What's new

What's Your Favorite Live Album and Why? (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jack,

Ooops, sorry. I only meant that I copied it from LP to CD and cassette. I have around fifty Beatles albums copied to cassette so that I can listen to them in the car.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I love those as well. For a different take on Floyd, David Gilmour's concert DVD (can't remember the name now, it's the one released before Remember That Night) is rather interesting, where he does Comfortably Numb almost solo and is swapping guitars around, which means the band takes an extra two measures between verse and chorus. (Sorry, OT, this is about albums and not DVDs...)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
The David Gilmour dvd you're thinking of is called David Gilmour In Concert btw.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Somebody mentioned earlier (like 6 years ago :) ) Iggy Pop - TV Eye Live, which was the pared down label version of the '77 tour. There was a good bootleg (bought years ago when I was young and stupid- DON'T BUY BOOTLEGS KIDS!) called Suck On This, which had more tracks; I think I heard most of this tour originally on the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio show, which is probably where the bootleg came from. There was also the Sister Midnight CD released years later that had most of the good tracks on it. These early 1977 shows on the tour featured David Bowie on keyboards. I saw the tour in October of that year and Bowie was no longer in the backup band. Though Metalic KO was a mess, I have fond memories of that LP, because Ig was just so out there.

Another favorite live set is the John Coltrane The Complete Live at the Village Vanguard set on Impulse! This set goes well with session drinking.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Wow, epic thread resurrect!

I will add another Gabriel, New Blood Live, and Sting, Live in Berlin; both re-interpreting classics with the help of a full symphony orchestra, and both really great (and both available in hi-rez, if that is what you like, I know I do ;))

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I would also give an honorable mention to "And then there were three..." by Genesis. Sans Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett I find it to be a yeoman's effort by Phil, Tony and Mike.

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Wish I'd jumped in on this before now, but that's OK... There is one album I have re-purchased in many forms. Humble Pie - Rockin' The Fillmore. Pure balls-out screaming bluesy rock, with a teenage Peter Frampton in the band. Not too long ago I bought the special edition which contains all 4 shows, uncensored. For DVDs, Peter Gabriel Secret World Live is far and away my favorite.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Either Cheap Trick Live at Budokan or The Name of This Band is Talking Heads.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I would have to enthusiastically agree on the Humble Pie Rocking the Fillmore - that version of I Don't Need No Doctor is one of my all time favorite live songs.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
J Geils "Blow your Face OUT!"

And the why? It reminds me of how much fun live rock & roll should be.

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
What old guys like me think is awesome, Procol Harum Conquistador Live, and with the late BJ "Octopus" Wilson on drums.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Jimi Hendrix, Live at Winterland. Bought this CD in 1987 and was blown away by the sound quality, was amazed that the CD format could make a show taped in 1968 breathe so much, and by the quality of the performances from the band. It's the best Hendrix "Greatest Hits" compilation I've ever seen. Still love it 30 years later.

images

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw this thread come up and just had to add my favorite live album, from an entirely different genre, "An Evening with Julie Andrews", recorded live in Japan in 1977. The LP was released only in Japan by RCA Records. It is a delightful album (Julie even sings Do-Re-Mi in Japanese), and definitely needs a CD release. My favorite track is Julie's rendition of "And This is My Beloved", it simply soars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks