What's new

Hardware Review Panasonic TC-P55ST60 3D Plasma HTF Equipment Review (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Put it this way...

Plasma creates the "closest to accurate" picture there is. Once a plasma is "beyond its break in"...if you see "picture issues"...it is normally the source.

Speaking of source...

OTA, Sat(Dish or Directv) or cable?

Cable creates more HD artifacts than the other two.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
jgenshlea said:
1) There is an unusual affect when the camera eye pans around...the picture gets remarkably clear. I did some googling, and I suspect that this is the "Soap opera effect" that I've read about. Some writers suggest that there is an "Image smoothing" setting in this model, but for the life of me, I can not locate this setting.
'Motion Smoother'
From plasmatvbuyingguide.com:
Motion Smoother (IMPORTANT)
This is an important setting on the ST60 and the TV comes with this setting activated on all preset picture modes. You will have to play with it to find out what your preferences are for normal programming and movies. Your choice is to either turn it off and see the picture as naturally intended with some background blur and judder, or use the feature with much of the background blur and judder removing. This may bother you as it produces an artificial appearance – some call it the Soap Opera effect, others the Fishbowl appearance. The Weak setting option within the control does not seem to produce much problem and is worth considering. Otherwise, we prefer the feature be left off. The Mid and Strong settings produce too much (of that stuff). To get to the control go to the top left menu button, then the right arrow key to access Picture settings, then scroll down to the second page, and there you will find the Motion Smoother. Turn off or to the Weak setting.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The worst thing in the world for hd TV's is the High frame rate BS. It's available from nearly every manufacturer and called many different things(on my Sony it is cinemotion or something equally useless).

I don't know how many people I know tell me the same thing --'It's a great tv, but it just doesn't look right'. Well that's because most TV's are preset with the stupid function turned on. I've turned a couple of them off for friends, on others I explained the malarchy, and they remedied it.

It should be somewhere on your Panasonic.......turn that sucker off, and you should be good.

Attachments

• housekeeping 2.jpg
    housekeeping 2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 133,999

jgenshlea

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Now that I've routed the Optical digital connectors through the AVR, there is a very noticeable video lag (video appears to lag behind audio) help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks