1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JeffT., Jul 20, 2004.

1. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Im all for sending a letter or email, but your phone calls kinda raised an alarm for me. Leave it at the letter would be my advice.

Sorry if I sounded contradictory

2. KarlB737

KarlB737 Stunt Coordinator

Karl
    The first call was sparked because I received no reply to the web site "Contact" message which I sent. The second call I wasn't successful at reaching anyone, and at that point I decided that I wouldn't make any more calls. Any additional calls I felt would have been excessive.

In summary, I talked to one individual on the phone, and sent one EMail and sent one letter Fedex. I still think the letter may have been the best idea. Time will certainly tell. I won't be communicating with Prometheus again in any fashion unless I hear from them.

3. KarlB737

Karl
    Mike, I appreciate your question and it deserves an answer. I was 16 when Voyage hit the air in 1964. I'm 69 now and communicate daily with individuals that through no fault of their own are not familiar with some things 30, 40 or 50 years ago. This is not a slam on them at all. I had a pleasant conversation with the individual at Fox Home Video that day but it was clear this person couldn't be expected to know about a program from 50 years ago. For that reason I pursued the direction suggested to me by a poster on this forum which was to try and contact Kevin Burns.

The reason I included the text you referenced in my letter was I was afraid that if I got a reply someone might suggest why I didn't contact Fox Home Video first. I wanted Prometheus to know that I had already pursued that option and that it didn't pan out as I had hoped.

Flashgear and Tony Bensley like this.
  4. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Thanks for doing all that legwork and reaching out. Hopefully you’ll get a response. I don’t know if the LIS Blu rays sold as well as they expected or not, but it’s not necessarily the same audience anyway.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Message #2105 of 2126 Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Has anyone gotten Marc Cushman's latest behind the scenes tome?

http://www.jacobsbrownmediagroup.com/voyage-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea.html

Voyage season one was covered. I'm not really a fan of his work, he presents supposition for facts and gets a lot of things wrong, stuff that can be easily checked. His research is generally lazy and this one is his most padded book yet. The print is huge compared to the Star Trek books and he leans on reviews by the late Mark Bailey from his "Mike's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Zone" website. At the same time, it's all we've got detailing even the slightest true behind the scenes stuff, rather than fan produced books. But man, for $30-40 there should be more to it than guesswork, large print and other people's opinions. It also didn't need to be more than one volume. He obviously had little to work with since Irwin didn't live in memos like Roddenberry. And the "daily production diary" portion is pretty dull since he doesn't show anything that warrants it.

I'm sure in Volume 2 he's claim that "Jonah and the Whale" reused Fantastic Voyage sets (it really didn't). Such a shame, there is a great book to be written about Voyage, They just need someone good to do it.

Eh, a lot of people like his books, but I'm disappointed.

6. Message #2106 of 2126 Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Mark Tay

Mark Tay Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I completely agree with everything you said. Cushman put together a good 1st draft, but it needed to be proof-read by a few hardcore fans before ever seeing print. How hard is that in the age of the internet?

I knew it would not be the definitive book as soon as I saw the cover. Why in the world would a book covering season one use the same image as the cover to volume one of the DVD release (featuring the Seaview design NOT from season one)?

ScottRE likes this.
  7. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I just received the Voyage book along with volume one of Lost In Space as a gift this week. Haven't had time to read either yet. I thought the Star Trek volumes were pretty interesting. It did become a little tiresome with his agenda of trying to prove that Trek was a ratings success. I still don't believe it was.

As to the re-use of the Fantastic Voyage set, I recall seeing an interview with David Hedison where he mentioned they did sneak on to that set. It was on one of the Voyage DVD sets or The Fantastic Worlds Of Irwin Allen special.

8. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    This blog is very interesting and informative and debunks a lot of BS

https://startrekfactcheck.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-truth-about-star-trek-and-ratings.html?m=1

As for the VF sets, I don’t remember Hedison mentioning them at all in the Fantasy Worlds interview, but I’ll check it. If they did, none of it was used in the finshed episode. There was a TV guide article that detailed the creation of the whale set and it was all made for the episode. There was no mention of the movie at all.

LIS used it, Voyage ... unless someone comes up with definitive proof, I’m gonna stick with my “nope.”

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  9. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I looked at my copy of The Fantasy Worlds Of Irwin Allen again. Writer Shimon Wincelberg is the one who says the Fantastic Voyage set was used for the interior of the whale. He says they found the set and "it cost next to nothing".

10. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Awesome thanks for checking. I’m fairly convinced that there’s confusion between its use on Lost in Space in the similarities between the two sets. The only reason I am so adamant about this is because I scoured the movie for any use of the interior whale set. I found nothing. In fact, the whale set doesn’t look nearly as good.

It’s in The Derelict on LIS and props were used in Space Destructors, but the TV Guide article and a comparison to the movie itself tells me Voyage didn’t use them.

It’ll either be unresolved or I’ll be proven wrong. Which I’m totally fine with, but it’s gotta be more than memories from a writer decades after the fact.

Flashgear, rjd0309 and Blimpoy06 like this.
  11. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    My wild guess is that "it cost next to nothing" may imply that the set was modified for Voyage and may not be as recognizable from the original intent on FV. It might be that the TV Guide article was unaware that the set was a re-dress of an existing one. Could be a mystery lost to time.:unsure:

Flashgear likes this.
  12. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    My guess is that, at most, some of the stuff used to fill out the whale's innards were borrowed from the film. The set itself, though, was constructed for the episode. I am trying to find the article, but there were behind the scenes photos of it being built specifically for it.

Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  13. Message #2113 of 2126 Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Jack P

Jack P Producer

I'd note that FV wasn't released yet when the Voyage episode was aired so it would have been all too easy for the studio PR to sell the idea they'd spent a ton on a new set when they were making extra use of a set for a film that wouldn't be out for another 11 months.

Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  14. KarlB737

Karl
    I find it tragic that I never heard any type of reply from all 3 avenues I pursued after all this time.

I purchased it on sale in December. Considering how tough it would be to gather information on this show after 50 plus years I think it is reasonable. I like the part where he talks about the filming schedules and what scenes they would do on a given day. It is common sense to shoot all the scenes that will be in the missile room for example in one setting. He mentions what the actors were paid per episode which I found interesting. Most of us are familiar with much of this material but there is enough there to hold my interest.

As an aside which I noticed yesterday by accident is this news from a clip on YouTube which contains a balanced discussion that is worth watching and it's only 10 minutes.

Courtesy: YouTube

The End Of Blu-Ray Is Near - Samsung Will No Longer Make New Players

If any of you believe a push should be made for Voyage in 4K that might be a better pursuit.

Karl

15. KarlB737

Karl
    Gary OS, Blimpoy06 and atcolomb like this.
  16. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    David Hedison was my favorite character and actor on the series and did a great job too.

Gary OS likes this.
  17. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    He was an amazing guy. I met him a few times at cons and he was always sweet, funny and appreciative of his fans. When I met him, he just started doing conventions. He expected people to just ask him about The Fly and James Bond and was totally surprised at how many people were fans of Voyage.

He was the only regular to appear in every episode and it never seemed like he ever gave less than 110%.

Hell of a guy.

Jeff Flugel, Flashgear and Blimpoy06 like this.
  18. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I want to watch four episodes of Voyage that showcase David Hedison, one from each season. This is my first pass:

The Human Computer
    The Return of the Phantom
    (one of Hedison’s favorites)
    Day of Evil
    Man-Beast
    (another Hedison favorite)

I’m not rock solid about any of them except The Return of the Phantom and Man-Beast. I mean, The Human Computer is the first solo episode, but it’s a little on the dull side. Hedison gets to stretch a little in The Enemies, which is fabulous. So I might go with that. I also love to watch Basehart and Hedison interact. That’s much of the fun of the series.

Day of Evil has nice work as he battles the final throes of the radiation poisoning, but The Lost Bomb is a killer Crane/Kowalski adventure.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I saw the announcement of his death when I logged on this afternoon. A very sad passing. Always thought he was a much better actor than he was given credit for being, and I always enjoyed watching him on Voyage and in his guest star roles in the decades following. R.I.P.

Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  20. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    R.I.P. Mr. Hedison and thanks for the many years of entertainment that you've provided.

Something I've recently learned that I never knew was that on the very evening that VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA premiered on ABC, it appears that NBC was airing the movie THE LOST WORLD, with David Hedison in that cast as well. In fact, a good deal of footage from THE LOST WORLD later appeared as whole segments on VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and other Irwin Allen properties. Here's a TV Guide listing of that evening:

[​IMG]

ponset, Flashgear, Gary16 and 2 others like this.