What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What’s your charging solution? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What’s your charging solution?

I want to consolidate my bedroom charging system. I’m trying to decide between random no-name charging I heard about on a podcast, that’s really close to perfect in overall design for my space.

Or wait for the new Belkin quick has all the newest fast charging features, brand name, reputable. But not really my preference in layout. And more than triple the price of the rando charger.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve got a bit of that too.
Now that I’ve got a watch and MagSafe iPhone and a newer USB C iPad, I want to rework my adapters to the newer GaN types, get some better inductive chargers that fit the 13 Pro Max, etc.

i also want new charger job for travel.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I use mostly wireless chargers, which I have placed in strategic locations throughout our two homes. I have single and dual charging pads from Anker, as well as single pads and stands from Yootech. All have worked well for our phones and earbuds. The only other devices I recharge regularly are my Kindle and Bushnell golf GPS (both use the same micro USB connection), and I just grab a wall wart and cable when needed (although I do leave one plugged in our kitchen near a wireless charging pad). I rarely use my iPad anymore.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve got the cheap stand setup. Quick take: I like it. It’s compact and with a single adapter and cable, charges iPhone, Watch, AirPods. And my Pro Max no longer lays askew due to the camera bump; it’s properly attached on the magnetic connector. And it’s about $36 with current coupon for a 3-in-1 charger. That’s over $110 cheaper than the not-yet-shipping Belgian charger I was considering.

Also, unlike my older inductive charger, there’s no fan. (it has a vent, and if there’s a fan, it’s inaudible) A fan doesn’t bother me, but I prefer not to have random whirring noises if I don’t have to have them.

It has a ring light around the base that pulses blue or green when charging or not. Its easily turned off when a tap of a button on the base.

The downside, that I now understand after buying it: It’s not true “MagSafe”. It’s Qi charger with MagSafe-compatible magnets. It’s not true MagSafe fast charging. I don’t get the MagSafe animation when charging begins. Likewise, it doesn’t support the latest Watch fast charging.

On the other hand, did I mention it’s $110 dollars cheaper than the not-yet-buyable product that will do that stuff? And the cheap product is also more compact for a bedside stand?

So, I think this is a fair compromise for my needs.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Returning the charging station. It repeatedly wakes up the Watch, making it audibly chime and light up, like it's just been placed on the charger. This happens repeatedly through the night. This never happens on Apple charger. Maybe it's fine. But it's not normal. And with upwards of $1600 of gear on this thing, I'm not going to risk it's doing something bad seeing anomalous behavior.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@DaveF - Dude, you have a LOT of devices! In your case you'd think Apple would build a custom charging solution for you. :cool:
As for me I use the old school cabled USB stuff and will likely continue that way. My car has wireless charging but that's the only modern charging device I own. Sad. I know...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@DaveF - Dude, you have a LOT of devices! In your case you'd think Apple would build a custom charging solution for you. :cool:
As for me I use the old school cabled USB stuff and will likely continue that way. My car has wireless charging but that's the only modern charging device I own. Sad. I know...
IPhone, Watch, AirPods, and iPad. Just the normal amount. :)
(And wife has the same.)

And yes it’s weird that Apple has completely failed to make a multi-device charging thing. They’re not even very good at single-device chargers. What’s to be done? 🤷‍♂️

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I did just buy an Anker GaN USB C 20W charger. I need to get my new USB-C watch charger connected in the bedroom, so I can use the USB A chargers for travel over the holidays. At least until I get a new bedside table charging station picked out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought the brand-new for 2022 Belkin 3-in-1 wireless charging pad. I was tired of my hodgepodge charging setup and I didn't like how the new iPhone 13 Pro Max didn't fit my Anker charging pad. This also eliminated a cable and plug from my setup. And it's just nicer looking and easier to use overall.

IMG_2152.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg IMG_0122.jpeg

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...pro-3-in-1-wireless-charging-pad-with-magsafe

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Actual MagSafe charger for phone means it snaps into place and isn’t easily bumped out of alignment. Much less likely to fail to charge at night due my placement error or cats prowling.

Watch charger can fold flat if you prefer to charge in that orientation. I prefer flipped up since normal band is Velcro sports loop band.

Previous no-name cheap 2-in-1 charger made my watch bing and toggle charging on and off repeatedly (every 20 to 60 minutes Watch would bing like it had started charging anew). Have not seen this behavior with Belkin charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks