What's new

What are your top 5 favorite shows from the 1950s? (1 Viewer)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Steve...O said:
Jack Benny ProgramThe Adventures of SupermanThe Lone RangerThe Roy Rogers ShowWhat's My Line Honorable mention to The Cisco Kid simply because I spent many a half hour as a kid watching this in reruns....Leo Carillo's Pancho was great. Come to think of the only one of the above I didn't watch as a kid was WML which I discovered on the late, great Game Show Network's Classic Sunday night block.
Great list Steve...love the game show entry. I'm sooooooo hooked on "The Chase" with Burns and Labbett. Also...high marks for "The Jack Benny Show". That's what I love about this place so many have unique tastes and not so necessarily mainstream as mine. Well done Sir.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
A lot of westerns on this list!

I Love Lucy
Perry Mason
Gunsmoke
Have Gun Will Travel
The Rifleman

Honorable Mention:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Cheyenne
Wagon Train
Leave it to Beaver
The Twilight Zone

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... I couldn't let the deal go by at the $9.95 price so I ordered S1 of Gunsmoke. I mainly remember watching some of the hour length programs so it'll be interesting to see this first season. If it holds true to 50s form for dramas there'll be a lot of story packed into that short half hour.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Here is my Wagon Train top 5 episodes from the late 1950s, its early seasons.The Major Adams Story, Parts 1 & 2The Flint McCullough StoryThe Sacramento StoryThe Tobias Jones Story (Lou Costello in a rare dramatic role, one of two, a G.E. Theater episode the other.)The Stagecoach Story

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
Bob Gu said:
There was a VIRGINIAN pilot with James Drury shown in 1958 on a summer replacement show, for THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW, called DECISION.50s Favorites:ZORRO-Great fun! Even had serialized story arcs, that still made sense even if you missed some episodes.WHIRLYBIRDS- The flying stunts done for this show would probably be considered too dangerous and costly, insurance-wise, now-a-days.SERGEANT PRESTON OF THE YUKON- with Yukon King, the fastest lead dog in the Northwest! Waited fifty years to finally see this in color. Beautiful outdoor photography, with sometimes dodgy, but still colorful, interiors.CHEYENNE- Greatest lone TV cowboy ever!77 SUNSET STRIP- Fun show that didn't take itself seriously.All the ZIV series. SEA HUNT and HIGHWAY PATROL, especially, but all of them had strong lead actors and fast paced well produced stories from the first episode to the last. They are very addictive when watching on DVD.
i personally did not enjoy highway patrol as much as others, mainly because broderick Crawford had to play second fiddle to all those journeyman actors, yeah there are a few episodes that he took the lead but for the most part usually only half the screen time was devoted to him and the other half to some actor no one has ever heard of. The same goes for harbor command, which is literally highway patrol set on the water. But to get back on topic my five favorite shows are as followsHave gun will travelAmos n AndygunsmokePhil silvers showsAlfred hitchcick presents (never cared as much for the hour long episodes, espically due to lack of any twist endings).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks