Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The new "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" CD, also from newly-found original tapes, is wonderful. I'm all in on this box set. The enjoyable old Monster 2-disc edition with the various unconvincing surround mixes is about to be taken out of commission at my place, I think.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The new "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" CD, also from newly-found original tapes, is wonderful. I'm all in on this box set. The enjoyable old Monster 2-disc edition with the various unconvincing surround mixes is about to be taken out of commission at my place, I think.
Same!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
for the Christmas music experts, does 2022 seem a banner year for Christmas music new and re-releases? How does it compare to 2020 or 2018? I don't know what to think. It seems that there's been 30 new seasonal releases that I can see on iTunes, but how does that compare to years past.

==jthree

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The new Chris Isaak “Everybody Knows It's Christmas” album on Sun Records is mostly original songs and just great, the Steve Lawrence/Eydie Gorme “That Holiday Feeling” makes a great case for their reputation as terrific singers and not just a pop culture joke, the deluxe edition of the Norah Jones Christmas album is for once a truly deluxe edition with an entire second CD, the Sepia Records’ 2 CD “White Christmas/Holiday Inn” soundtrack is the most comprehensive and wide-ranging collection of music from and adjacent to those two great musicals, the new Vince Guaraldi box set of “A Charlie Brown Christmas” is incredible and exhaustive, and those are just the new releases so far. A decent haul in 2022, I’d say. I wasn’t terribly enamoured of the new Lindsey Stirling album, and “A Very Backstreet Christmas” contains a lot of technically superb R&B singing that is utterly devoid of identifiable personality, so they weren’t all diamonds.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The new Chris Isaak “Everybody Knows It's Christmas” album on Sun Records is mostly original songs and just great, the Steve Lawrence/Eydie Gorme “That Holiday Feeling” makes a great case for their reputation as terrific singers and not just a pop culture joke, the deluxe edition of the Norah Jones Christmas album is for once a truly deluxe edition with an entire second CD, the Sepia Records’ 2 CD “White Christmas/Holiday Inn” soundtrack is the most comprehensive and wide-ranging collection of music from and adjacent to those two great musicals, the new Vince Guaraldi box set of “A Charlie Brown Christmas” is incredible and exhaustive, and those are just the new releases so far. A decent haul in 2022, I’d say. I wasn’t terribly enamoured of the new Lindsey Stirling album, and “A Very Backstreet Christmas” contains a lot of technically superb R&B singing that is utterly devoid of identifiable personality, so they weren’t all diamonds.

A Charlie Brown Christmas is on my list. I’ve been enjoying listening to it on Spotify and plan on picking up the title this Christmas. It’s pricey but I’ll splurge on the 5 disc set.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I picked up--among other things--the new Alicia Keys Christmas album.

There wasn't a single track on it I liked.
Are you a fan of her non-Christmas tracks? She's never really grabbed me with anything she's released. I sampled a few of the Christmas tracks on iTunes and decided to pass.

My two new Christmas albums this year are from Debbie Gibson ("Winterlicious") and Kristin Chenoweth ("Happiness Is ... Christmas!". I think this one actually came out last year, it's her second Christmas album). Both are pretty good, IMO, though I've only really listened to them once each so far. As expected with Debbie, half the tracks are originals that she wrote. There also seem to be a number of originals on Kristin's album, or at least songs I don't recognize. Not sure of the writing credits.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I picked up--among other things--the new Alicia Keys Christmas album.

There wasn't a single track on it I liked.

I sampled it and opted not to buy it - it just wasn’t clicking with me. She has an amazing voice but the arrangements of the classics weren’t what I was in the mood for.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Are you a fan of her non-Christmas tracks? She's never really grabbed me with anything she's released. I sampled a few of the Christmas tracks on iTunes and decided to pass.

Not really. But I've seen her perform live on some different TV shows.

She is vexing because she seems so incredibly talented, yet I find myself turned off by her choices.

I've got the Chris Isaak CD coming in the next day or so.

I got the Chenoweth CD last year. There's a lot to like there. So interesting to hear her sing Merry Christmas Darling. So beautiful yet her voice is SO different from Karen Carpenter's.

===============================

I had someone turn me on, this year, to a Christmas CD done by a group called Monalisa Twins. This is the new, fantastic Christmas CD I've been waiting-for for quite awhile. Great covers. Great originals. I had never heard of them before. Apparently they have a huge online following--lots of Beatles covers. I am just starting to learn about them. But they are two very talented young women (twins) who can really sing and play. The entire CD is a treat. HIGHLY recommended for those of us into Christmas music.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It has been quite awhile since I've posted about Christmas re-issues here, and happy to share the email I got today from Real Gone Music. They have announced two new Christmas CDs available to preorder. First up:

201374922742_1024x1024.jpg

Between 1961 and 1970, families across the United States delighted in an annual series of Christmas releases available exclusively through Goodyear stores. A whopping 900,000 copies of the first volume of The Great Songs of Christmas were pressed–and proved so successful that, by December 1, 1961, Goodyear ordered all advertising to stop as the album had already sold out! The following year’s order was for 1.5 million albums, and 2 million the year after that. These high-quality albums not only featured the era’s top artists but frequently presented songs and versions unavailable anywhere else. Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records are proud to continue the rich tradition of The Great Songs of Christmas with an all-new volume in the classic spirit. The Great Songs of Christmas: Masterworks Edition brings together 18 lush selections primarily drawn from the original, long out-of-print series of LPs, featuring the most beloved carols of all time as performed by the greatest classical artists of the 20th century. These legends include Leonard Bernstein and The New York Philharmonic, Eugene Ormandy and The Philadelphia Orchestra, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, opera greats Richard Tucker, Robert Merrill, and Anna Moffo, cellist-conductor Pablo Casals, and Erich Leinsdorf and The London Symphony Orchestra with The Roger Wagner Chorale. Half of the tracks are new to CD, and the rest can be fiendishly tough to find on out-of-print compilations. This volume of The Great Songs of Christmas has been freshly remastered by Mike Milchner at SonicVision, and features new, track-by-track liner notes by The Second Disc’s Joe Marchese. The Great Songs of Christmas: Masterworks Edition promises to become a cherished part of your family’s annual Christmas tradition…and a treasure trove for Christmas music collectors!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks