What's new

When a single bad scene kills.... (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
a TV show or movie.

Have you ever liked an episode of a TV show or a particular movie only to have a single moment kill it for you?

For me a good movie example is in Star Trek V when they're sitting around a campfire and Kirk starts them singing row row your boat. I gagged and absolutely hate that movie for that one increadibly stupid moment.

A good TV show example is when an episode of Dallas (1978 shows) when Pam and Bobby are dancing in a disco and the music being played turns into a disco version of the Dallas theme song. What the hell was that about? I was going to keep that episode but that one scene made me want to throw up. Truly one of the most stupid moments I've ever seen in a TV show.

Fire away.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Kirk playing horsey with a midget actor in "Bread and Circuses" (and making whinnying noises) tests one's endurance of Star Trek.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
That part in The Birds, when Tippi goes into the attic, gets attacked by the birds, and nearly dies because the stupid broad forgets how to operate a !@#$ing doorknob that's right behind her. It's so ridiculous that for me it completely obliterates what is otherwise a reasonably solid Hitchcock movie.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Random hearts. I saw it on TV and despite abysmal reviews, I thougth it was pretty enjoyable, until that horrid "furious kissing" scene in the car. It came from nowhere because they did a terrible job in building any kind of sexual tension between these two dorks. It sunk what could have been a decent movie.

--
H

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Although Jurassic Park II wasn't anything like what it should have been I was ok with it right up unitl the young girl does her gymnastics routine on the raptors:angry:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, the birds kept flying into and pushing against the door, and that's why she couldn't open it. That combined with the birds attacking her is what kept her from being able to get out. I might remember wrong though.

Scott, are you sure about that "Dallas" episode? I'm following it on Soapnet right now, and I remember that scene, but not that the music turned into the theme from the show. The theme from the show has however been used elsewhere in the show; Miss Ellie has been playing it on the piano. :) So it's certainly possible that they used it in the disco too.

For me, I think the worst example is the bus jump scene in "Speed". Yes, the movie is not exactly a documentary the rest of the time, but at least they sort of stick to some sort of reality. When the bus all of a sudden jumped UP and away from the end of a bridge, that just ruined the movie for me.

/Mike

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Not so much a bad scene as a bad ending -- the ending of "Wisdom". :rolleyes:Not that it was a masterpiece until that point, but still!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Have to agree with Mr. Pratt about the little girl that single-handedly eliminate a pair of raptors that just got done killing a well-armed group of mercenaries.

And the Rollerball remake. The whole movie sucked, no doubt, but why did it go into nightvision green for a few minutes?

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
MickeS sez

If I see and hear that I'll gag again.

Make sure you check the ones running on Sat night. They even feature the original Southfork house that burned down and JR, Bobby and Gary live in smaller separate houses located next to the main house. It's also cool to see Jim Davis in such good form. He was one tough looking man. I bet he wouldn't hesitate to kick someones ass if they pissed him off.

I'm glad I ordered SoapNet for my wife. I normally detest soaps, but Dallas is an exception.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
In Saving Private Ryan when Hanks let the German go free, I was so irritated after that.

Biker Boyz - Now this is perhaps the stupidest movie I have ever seen but the Bridge scene when the Biker Boys cruise up late to race and two the the guys were ride Quads, FREAKING QUADS, in the middle of a major city on a major Bridge. That is perhaps the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

Or how about the girl knowing a Unix GUI so well in the first Jurrasic Park.

Also in Star Trek Insurrection's beginning when Picard is following Data and singing lines from an Opera or play to help him "snap out of it". That one moment killed the movie for me. Data singing at the beginning of Nemesis almost killed it for me too.

I understand the need to show familiar human society scenerios taking place in the future (no matter what we evolve into technologically some things will never change)but I'm sick of Star Trek pushing the hell out of it.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
That cartwheel person in The Firm. So out of place.

I swear before I even opened the thread, this was going to be one of my responses.

Basically any impromptu dance routine kills it for me,

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I think the "she will be happier with you ending" of Pirates of the Carribean pretty much ruined it for me

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the alternate ending on the Clerks DVD. WHen dante gets shot it changes the mood of the whole movie.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Scott, those episodes are the from the "Dallas" miniseries, the 5 episodes that were broadcast before the series was picked up by CBS for a full season. I saw them on SoapNet last year, when they started showing "Dallas" during the day (and evening). I agree that there's a different feel to these episodes, grittier and less soapy. Of course, the house is the most striking difference, since it's a different location.

They started from the beginning again on Saturdays two weks ago, so in a few weeks they'll be showing the regular series episodes. :) Since I'm following it every day, it'll be a few years before they'll catch up to where I am in the show now.

Yes, I'm a big "Dallas" geek. :b

Back to the regularly scheduled thread content. :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
They absolute WORST scene that killed a great movie for me was Frank Sinatra in Kings Go Forth (1958). The movie itself builds up really nice, seems like an instant classic.. then it happens.. You will not believe the "plot twist" this movie tries to take. Oh and it just gets worse from there, straight to the end! I still can't believe it...

It's been airing on TCM but if you'd like to cheat check out the first IMDB user comment here. But I'd really recommend you wait for it on TCM so you get the full "blown away" effect, if you're crazy like me it's worth it! ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Maybe not.

All of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen from beginning to end.

I also thought the ending to The Game was stupid. Totally ruined the movie. I couldn't believe the praise that film got.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

While the new southfork may look "prettier" I like the one in the miniseries better. Also the offices look different.

Something else I never understood. In the series was the Ewing building in downtown Dallas supposed to be owned by Ewing oil or was it simply leased office space?

Also how far is Southfork from town? I had the impression that it's probably about an hour's drive. My relatives that live in Rockwall, Tx also seem quite a long distance from Dallas and Garland.

Of course where I live it only takes (at 70 MPH) about 10-20 minutes to get to work from home and I live in the "country".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks