What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (4 Viewers)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Ordered some used, nicely-priced series sets from Amazon UK Marketplace:

51ARFM67KFL._AC_SX342_.jpg

41rP5Z3oCdL._AC_.jpg

And to round out my ITC collection, a rare sitcom oddity from 1970:

71vOuC2aBDL._AC_SY445_.jpg
Jeff I'll be looking forward to hearing your comments on From A Bird's Eye View!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Are those getting difficult to find now?

I remember when they came out, you could have them for $10 per season.

They are getting difficult to find. I wasn't seeing them for quite as low as $10, but I started picking them up when I'd find them for $12-15 each. Only managed to get a few of them at that price. Kept seeing them for $25 each. They seemed to vanish from brick'n'mortar stores, and even used copies seemed hard to find.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
My above order of both Dad's Army: The Complete Collection and The Vicar of Dibley Complete Collection have arrived. The Dad's Army set is fabulous, and I'm pleased with the content of the Dibley set, too...though it is not complete, of course, which I knew when I ordered it. I was somewhat surprised at the size of the box, though...essentially 5 single-disc individual season or "specials" DVDs crammed in a good-sized cardboard sleeve, each disc in its own Amaray case. A real waste of shelf space, IMO. The collection doesn't include the final two-part series finale, in which Geraldine (Dawn French) marries Richard Armitage. Sampling some of the newly-arrived "Complete" set reminded me of just how damn funny this show is, so I went ahead and ordered (from Amazon UK, for around $12 shipped) the final single disc DVD set (Holy Wholly Happy Ending) to round out the series.

51VEK%2BblaRL._AC_.jpg

In addition, I also recently received, from a very kind friend, the following:

Copenhagen / Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond
The High Chaparral: The Final Season
(Now I just need S3 to complete the series.)

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Barney Miller - Complete Series.

This is another which I'd not intended to collect the entire series, planning to stop with S5. I already own copies of S1-S4 and have just been waiting for a "deal" ($10 or less for a new copy) for S5. Amazon then goes and puts the Complete Series on sale at a price that meant the last 4 seasons (Fish S1 is not included in this set - that's OK as I recall not caring for it much) would be ~$12/each (ignoring S1-S4 - add those and it's a bit over $6/each season). For that price, and that S4 is constantly in the $17 range, I couldn't let the deal pass.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Does the slimmed-down Barney Miller all-in-one have any of the bonuses from the original, or is it just the episodes?
Based solely on the disc count, which is 2 fewer than the set that includes Fish, I'd say the rest is the same. They've also eliminated the 40 page booklet (something I'll never miss). There are 2 seasons per Amaray case, like the original release, and the cases look to be identical. I've not yet opened the set (and likely won't for some time) so don't know if any of the other video bonus features have been removed but I'd doubt it as that'd take a new pressing. I figure this updated set is identical outside the inclusion of Fish and the booklet.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why will you never miss the booklet?
I only look at most of them only once and rarely read any of them (the massive "booklets" in the Monty Python BR set are exceptions as they're more production histories - but if I had the set without them I'd not miss them as I have several books about the show). 99.9% of the time the information they contain is easily available on the internet. The series for which I'd truly care I likely own one or more books about the series, making included booklets mostly redundant.

If there is an episode list on/inside the case that's all I normally bother with or care about. Even then, just the episode numbers printed on a disc label is often enough as episode descriptions are easy to obtain. I rarely pull out a single episode of any show to watch, typically watching a disc at a time if not the entire season. And that's even with favorite shows. If I pull a single disc for a specific episode I find I usually will watch every episode on that disc.

I'm one of those people who rarely watches bonus material. All I care about are the episodes, which I want looking good and uncut. I don't care for "Collector packaging" - just put it in standard cases (no paper sleeves, digipaks, envelopes) inside a sturdy outer box that's designed to fit a standard media shelf.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The series for which I'd truly care I likely own one or more books about the series, making included booklets mostly redundant.
At least two of the books I have about vintage television cover all the series that they are about: James Rosin's 2011 book about The Streets of San Francisco, and Sandra Grabman's 2018 book on Petrocelli.

MGW&G2002

Auditioning
Real Name
Martin
Got a few on Blu-ray from a relative (First five years of The X-Files, whole things of Star Trek Next Generation, Sopranos, Friday Night Lights, First season of Veep).
Last purchase: Modern Family

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
At least two of the books I have about vintage television cover all the series that they are about: James Rosin's 2011 book about The Streets of San Francisco, and Sandra Grabman's 2018 book on Petrocelli.

Even better than tie-in books about a particular show during and/or after its original first-run, is reading the original source material published before the show was ever on the air. (ie. Stuff that wasn't originally a tie-in book/novel).

As an example, the recent CBS show Criminal Minds was based loosely on books written by former FBI profiler John Douglas and other profilers (such as Robert Ressler). The Gideon and Rossi characters were purportely based loosely also on John Douglas.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Freaks & Geeks. I don't know which I am? I guess everybody knows and the scalpers thanks to shout this is oop. had to get!! Been watching Wonder Years a lot lately thanks to this order. wondering of My so called Life is worth getting.
Twilight Zone 1980s complete. I thought this was gone too when the price shot up but they got more in. it's back down to $30. I wish outer limits 1980s was like this too.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Twilight Zone 1980s complete. I thought this was gone too when the price shot up but they got more in. it's back down to $30. I wish outer limits 1980s was like this too.

Are you thinking of the 1995-2002 revived Outer Limits ?

It appears that revived version was handled on dvd by Echo Bridge in america.

Not clear who currently owns it. Reading the wikipedia and imdb pages, it appears it might be owned by Alliance Atlantis. Apparently Alliance Atlantis has been bought/sold several times, where its current descendent owner might possible be eOne. Currently eOne is owned outright by the toy company Hasbro.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Freaks & Geeks. I don't know which I am? I guess everybody knows and the scalpers thanks to shout this is oop. had to get!! Been watching Wonder Years a lot lately thanks to this order. wondering of My so called Life is worth getting.
Wish Outer Limits 1980s (do you mean 1990s?) was like what? Available rather inexpensively?

Complete Series currently ~$104 from Amazon w/Prime shipping.

Individual seasons are in the $15 range each (and I "need" 4 to complete this so will be jumping on these while they're available - up until I checked today they were in the $50+ range). BUT - no sign of S3 and that Complete Series set looks to be an unedited release. Earlier seasons had editing done on them. I may need to get one of these Complete Series instead...

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I sure thought OL redo was 80s. Sure did like that one. The one with Beau Bridges is such a favorite. freaked me out ! lol

Sad to know Echo Bridge and Alliance had anything to do with TZ 80s. Oh well.. at least I'll have the shows. Hope they look at least as good as LEXX which looks okay. Better than Bradbury theatre which is horrible.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Sad to know Echo Bridge and Alliance had anything to do with TZ 80s. Oh well.. at least I'll have the shows. Hope they look at least as good as LEXX which looks okay. Better than Bradbury theatre which is horrible.

In terms of Alliance Atlantis, it appears the production of season 3 of the 1980s Twilight Zone was handled by Alliance when the production was moved to Canada in 88-89. Though overall, it appears ViacomCBS owns the first two seasons.

The 2002 Twilight Zone with Forest Whitaker narrating, was re-released on dvd by Alliance in 2011 and earlier by New Line in 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks