What's new

What's up with the horrid transfer of BOOMERANG? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
This is my favorite Eddie Murphy comedy. Got a chance to check it out today and was totally "unimpressed" with the transfer. For a 90's movie the grain was unacceptable and the colors were so faded it was sad! I've not seen Paramount issue out so poor a transfer since their early days of DVD. The surround was alright but the video transfer leaves alot to be desired. Good thing for me I rented it first!

Sad to say Paramount put very little if any care into the preparation of this title. It definitely needs a remaster but I'm pretty sure we won't see this happen.

David

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Recently I purchased this title and I agree that the video transfer is in dyer need of an overhaul. But in defense of the current transfer, this film did have a subdued color pallet. Now my major disappointment aside from the video transfer is the fact the 5.1 mix lacks dynamic range. Even though this picture is a comedy it carries a truly active sound mix. If anyone’s ever heard this film on Laser Disc they’d know exactly what I’m attempting to convey.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I love the movie and was glad to see it was given 16x9/5.1 treatment, but I have to say that the A/V quality was not great.

But it could be worse, many early Paramount releases were LBX...some were downright ugly (Event Horizon).

I still haven't watched many of my Paramount LBX titles yet (Days of Thunder, Ghost & Darkness, Primal Fear)...wish me luck.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Interestingly enough someone had posted a similar thread in the Studio Feedback section and Martin from PARAMOUNT comment that the transfer was approved by Reggie Hudlin and another forum member stated in the thread that perhaps "i didn't understand film grain" and that perhaps I hadn't seen the original transfer? Of course this forum member had never seen the transfer. Even worse than that is Martin defended the person's opinion (who had never seen the film) and referred to some of the comments as being "unelightened" as to how a film transfer is to be!
I found the whole thing totally insulting!! I had seen BOOMERANG theatrically and on VHS and on TV and I can
still definitively state that this is worse transfer of the film yet!! It's embarrasingly bad and if Reggie Hudlin really approved the transfer of this film then Paramount did a "bait and switch" with him and used a different film element because it sucks big time!!
What's scary to me is that this transfer will probably never be upgraded that even with Eddie's popularity it will fall in the line of films like a THE FIVE HEARTBEATS (which in addition to one of the worse telecine job's you'll ever see has a 4.0 soundtrack with no "back channel" at all (i've placed my ear up right next to it and has no sound at all. That's one I definitely use the 2.0 DD mix for)!
I guess one can always hope? However I question wheter PARAMOUNT will do right by this film and give us at least a decent transfer!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
"Boomerang" is by far one of my favourite Eddie Murphy pictures. I've yet to purchase the DVD, and from the sounds of things, I'm glad I haven't. If the transfer really is as bad as many state, then I will definitely hold out for a better edition. I've seen this movie countless times, both in the theatre, on VHS & television, so I'm sure I would notice if the transfer is sub-par.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I had rented this one Andrew and i'll be honest and encourage you if you have the VHS you have the better version. It's an absolute horrid transfer and PARAMOUNT should be ashamed that they issued it!

As for the movie itself it is Eddie's funniest movie!! What I appreciated about it was the storyline itself along with Eddie sharing along with David Allen Grier and Martin Lawrence in the comedy!!!

Great movie and including soundtrack too!!

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

My opinion it's NOT!!! It is absolutely the worse PARAMOUNT transfer i've seen outside of GODFATHER III with the faded out picture and unacceptable grain that was never in the theatrical release!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Thank you for the advice David. Also, thanks to Robert for pointing to that thread. I've decided that I'll simply rent it this weekend to see for myself. If the transfer is that bad, I'd rather spend $4 to rent as opposed to $24 to buy. I'll be watching it on a 52" RCA RPTV. Next week, I'll post my thoughts about the transfer here.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
absolutely the worse PARAMOUNT transfer i've seen outside of GODFATHER III
I would once again nominate 'Event Horizon' for that dubious honor.

The LBX PQ is so low-rez you can count the scanlines at any given moment, very poor and distracting.

As for Boomerang, it was merely underwhelming without being noticeable bad (IMHO).

Anyway, I don't think you'll see another DVD release of this title.

Used copies are around for $8 (Coconuts, FYE, Strawberries), a good deal I think.

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
Martin Blythe said
Boomerang was transferred to high def from a new IP off the original neg. This is our standard practice. It was then downconverted for the DVD. The transfer was supervised by Reginald Hudlin (with our digital mastering folks).
That seems far-fetched when New Line drops near reference quality transfers for movies of Boomerang’s vintage and of lesser stature.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Usually PARAMOUNT's transfer's are pretty consistent and perhaps it's because of their transfer policy. However it's apparent that the original negative was in poor condition then if the IP is minted directly from the negative. Either way a very poor presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks