What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (5 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just ordered Network's The Professionals Mark III Blu-Ray set from Amazon UK...$17 inclusive of overseas shipping. Not a bad deal, and cheaper than from Network's own site, especially on the shipping. With this set, I now own the complete series, all 57 episodes, beautifully-remastered, with nice extras, including very extensive booklets by Andrew Pixley (we're talking probably 500 pages or more, taking all 4 booklets together.)

71oJ%2BkUR3mL._SY445_.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just ordered Network's The Professionals Mark III Blu-Ray set from Amazon UK...$17 inclusive of overseas shipping. Not a bad deal, and cheaper than from Network's own site, especially on the shipping. With this set, I now own the complete series, all 57 episodes, beautifully-remastered, with nice extras, including very extensive booklets by Andrew Pixley (we're talking probably 500 pages or more, taking all 4 booklets together.)

71oJ%2BkUR3mL._SY445_.jpg
500 pages worth of booklets?! Wow-- that's a treasure trove of information right there, not to mention, very good reading!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
500 pages worth of booklets?! Wow-- that's a treasure trove of information right there, not to mention, very good reading!

Actually, 500 pages is probably too small a number to be accurate. The booklet in the Mark IV Blu-Ray set alone is 240 pages! A treasure trove is right - almost too much information.

Andrew Pixley is well-known in the U.K. for his exhaustively-researched "Viewing Notes," as he rather humbly titles them. Network's recently sold out The Goodies Complete BBC Collection special edition came with two booklets by him, totaling 850 pages. He's also done lengthy booklets on The Prisoner, Public Eye, Callan, The Sweeney, Ace of Wands and scads of other series.)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I picked up the 5 season pack when that was out, and S6 in a single set.

Just be aware, these are the official UK cuts, not the alternate PBS edits. So if something's missing or added, that's the reason.
My understanding is the episodes were restructured to allow for the 90 minute length PBS wanted and nothing was cut. However, with a 4 episode S1 on PBS that comes out to 6 hour length episodes. In the UK it was 7 hour length episodes for S1. So it appears that something had to be cut for the US versions unless those PBS episodes run a bit long. PBS caught some flak for the editing and addition of a pre-show section explaining certain British customs for Americans.

I've only ever seen the UK versions as that's what Amazon has for streaming and where I first watched the series. I purchased the "UK" version BR set long before I knew there might be a difference but don't really care as they have the original pacing and structure.

Last edited:

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I haven't bought a tv show dvd/blu-ray set in a while except for Gunsmoke. Nothing's getting released that interests me. However, I just got Buck Rogers on blu since I haven't seen it since I was a kid. I figured I might as well get it since it will never make it back to tv. Then a week after a get it I see that MeTV is starting to show it. Figures. Anyway, I've seen the first couple of discs and sadly this does not hold up well for me. I love the space ships but production values are pretty bad. The costumes are laughable.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I haven't bought a tv show dvd/blu-ray set in a while except for Gunsmoke. Nothing's getting released that interests me. However, I just got Buck Rogers on blu since I haven't seen it since I was a kid. I figured I might as well get it since it will never make it back to tv. Then a week after a get it I see that MeTV is starting to show it. Figures. Anyway, I've seen the first couple of discs and sadly this does not hold up well for me. I love the space ships but production values are pretty bad. The costumes are laughable.

Yeah, I felt the same way after seeing the costumes. Wish I hadn't seen them again. Would have liked to remember Buck Rogers (and even the original Battlestar Galactica, for that matter) the way I did when I was a nine-year-old kid. Everything about space looked cool to me back then. My how times have changed.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
More Brit TV goodness, courtesy of Network:

Bless Me Father: The Complete Series

Man of the World: The Complete Series (early ITC adventure series with Craig "Peter Gunn" Stevens in the lead)

Ace of Wands: Special Edition

King of the Castle: The Complete Series

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
And some British goodness here direct from the UK - because it's not likely to appear on a region 1 disc any time soon:
The Avengers: season 1, episode 20 - Tunnel of Fear.
"Lost" episode recovered in 2016, released earlier this year with a decent batch of bonus bits.

Before that, received "Sapphire and Steel" (a blind buy, but looks like fun; have only watched first episode & look forward to more), and complete series of "Ripcord" (bought to see Harlan Ellison's scriptwriting debut).

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
And some British goodness here direct from the UK - because it's not likely to appear on a region 1 disc any time soon:
The Avengers: season 1, episode 20 - Tunnel of Fear.
"Lost" episode recovered in 2016, released earlier this year with a decent batch of bonus bits.

Before that, received "Sapphire and Steel" (a blind buy, but looks like fun; have only watched first episode & look forward to more), and complete series of "Ripcord" (bought to see Harlan Ellison's scriptwriting debut).

Ooh, yes, that early series one episode of The Avengers was quite a recovery!

Think you'll enjoy Sapphire and Steel. That's some weird, creepy goodness right there. Good Hallowe'en viewing.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I took advantage of a Network sale on Amazon UK (stumbled upon it actually) to get:

Odd Man Out - Complete Series (£3.33)
The Piglet Files - Complete Series 1 and Complete Series 2 (£2.49 each)
All in Good Faith - Complete Series 2 (£2.49 - and I ordered S1 of this but it went OOP, became unavailable, got cancelled)
The Lovers - Complete Series (£4.16)
Slinger's Day - Complete Series (£3.32)
All at Number 20 - Complete Series (£3.32)

and a few SF movies (all of which arrived in slim cases): Unearthly Stranger, Timeslip, and Invasion (£1.66 each)

I'd never heard of, or seen, any of the TV series before and picked them up based on other series starring some of the participants. I've already watched All in Good Faith and wish S1 hadn't gone OOP. It's nothing truly special or groundbreaking and Richard Briers pretty much plays a similar character to that he did in The Good Life but is a vicar. It was enjoyable.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I took advantage of a Network sale on Amazon UK (stumbled upon it actually) to get:

Odd Man Out - Complete Series (£3.33)
The Piglet Files - Complete Series 1 and Complete Series 2 (£2.49 each)
All in Good Faith - Complete Series 2 (£2.49 - and I ordered S1 of this but it went OOP, became unavailable, got cancelled)
The Lovers - Complete Series (£4.16)
Slinger's Day - Complete Series (£3.32)
All at Number 20 - Complete Series (£3.32)

and a few SF movies (all of which arrived in slim cases): Unearthly Stranger, Timeslip, and Invasion (£1.66 each)

I'd never heard of, or seen, any of the TV series before and picked them up based on other series starring some of the participants. I've already watched All in Good Faith and wish S1 hadn't gone OOP. It's nothing truly special or groundbreaking and Richard Briers pretty much plays a similar character to that he did in The Good Life but is a vicar. It was enjoyable.

Those are some pretty obscure comedies there, Howie! I've only heard of All in Good Faith and The Piglet Files. Can't go wrong for those prices, though! Let me know if any of them are hidden gems...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks