What's new

What's with all this cheering and clapping after a movie? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Cees, come on now, admit it, the only time you Dutch clapped and cheered at a movie WAS Basic Instinct
Only a very few Steve. For clapping you need two hands. And, yes, he's Dutch. Hence some of the irony of his.

Cees

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I find it ridiculous that a band or artist holds out one or two big familiar numbers just so that you know (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) they're obviously coming back.
I think you're being a little too cynical here. Bands have to know what they're going to play and have an arrangement ready if there is a request for an encore. So do theatrical troupes if the applause continues after the standard curtain calls. You don't want everyone just wandering back out on stage, and you don't want the band standing around asking each other what they should play. (I've produced plays and musical performances for community theaters, and that is always a part of the planning.) Nobody is "holding out" anything. Most bands on tour play stuff from their current album, and maybe one or two familiar numbers. For the encore they go back into the catalog. And, of course, the encore songs are rehearsed and staged and the lighting and effects guys have practiced what they're going to do. You don't want the encore to look like crap compared to the rest of the show.
The difference is that almost every concert audience is going to want "just one more song" from the band (unless the performance was really bad one night) whereas theatrical audiences may only appluad for awhile and then leave. But either way, you have to be ready.
It's a bit like Academy Awards acceptance speeches. An actor may think he/she has no chance of winning, but you can bet they have some prepared remarks in their pockets, just in case. ;)
On the general theme of the thread: I go back to people watching sporting events in their own homes. Don't they often cheer, applaud (and sometimes stand) after a big score or a key play? What's up with that? (Most people only do that in groups, but my brother-in-law, who went to college on a football scholarship, has been known to behave the same way when watching an NFL game by himself. :)) I think the key to the mystery is in Theo's last post. He felt uncomfortable and left out. That doesn't mean that what everyone else was doing was odd or wrong, it just means that they had a different reaction than he did.
Regards,
Joe

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
As a hardcore football fan, I've been known to yell and some similar things while watching a game, but I too find applause at a movie annoying.

I guess the best way I can explain it is that sports is "real life." That is, you're watching live action, with real people. When you root for a team, it's as if there's something actually at stake. Oh sure, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter, but it does when you're engrossed in the game.

When I high-five a bud my team scores, it's an expression of joy that something good happened. If a player does something spectacular, we might say, "Wowee, what a catch!" But you can't shout out that sort of thing at a movie, because it ruins it for others.

My quirk is yelling at the TV, a habbit I picked up from my father. We shout at coaches when they make calls we don't agree with, express our disgust with a defensive back who lost a receiver, etc. But coaches get the most of my verbal punishment. Sure, the coach can't hear it, but I just get so mad sometimes. Especially watching the Jets.

A more practical consequence of doing this stuff while watching sports is to incurr debate. Should they go for it on 4th and 1, or kick a field goal? Add a few beers to the mix, and if you're lucky, you'll find yourself involved in a fight. It's all part of the fun. However, you can't debate, yell, or fight during a movie.

So, you can't compare sports with movies.

Also, laughing and clapping are different. The first is a reaction. Have you ever found yourself unable to control laughter? Applause is more of a conscious decision. I don't think anyone ever found themselves unable to control applause.

For some reason, I only noticed the applause at movies recently. My memory tells me that no one applauded at movies until a few years ago, now it happens everytime I go. That's why I find it irritating: it was fine that way it was.

You guys should try going to a movie in Brooklyn. I wish people would just applaud.

"Yo, watch out sista!"

"Whoop! Whoop!"

and so on.

David Oliver

Second Unit
I've never really understood clapping either. How come we don't see the communal booing after a particulary bad movie?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
How come we don't see the communal booing after a particulary bad movie?
I've see that, too. (Hell, I've heard booing during a bad movie. Does anyone remember the Bo Derek version of Tarzan the Ape Man? The only genuine entertainment value I got from that flick - aside from Bo being naked a lot - was the catcalls and heckling from the audience.)
And I've already mentioned Rocky and All the President's Men, both release about 25 years ago, so this is hardly a new phenomenon.
And cheering can be involuntary, too, as someone else has already pointed out. As for sports being "live" - crap. I've seen exactly the same behavior during airings of tape-delayed events from overseas, or even when watching a tape of a game that was on while a group of us were at another event (like a wedding :)) and didn't know the outcome. Nor do the coaches hear when you yell at them. So this is no more "rational" than clapping in a movie theater.
Why does one bother people while the other is not only accepted, but defended?
Regards,
Joe

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I saw a few people clap after the showing I went to. I was one of them.
And I've heard them boo - at a different show, of course! (Austin Powers 2 anyone?).
Why clap? It is merely an acknowledgement of a job well done, similar to the bow described earlier. Yes, the actors are not there, but it serves to present what is felt in the heart. :D Call it expression of emotion added to the Collective Unconscious! :D:D:D
BUT, and that is a BIG BUT!!! - it should only be done AFTER a particular piece is complete. Like an entire symphony, not specific movements. If you liked how someone in particular did, clap harder when they show up...
Mike

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Mike

Is there a certain etiquette depending on the type of music? I'm not a jazz aficionado but when I've gone to listen to a group play it seems that the crowd invariably breaks out into applause after a solo in the middle of the song. As far as I can remember the artists acknowledged this applause favorably with a nod or subtle bow.

Ray

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Yes, to some degree there is. Solo performances in a setting like a jazz club are often applauded. Occasionally, also at an operetta. And very rarely, at an opera.
Those are the only ones I remember offhand. I am sure Emily Post has a few things to say on the subject ;) but I do not have her book handy... :D
Mike

bill lopez

Second Unit
So far no one's mentioned Black action or Kung fu movies from the 70's. You would hear wise cracks and swearing at the screen. Some what of a midnight ROCKY HORROR crowd.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Audience reaction at musical performances? You guys should check out some blues clubs.

"Yeah, right on!" And so forth.

Jazz audiences used to be a lot more rowdy before jazz became academised and adopted by the white middle class. Heck, jazz used to be dance music.

And what about the Apollo theater?

As I said before, you can't compare audiences for different events.

In sports, when you cheer or yell at the coach, you're not actually doing it at them, you're communicating with people you're watching the game with. Lively discussion is a part of sports viewing. Also, you're cheering an event, not a presentation.

In live music and theater, you're expressing your approval to the performers.

As long as people leave the babies at home, turn off the cell phones, and shut up during the movie, they can applaud all they want when it's over for all I care.

Jason Boucher

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that contrived encores are worse. I also eschew applause during solos, but suppose this is the only way to give individual recognition (although I have been to symphonic performances where the conducter will have certain members stand to acknowledge applause at the end of a piece). I suppose a club performance would be an exception.

Another related gripe is phony standing ovations, such as during the State of the Union address. This has spilled over to all types of political functions where an elected leader gets a standing ovation merely for being introduced. This bothers me the most.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
At a late night showing of Godzilla (w/ Broderick) I heard booing, groaning and snoring. Come on, I was on a date with a real knockout redhead, and she wanted to see it! Of course now she's out of my life, and I can't have those two hours back (although I did fall asleep for about 20 minutes so it wasn't a total loss). :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I think you're being a little too cynical here. Bands have to know what they're going to play and have an arrangement ready if there is a request for an encore.
Oh, I agree with that. What I'm talking about is the encore that is always performed, regardless of audience reaction, hence, part of the show.
The most extreme example I can give is from recently seeing a Beatles tribute band, Yesterday. There was a piano (not just an electric keyboard) onstage through the whole concert, but when they "ended" the show and left the stage, it hadn't been played! It didn't take the smartest Beatles fan to realize that the piano's sole purpose was for them to perform "Hey Jude," but this group held the song out for an imaginary "encore" rather than just playing it in the show proper. Rubbed me the wrong way... that and the group's unintentional mockery of the 60s "peace" ideal.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
the only times that i ever have a problem with people clapping and whatnot is when they do it in the middle of a movie (usually when the bad guy gets it) bc then THERE IS ALWAYS SOME KIND OF DIALOUGE missed bc some folk felt the need to clap. past that i like it when people clap (ex end of the film) bc that means they liked it.. or they are just really glad the movie is over.. :alien:

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
"Encores" in concerts are almost never (if ever) spontaneous and unexpected. The may have started out that way many years ago, but not any more. Essentially they are always planned and part of the show. You can even see it in how they manage the effects/lights.

Band plays "last piece" and walks off stage.

Audience claps enthusiastically. Note that the lights are off (as they were while the band was still on stage).

Band comes back on stage.

Plays another piece.

Band walks off stage. Lights stay off.

Audience claps.

Plays another song.

Band walks off stage. Lights are still off.

Audience claps.

Band plays their most famous song.

Band walks off stage. The lights immediately come on ending any chance for another spontaneous "encore request".

The audience files out.

If you see a performer more than once, then you get to be familiar with their concert routine. The "encore" songs are the usually same songs for the entire tour. The final encore piece is usually the same song for most of their touring career.

Take Billy Joel, for example. You know the show isn't over until he sings Piano Man. No matter what he's currently singing. Or what "encore" he's doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks