Applause for Themselves

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MathewM, Dec 20, 2001.

1. MathewM

MathewM Stunt Coordinator

Watched Lord of the Rings with a sold out, enthralled, well-behaved crowd last night. I thouroughly enjoyed it as well, but this is not a review of the film itself (which I'm sure would be moved by the moderator). When the film came to an end with the fade to black and the credits began to roll there was tremendous applause. The crowd from what I could tell dearly loved it. However, after about 10 seconds of clapping, all at once about 90% of the audience (noisily) jumped up out of their seats and the houselights went up full blast. Now, with it being a sold out show, obviously there was a line to get out of the theater. So here you have over 200 people basically standing in front of their seats while the rest of us are trying to enjoy the closing credits.

I don't usually clap at the end of films no matter how great they are. Applause is meant for the entertainer/performer in my opinion. With a movie, unless one of the filmmakers is present in the audience, there is no one to applaude for. What I don't get is why the crowd, if trully enjoying the film as they did, did not not want to bother with viewing the closing credits, to find out who they were cheering for. Basically, they're applauding for themselves. Did they all have to use the bathroom at once? If there wasn't such a mad rush to the exit, theaters might be more inclined to leave the houselights down till the end of the credits. I view the closing credits as somewhat of a closure. I don't read every single job description, but I like the satisfied feeling of seeing all who were in involved with such a well made production. Any others have similar opinions?

2. Michael Moulton

Michael Moulton Stunt Coordinator

I never understood applause in movie theaters either.

We got a lot of applause for the Episode 2 trailer, some applause and cheering after the battle with the orcs near the end, and at the end of the movie.

As for the credits... normally I have the exact same problem you had. However, last night, more people stayed than I think I have ever seen before.

3. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

Applause is just a way humans express appreciation. And I didn't wait for the credits cause I had been sitting for 3 hours and I needed a cigarette hehe

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'll applaud if a movie really connects with me. I admit it might seem kinda weird, since there aren't any performers in the room to hear the audience appreciation, but heck.

A movie is a play is a concert is a movie. If something "moves" you, applauding is a nice way to show it.

Would it be better if (instead of clapping) people stood up and yelled "We Like! Movie Good!"?

5. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

Well, speaking as an ex college projectionist, it is very unprofessional to bring up the house lights until the credits are done rolling and the projector shuts down.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

People jump up out of their seats before the closing credits for a few reasons:

1) After sitting through a movie, especially a long one, many have to use the can.

2) Your legs get stiff, and you want to stretch them out.

3) People don't want to stand in a line getting out of the theater. Of course, since everyone jumps up right away, they therefore do end up in line, but there it is. I've seen people run out of concerts before waiting to see if there will be an encore.

4) Most people just don't care about the names of the people. I mean, usually people already know who directed and starred in it. How is knowing the names of makeup designer and executive producer going to help them? Remember, most don't even care about things like OAR, how do expect them to care about names and job descriptions they've never heard of.

But yes, I also think applause at a movie is silly. Never done it, never will.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Applause is rather silly in a theater, but so is laughter. The performers aren't there, so why laugh?

I think applause to many is just a natural reaction when they get really excited about something, just like laughter is a natural reaction if something's really funny.

/Mike

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    All of you guys must be in your 20s or something [​IMG] , because applause at movie theaters used to be much more common. When I was growing up in the 60s I remember ALWAYS applauding at the end of a film. These days, when it happens, I feel it's because a film has really connected with an audience.
    As far as applauding when the credits start instead of when they end - what's the first credit we see after FotR:

9. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Count me as one who does both. (I'm in my 20's, by the way.) Clapping at the movies is pretty redundant, but I do it anyways. I only do it when I've really liked a movie. It's my way of expressing thanks for a great film, even though nobody is there to hear it.

I'm also one who rushes out of the theater as soon as the credits roll. I usually know who the actors are and who the director is. If I have to find out who did what, I will stick around sometimes, but usually just check IMDb at home. Beyond the priciples I don't know who any of those people are, won't remember their name, and don't care to. Do you?

And if you're sticking around for the credits to show your appreciation to the filmmakers, why don't you clap? After all they're not there to see that you're reading their name.

I show my thanks by clapping, maybe you show yours by staying through to the very end.

10. MathewM

I agree with all those who applaude at the end of a film, and I actually get a kick out of it (as long as I liked the film too. Harry Potter, a film I didn't really care for had applause as well, though I just had to roll my eyes). I just don't usually feel the need to. Now of course if the director or someone else involved in the production was there with the audience it would be different. What bugged me though was the mad frenzy afterwards. Having the houselights abrubtly turned on along with everyone getting up at once totally sucked me out of Middle Earth way to abruptly. A lot of you stated that nobody cares who the hairdresser or prop-master is, well your wrong. There are a lot of us who are interested in who these people are and how many of them there are. Along with hearing the closing strings of the composer's score, there is a sense of completion and satisfaction that those leaving before hand are missing.

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Applause works as FEEDBACK to the rest of the audience, just as laughter, etc. It is an art for the community, not the individual (thus the 100s of seats). So the applause at the end is people telling each other "Hey, I really liked that." "Yes, I agree."
    People do these things to express their emotions and that doesn't have to be only to the performers.
    No different than yelling at the screen, although usually more polite. [​IMG]

12. MathewM

Thanks Seth for articulating on something I believe in. As much as I hate crowds and their sometimes mob attitudes, there is something gratifying about being amongst those who as a whole enjoyed the film just as much as you did. Perhaps I'm too introspective or non-conformist to applaud with the audience. dunno.

13. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I remember seeing Beauty and the Beast in theaters and the audience clapped after each musical number, just as if we were watching a stage show.