What's new

What's your pick of the best music dvd ? (1 Viewer)

GregGilchrist

Auditioning
What's your personal pick of the best MUSIC dvd currently available, that so far best showcases (visually, aurally and technically) what makes the dvd medium so great for this particular format, compared to all the numerous other music dvd's that are also out.

Please say why, rather than just naming a title.

If this has been eloquently and intelligently discussed here and / or on any other site/s, please give any links.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
This has been discussed, but I don't feel like searching for the link. :)
The best music DVD, IMHO, is Nine Inch Nails: All That Could of Been....(DTS)
The reason why is easy: This is the closest you can get to a live show without actually being there. I've seen them 5 times live, and I actually felt like I was in the audience. The way the show is shot and the DTS sound make this an incredible live experience on DVD.
-Dean-

Aurally speaking, I think "The Eagles: Hell Freezes Over" is pretty incredible. The best sounding DTS (music title) I've heard.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
the new queen dvd[greatest video hits vol 1]is pretty darn good too imho[try the DTS track]

Bruce Tokars

Auditioning
It's old but new to me. Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon concert. Great camera work, directing and editing and fantastic sound. Ranks up there with a few other wonders like Bruce in NYC and Diana Krall. Also great is Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
King Crimson - Deja VROOM

Music- Of course Crimson are Gods. This concert is of the 6 piece monster band from the mid-90s. A healthy mix of old and new material played masterfully.

Sound quality- Killer DD and DTS tracks. Excellent surround mix.

Video- Possibly he weakest link in terms of picture quality, but the edits and angles are fine.

Extra features- on the track VROOM VROOM, you can select which instrument you hear on the center channel by using the angle button, allowing you to isolate one musician over the rest.
There's a bunch of other stuff as well.

The menus are a bit annoying- that's the only thing I don't like about it. Other than that, it's still my favorite one.

NP: Miles Davis, Complete Live at Montreux, disc 3

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
There's "Diana Krall Live In Paris"..........

and then, there's everything else.

"DKLInP" comes closest to perfection in recreating a live concert on your home theater. Sound & PQ is second to none.

You may not like the material, but you can't "DIS" this disc!

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. Probably a reference DVD when in comes to concerts. Video and Audio recording is top-notch, and the music is just fantastic, whether you're watching in DTS, or Stereo. This concert alone has so much talent all over it. Of course there's Diana Krall, Paulinho deCosta, Anthony Wilson, Jeff Hamilton, John Clayton, and John Pisano. Aside from that there's Claus Ogermann and the London Symhpony Orchestra.

For an even bigger treat, listen to the rehearsals which offer a more natural, analogue souding, recording. Too bad there are only three songs featured in this section; the recording is just marvelous.

I love concert DVD's and have a large number for them, and none of them compare to this. Probably the closest would be Andrew Lloyd Webber's 25th anniversary celebration.

Lin Park

Second Unit
Check out Peter Frampton Live in Detroit - DTS and Widescreen anamorphic transfer is just stellar. If you like guitar playing this guy is one of the best. He sure looks different but sounds just the same.

Lin

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I really like Roy Orbison's Black and White Night. Needless to say, it's in black and white and shot in a really cool retro night club (in LA maybe?) which gives it a great atmosphere. There are a lot of great guest artists. Tom Waits, Bruce Springstein, Bonnie Raitt, Elvis Costello, J.D. Souther, Jackson Browne, and a few more. It is very cleanly recorded and has both DD and DTS audio to chose from.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Last Tuesday, Queen released a long-awaited video collection volume one and it is a two disc set with audio commentaries for all videos and it is mastered in DTS 24/96 and has a two channel LPCM track as well. The videos have been restored but vary in quality and the disc navigation is a little slow. Thus far, this is the BEST SOUNDING music dvd I've heard. The DTS 24/96 track is second to none on this one - I like this collection nearly as much as my Talking Heads Stop Making Sense disc.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have only a few music DVDs (DVD-Video discs), but I am very impressed with the video and audio quality of Peter Frampton Live in Detroit and James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater. The Taylor disc is especially impressive, seeing as the audio is just in Dolby Digital, not DTS. I don't have the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD, but I have the DTS CD, which sounds very good. I imagine the DVD is good too.

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a few music DVDs & though I agree that the Nine Inch Nails one is the probably the all round best one, I find myself putting Roger Waters: In The Flesh on the most. I love hearing Floyd stuff in surround(despite the fact the disc doesn't use the center speaker, grrrr...)& I like Roger's solo stuff alot. Dream Theater: Metropolis 2000 is also good except it's Dolby Prologic & not 5.1.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Eagles Hell Freezes Over for two back to back songs, "I Can't Tell You Why" and "New York Minute" plus it really sounds like you are there.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
in terms of pushing the dvd feature envelope
Criterion Collection's Beastie Boys Anthology
- two discs of videos in 5.1 (ground-shaking BASS!) or 2.0 with 100+ angles, remix, and band and director commentary tracks, classy menus.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I really like Eagles HFO, Diana Krall - Live in Paris, and some of the other titles mentioned above, if I had to pick just one concert DVD to keep in my collection, it would be Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Live From New York City. This two-disc set is from a 16x9 HD video source (the HBO HDTV concert), offers excellent DD5.1 audio, and shows Bruce and the band at their absolute best. The energy level of the performance is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks