What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (2 Viewers)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Barney Miller - Complete Series.

This is another which I'd not intended to collect the entire series, planning to stop with S5. I already own copies of S1-S4 and have just been waiting for a "deal" ($10 or less for a new copy) for S5. Amazon then goes and puts the Complete Series on sale at a price that meant the last 4 seasons (Fish S1 is not included in this set - that's OK as I recall not caring for it much) would be ~$12/each (ignoring S1-S4 - add those and it's a bit over $6/each season). For that price, and that S4 is constantly in the $17 range, I couldn't let the deal pass.

As a regular viewer of Barney Miller on ABC, I had always thought seasons 6 and 7 were an improvement over seasons 4 and 5, even with the absence of Jack Soo. The loss of Abe Vigoda in the fourth season, Jack Soo (near the end, with another blah temporary replacement) and also the audience itself halfway through the season was too much of a letdown from the excellent third season. The direction was a bit lazy in the 4th season. In one episode we see Hal Linden just standing in the back waiting for his cue, then moves into the next scene as if he had just passed by naturally. And the unforgivable scene in Eviction Part 1 where Inspector Luger is informing Barney of a very serious piece of news and actor Ron Carey is seen smiling at the news! Why the scene wasn't redone is not known. Then we lose Jack Soo again in the fifth season.

Then the final season took a dip in quality again partially due to the loss of regular director Noam Pitlik. Even Danny Arnold's directing seemed sluggish. Perhaps the worst episode of the entire series was the guy who thought he was possessed (the same guy who thought he was a werewolf in the third season). Unfortunately someone made the decision to amplify his voice to make his possession seem real. The B plot? A large woman who couldn't fit into her jeans. On the other hand they increased the continuing subplots from episode to episode. What is considered ordinary in today's sitcoms Barney Miller perhaps pioneered as far back as 1977 when Harris was looking for an apartment and it continued through most of the season. Later that season marital problems between Barney and his wife began to surface and that subplot was developed in the fifth season. So the fourth, fifth and eighth seasons weren't complete losses. I just thought the writing, directing and acting came together better in the sixth and seventh.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
In terms of Alliance Atlantis, it appears the production of season 3 of the 1980s Twilight Zone was handled by Alliance when the production was moved to Canada in 88-89. Though overall, it appears ViacomCBS owns the first two seasons.

The 2002 Twilight Zone with Forest Whitaker narrating, was re-released on dvd by Alliance in 2011 and earlier by New Line in 2004.
man I don't even remember the 2002 one. I'd like to see the 2019 one though.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
man I don't even remember the 2002 one. I'd like to see the 2019 one though.
Not too great (I still have unwatched episodes on VHS taped off of UPN) but at least they stuck to the 30-minute format. Also, even though it was on for one season they did two seasons' worth of episodes (44) (compared to 20 varying-length episodes in the 2019 version.)
And along with the usual remakes every Twilight Zone version does ("The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" and "Eye of the Beholder" in this version) there is a sequel to an original episode "It's Still a Good Life" featuring original stars Bill Mumy (along with his daughter) and the late Cloris Leachman.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Just ordered:

Riverboat: Complete Series (DVD)
Ultraman Leo: Complete Series (Steelbook Edition Blu-ray, pre-order) --which completes the classic-era live-action 'Ultra' series for my collection, which was all that I was interested in, in that regard. Now if only someone would release a legit subbed/dubbed English-language set of The Space Giants (aka Ambassador Magma)...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Not too great (I still have unwatched episodes on VHS taped off of UPN) but at least they stuck to the 30-minute format. Also, even though it was on for one season they did two seasons' worth of episodes (44) (compared to 20 varying-length episodes in the 2019 version.)
And along with the usual remakes every Twilight Zone version does ("The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street" and "Eye of the Beholder" in this version) there is a sequel to an original episode "It's Still a Good Life" featuring original stars Bill Mumy (along with his daughter) and the late Cloris Leachman.
that sequel sounds like a blast.

the 80s set showed up today. it just says CBSTV and Paramount on it. Haven't had a chance to test it. I want to finish up the original series on blu ray first. incredible set. Eye of the Beholder had a lot of commentaries!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mannix the complete series. One one hand, I love this box set's divergence from the usual Epic Pak in large outer sleeve. On the other, the hard plastic trays held together by glue or tape won't survive intact for too long.
s-l640.png

urrutiap

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
Recent stuff I got for DVD

Robotech Second Macross Saga
Karate Kid Part II
Brightburn
South Park Bigger Longer Uncut + Team America World Police two in one DVD pack
The Midwife

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks