment to look at the available DVDs they have for sale. I was surprised to notice by accident, the number of videos that seem to be cropping up that are in 4K. I was not aware that there were any.

While my earlier post suggested a probable phase out of Blu-Ray it seems to appear that DVDs in 4K might be not only taking their place but is a better deal anyway.

Here is one advertised example:

4K Ultra HD Reviews: 'Rambo' And 'Lock Up'

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/5/4k-ultra-hd-reviews-rambo-and-lock/

A few years ago I asked here in this forum if any of you felt that there was enough people out there that were still interested in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea after all these years. I think the question needs to be asked again so I am.

If the support is there I think our members need to further discuss this here on our forum. This might even mean another title change for this thread from Blu-Ray to 4K. Hey that even has a ring to it.

Sometimes when a cast member passes away people strive to acquire some of their work as a meaningful token of that memory. That might draw some additional sales in this case or it might not.

We should discuss here the estimated support and how we might implement a push to achieve a 4K release of Voyage before our current disks wear out.

Karl

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Karl:

4k/UHD disc releases (and the necessary hardware to take advantage of them) has been a topic on this forum for the past several years.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. But in many other threads.

You made it sound in your opening paragraphs as if this was a new development in the hobby. And posted a link to a 4k review when this forum has been posting reviews of 4k discs for years.

I would caution against a campaign for a 4k release of VttBotS as the 4k medium is currently being used mostly for new feature films and a small selection of classic motion pictures. I'm not sure I can even name a single TV-related release on 4k/UHD.

As most studios have been pulling back even contemporary TV releases on Blu-ray medium, I would think that HD Blu-ray might be the best you could hope for with this series.

Or, an HD streaming release of some sort.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
I would caution against a campaign for a 4k release of VttBotS as the 4k medium is currently being used mostly for new feature films and a small selection of classic motion pictures. I'm not sure I can even name a single TV-related release on 4k/UHD.

As most studios have been pulling back even contemporary TV releases on Blu-ray medium, I would think that HD Blu-ray might be the best you could hope for with this series.

First, I appreciate your input here on the subject and I mean that.

I think for the reasons you mentioned above I suggested a discussion first coupled with some idea of how much support there is at this time. If the flow of the discussion were to remain more towards Blu-Ray then of course that's where we would lean.

Again, thanks for your ideas and valid concerns and we will certainly include them in the mix.

Karl

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
No. But in many other threads.

You made it sound in your opening paragraphs as if this was a new development in the hobby. And posted a link to a 4k review when this forum has been posting reviews of 4k discs for years.

Or, an HD streaming release of some sort.

This is absolutely correct. Even without any insider information at all, but just speaking as a learned consumer, there is no way this series will EVER be released on 4K. 4K remains a niche format and it’s unlikely to ever progress past that, especially with physical media on the wane. I can’t envision any studio or distributor going to the vast expense or, quite frankly, making any effort at all to put out a 4K release of a 50+ year old TV series that ran for four long seasons. I even have my doubts about the show coming out on Blu unless it happens overseas somewhere as THE TIME TUNNEL did. Now with Fox being owned by Disney, it’s likely vintage Fox TV series will be offered strictly for streaming or nostalgia programming TV stations, if even that. On top of all this, try to remember that Fox struggled mightily for years just to finish releasing the separate volumes for the VOYAGE series on STANDARD DVD. And all indications were that it was not a financially successful release.

I’m sorry to be so negative. We all have our favorite series and I don’t mean to discourage discussion, but this is the reality of the situation.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
About a week ago I was in Walmart to purchase some slacks. After that I took a moment to look at the available DVDs they have for sale. I was surprised to notice by accident, the number of videos that seem to be cropping up that are in 4K. I was not aware that there were any.

While my earlier post suggested a probable phase out of Blu-Ray it seems to appear that DVDs in 4K might be not only taking their place but is a better deal anyway.

Here is one advertised example:

4K Ultra HD Reviews: 'Rambo' And 'Lock Up'

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/5/4k-ultra-hd-reviews-rambo-and-lock/

A few years ago I asked here in this forum if any of you felt that there was enough people out there that were still interested in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea after all these years. I think the question needs to be asked again so I am.

If the support is there I think our members need to further discuss this here on our forum. This might even mean another title change for this thread from Blu-Ray to 4K. Hey that even has a ring to it.

Sometimes when a cast member passes away people strive to acquire some of their work as a meaningful token of that memory. That might draw some additional sales in this case or it might not.

We should discuss here the estimated support and how we might implement a push to achieve a 4K release of Voyage before our current disks wear out.

Karl
I'm sorry, but that will never happen.
Game of Thrones 4K BD sure, but not classic TV. It is a miracle we get just a handful of classic shows on Blu-Ray as it is.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
To be honest, I think we’re lucky the show came out at all. It’s complete, it’s restored to beautiful quality, the only real downside is that it’s on flipper discs. While a blu ray release would look insane with these prints (just look at how great Time Tunnel is), what we have is pretty damned good.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's those flippers that kill me... It took several exchanges on a couple of those sets before I got playable copies. The last time I watched the series a couple of episodes wouldn't play. While I have a new, better, player now than the last time I watched I've not tried them again. I'm seriously considering picking up the R2 UK release as it's at least on SS discs.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have the UK set. I love having them on single sided DVDs. Obviously there's the pitch shift to deal with but it's actually noticeable in the first season more than the color years. I heard from someone (I don't remember who so take it lightly) that they were pitch corrected. They still run 48-49 minutes per episode though, as opposed to 50-51.

I also saved my NTSC versions on DVD-R and digital files, so I can always go to them in a pinch.

Yeah, I have Voyage spread out all over the place.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Yep, that’s exactly it. I got it from Amazon UK, so I spent significantly less than the person selling it domestically. Also, I want to note that while the contents of the set are identical to what we have in the US, the episodes are presented in production order rather than air date order. It doesn’t really make much difference in terms of storytelling, but for purists out there who like to have the episodes in the order in which they were broadcast, this might be an issue.

What I find interesting is that the first season, first half of the second season, and the fourth season were jumbled the most. The third season was left primarily in production order, with only a few exceptions. It’s as if the network realized by that point it didn’t make any bit of difference. The third season didn’t necessarily have strong episodes that would win the battle during the sweeps periods.

Last edited:

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Yep, that’s exactly it. I got it from Amazon UK, so I spent significantly less than the person selling it domestically. Also, I want to note that while the contents of the set are identical to what we have in the US, the episodes are presented in production order rather than air date order. It doesn’t really make much difference in terms of storytelling, but for purists out there who like to have the episodes in the order in which they were broadcast, this might be an issue.

What I find interesting is that the first season, first half of the second season, and the fourth season were jumbled the most. The third season was left primarily in production order, with only a few exceptions. It’s as if the network realized by that point it didn’t make any bit of difference. The third season didn’t necessarily have strong episodes that would win the battle during the sweeps periods.

Excellent info, thanks!

I haven't watched my dual sided discs in probably 6 or 7 years, I have no idea if all still play. I will pick up this set for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks