What's new

What's Your Opinion On Bidets? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Ever since "that scene" in the film Crocodile Dundee Part II, I've kind of been fascinated by bidets. I recently watched a Youtube video that went into the reasons why the concept of the bidet never took off in the US (dumb reasons if you ask me) and it got me thinking - what do people here really think of these things. In Europe (Italy, specifically), bidets are actually mandated by law. I don't think they should be mandated but I do think places like public transportation hubs, airports and other public facilities should include them. Bidets should never replace toilet paper by any means, just serve as a compliment to improved personal hygiene. Thoughts?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, here's a perfect video for this unexpected topic, with Benny Safdie discussing toilets, which he says he is obsessed with.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
A Japanese "washlet" by Toto is standard all over Japan. They even have them in the restrooms on All Nippon Airways. You don't have to buy the entire fixture—they make a seat that can replace your current one. Attach a Y connector for the water and plug it in. You won't be sorry.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I guess I never understood or investigated how they work.
From what I’ve gathered they blast a stream of water onto your butt.
I don’t understand how that does anything but blast “stuff” all over the inside of the toilet bowl and your underside making another mess that needs to be cleaned up.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Its main use is for feminine hygiene. Pre- and post-coital. Keep those vaginas clean! That's why the puritanical USA looks down on bidets. It all boils down to that ugly word/act: sex.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Its main use is for feminine hygiene. Pre- and post-coital. Keep those vaginas clean! That's why the puritanical USA looks down on bidets. It all boils down to that ugly word/act: sex.

I don’t think that’s it at all.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, wow! What an interesting thread.

Bidet owner for the past 3 years. Best thing I ever bought for my butt!

Heated Seat and adjustable water pressure. Auto open and close when approaching/leaving

I'll post a video in a few to give you an idea...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll post a video in a few to give you an idea...

Parks And Recreation No GIF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

No, all good. It's clean. Wish I could show you the wand portion but I would have to be sitting on it and THAT you would not want to see..

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don’t understand how that does anything but blast “stuff” all over the inside of the toilet bowl and your underside making another mess that needs to be cleaned up.

I also don’t like a wet bottom.

I'm not really interested for these same reasons/concerns, and the pro-bidet faction never seems to address them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not really interested for these same reasons/concerns, and the pro-bidet faction never seems to address them.

So, let me give you my opinion on all of this.

The idea of a bidet concerned me in the same way that it does most people who have either never used one or tried it on a whim.

My brother runs an AirBB. He has an entire downstairs with guest rooms. He installed a simple bidet seat that probably costs, I'm guessing, $60. It's a simple replacement seat with a plug-in hose.

I tried it. The first use was a bit startling. You have a stream of water shooting up your butt. It takes a few tries to get used to it. However, it didn't take me long to realize that this was actually a much cleaner method than using toilet paper.

And, no, the bidet stream does not make a bigger mess. The stream is direct. Everything washes into the bowl. It's not like having massive diarrhea (to put it as eloquently as possible). I mean, I clean that bowl weekly and it's no dirtier than a normal toilet.

Now, my bidet was rather expensive. I got an entirely new toilet put in. Mine came with a heated seat and a dryer. That means after the stream wash, I continue sitting on the seat and get warm air (very much like a hair dryer on high) to dry my rear. So, I don't walk around with a wet butt.

Essentially, the advantage of a bidet is that it's a highly better hygienic experience than using toilet paper. Water gets to areas paper cannot. And, as someone who has dealt with health issues related to over-wiping with paper, it's so nice to get a "wash and dry," so to speak.

And, in the wintertime, there is nothing better than sitting on a heated toilet seat.

Hey, I understand the bad rap that bidets get. However, I think a lot of it stems from not having owned one. If you do it right and spend the money on something as I have, you really come to appreciate it over time.

And, if you still think a bidet is not for you, may I recommend that you consider a "squatty potty" or something similar? That is a game-changer!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Costco has one On Sale for about $300

Just went to look. Yeah, they have some nice ones.

I'll link the one I bought, but as you can see, it's a toilet included. My toilet was old and needed replacing.

However, all you need is a seat.

I would definitely recommend a heated seat and dryer. That is a must.

Also recommend a hand-held remote. One of the Costco seats I saw did not have a handheld remote.

Toto is the best brand you can buy. Look on Amazon at their seats as well.

Look for my video and extensive review on that Amazon product page. Easy to spot my name

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quick look on Amazon. If I were shopping for a bidet I would consider this...

If you are not convinced how much people LOVE their bidets, just take the time to read the Amazon reviews for either this model or any of the others. People can't believe they have lived without it all their lives. Once you get one, there are no regrets (unless it's a bad install). And like home theater gear or anything else, don't go cheap. You do get what you pay for.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I only just started trying one since my dad had one installed at his house. It’s VERY nice and soothing, though I find I still need to use a little bit of toilet paper afterwards.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I’ve never used one. I also don’t like a wet bottom.
???? So what happens when you take a bath or a shower? Most people wash themselves and then use a towel to dry off. How and why is using a bidet different?
I only just started trying one since my dad had one installed at his house. It’s VERY nice and soothing, though I find I still need to use a little bit of toilet paper afterwards.
Wrong!!!!! Use toilet paper first in the usual way and then use soap and water utilizing the bidet . . . . and wash your hands very thoroughly afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks