What's new

What's Your Opinion On Bidets? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I don’t think that’s it at all.

It's not. This was one of the reasons mentioned as to why Americans reject the concept of bidets. Nothing to do solely with feminine hygiene although that is one of its uses - actually, it's considered an added "perk". The main reason for a bidet is to wash down your bottom after doing the business. And to those who are worried about making a mess or wetting their butts: you're overthinking. You're supposed to dry yourself with a towel after the wash.

I think it's a great concept. Nobody can clean themselves 100% with just toilet paper - that's where the water comes in. And that's why there are people walking around who smell funny :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess I never understood or investigated how they work.
From what I’ve gathered they blast a stream of water onto your butt.
I don’t understand how that does anything but blast “stuff” all over the inside of the toilet bowl and your underside making another mess that needs to be cleaned up.
It is a low pressure fingerlet of water, not a fire hose. It doesn't "blast" anything.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There are so many misconceptions about a bidet and a tremendous reluctance for many even to try one based on misinformation.

However, I'll reiterate that there's nothing messy about the process. It does not blast stuff on the inside of the bowl.

I know I have been pushing the benefits over and over within this thread, but I truly feel this is a game-changer, particularly for the fact it's something that will be used daily, and it considerably improves your hygienic routine with an added level of comfort if you get the heated seat.

Come on, I gotta sell SOMEBODY here on a bidet.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Well, if Costco and others are now selling bidets or bidet-like accessories, that could only mean the concept is gaining popularity among a reluctant US population. Misinformation does seem to be keeping the commodes at bay, plus I think a lot of people are turned off by the fact that they may have to invest a considerable sum on renovations just to add a true bidet. I'm in a rental so I'm not about to go messing around behind my toilet to add plumbing for an add-on but I'm certainly a believer in these things.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've tried a bidet seat. It takes getting used to, since the sensation is odd for the first couple of times. I would install a seat, but I don't have a dedicated plug for it. I would have to use the plug that was once used for an electric razor. Unfortunately, the plug is tied into the bate9om light switch. It is off when the lights are out.

Also, I would have to replace my Toto as it has a poor bowl design. I wish I had never bought it. I would like to replace it with the Kohls model a relative had installed, however, the Toto is not that old. Replacing it would be expensive.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's not. This was one of the reasons mentioned as to why Americans reject the concept of bidets. Nothing to do solely with feminine hygiene although that is one of its uses - actually, it's considered an added "perk". The main reason for a bidet is to wash down your bottom after doing the business. And to those who are worried about making a mess or wetting their butts: you're overthinking. You're supposed to dry yourself with a towel after the wash.

I think it's a great concept. Nobody can clean themselves 100% with just toilet paper - that's where the water comes in. And that's why there are people walking around who smell funny :)
Unless you’re scrubbing with soap, I just can’t see where a bidet is cleaning much of anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Then you have the issue of wiping your (maybe) damp bottom with a towel to dry yourself, adding to the laundry.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Unless you’re scrubbing with soap, I just can’t see where a bidet is cleaning much of anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Then you have the issue of wiping your (maybe) damp bottom with a towel to dry yourself, adding to the laundry.

Of course you're using soap. That's the whole idea!

The main reason for a bidet is to wash down your bottom after doing the business. And to those who are worried about making a mess or wetting their butts: you're overthinking. You're supposed to dry yourself with a towel after the wash.

Nailed it! Absolutely right!

There are so many misconceptions about a bidet and a tremendous reluctance for many even to try one based on misinformation.

However, I'll reiterate that there's nothing messy about the process. It does not blast stuff on the inside of the bowl.

I know I have been pushing the benefits over and over within this thread, but I truly feel this is a game-changer, particularly for the fact it's something that will be used daily, and it considerably improves your hygienic routine with an added level of comfort if you get the heated seat.

Come on, I gotta sell SOMEBODY here on a bidet.

Can't sell me because I've already got one! But good luck with converting everyone else!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I use wet wipes after toilet paper then dry off with dry toilet paper.

Seems to work.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Handheld shower wands/hoses are a cheap alternative to bidets AFTER you wipe down with traditional tp. I've often jumped into the shower after doing the business for that extra clean feeling :)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Feeling clean is never bad,
and if you don't you'll wish you had.
A washlet sprays your keister clean,
and leaves the bowl with a sparkling sheen.
Your bottom wet? There's a blow drier,
which in an emergency can also put out a fire.

That's funny!!

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
We bought a bidet toilet seat for our powder room when toilet paper was scarce in the early pandemic days. Now we are believers. Put another seat in the kids bathroom and now contemplating a full Japanese style toilet for our master bath (not the $26,000 model).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But how does a bidet compare to the three seashells?
Or the Sears catalog or a corncob.

1677730599656.png

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a great concept. Nobody can clean themselves 100% with just toilet paper - that's where the water comes in.
Without getting too gross, I don't think it's a coincidence that many of the areas of the world where bidets are most common (ie. Mediterranean countries, South America, and South Asia) is strongly correlated with the areas of the world where people tend to be hairier, including "down there".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Okay well…we’ve been staying at a friends place and she recently had a bidet installed in the guest bathroom (I installed it).
She has a new toilet in her bathroom that has a hi-tech bidet so she bought “regular” bidets for the other bathrooms.
Took a few uses to find the best approach for myself but I got to the point of not needing paper and use significantly less wet wipes.

Looking into one for our house but not a super deluxe edition that costs a couple hundred.

So, I guess I’ve been turned.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay well…we’ve been staying at a friends place and she recently had a bidet installed in the guest bathroom (I installed it).
She has a new toilet in her bathroom that has a hi-tech bidet so she bought “regular” bidets for the other bathrooms.
Took a few uses to find the best approach for myself but I got to the point of not needing paper and use significantly less wet wipes.

Looking into one for our house but not a super deluxe edition that costs a couple hundred.

So, I guess I’ve been turned.

(chuckle)

Yup, all one needs to do is try one. All those misconceptions go out the window.

Listen, I realize everyone has a budget for these kinds of things. However, if you can swing it Tony, I would do it right the first time and get an attachment with a heated seat and dryer and perhaps a handheld remote.

You are going to spend around $300. This one is $229, has all the features you need, but no handheld remote

You also need to know if you have a round or elongated toilet for the right fit.

Let us know what you bought and what you think.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It will take me a bit of time.
Have to figure out how to justify $200+ for a toilette seat. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks