What's new

What's the last TV DVD/Blu-ray you bought? (3 Viewers)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
And that hairdo! Her 1968 "Chuck" character on, IT TAKES A THIEF.
susan-saint-james-it-takes-a-thief-1968-image-2.png
susan-saint-james-it-takes-a-thief-1968-image-3.png

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Gunsmoke - Season 8-9 all-in-one package from Walmart.

Ever since reading about this set in this thread ages ago, I have been scouring Walmarts from Atlanta to Orlando looking for this. It finally landed in Macon and I picked up one of the two available copies. I sure hope Paramount continues to release the mega sets as they are economical and more budget friendly. The seasons average out to $19.98, the cost of just Season 13 volume 1.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Goldbergs, Season 5.

I was all ready to give up on this for the time being, since no one had it for under $20 bucks after shipping (and when did the crap shipping at Amazon get jacked up to six bucks?), until I found out that the set is actually stocked in various local Targets for $15.

Who knew brick and mortar stores still stocked new releases?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
813bMeycG6L._SL1500_.jpg

I pre-ordered this arriving just in time for my birthday. What a treat. Tom Baker is still my favorite doc, but Peter Davison is a reeeaallly close second. I hope the entire Baker, and Davison runs are completed on Blu-Ray.

Yes, I'm excited for this one as well. Peter Davison was my first Doctor..."The King's Demons" part 2 the first serial I watched properly...followed the next day (via Portland's PBS affiliate) by "The Five Doctors." Davison still remains a sentimental favorite, though my favorite Doctor is Tom Baker (followed closely by Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee).

I just hope this set is relatively problem free. I'm still waiting for word on when we"ll see a corrected Tom Baker Season 12 release to replace the current one.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Goldbergs, Season 5.

I was all ready to give up on this for the time being, since no one had it for under $20 bucks after shipping (and when did the crap shipping at Amazon get jacked up to six bucks?), until I found out that the set is actually stocked in various local Targets for $15.

Who knew brick and mortar stores still stocked new releases?

Target and Walmart can be a real mixed bag, depending on location. I've found lots of good things in Target in previous years, but this past August (during my annual return visit to the States) I found absolutely nothing of interest (classic TV or movie wise, anyway) in two different Target stores in Washington State. However, the Walmart in my parents' hometown (in a mostly rural county) had a decent assortment of vintage TV material, including various Hanna-Barbera repackaged sets, Gunsmoke season 13, vols. 1 and 2, the Dark Shadows 50th Anniversary "Best of" collection, misc. complete series boxsets for shows like The Wild Wild West, Streets of San Francisco, The Untouchables, Laverne & Shirley, etc. It really just depends where you go and on each store's individual stocking strategy. It's still obvious that physical media is on the way out, alas...

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I was encouraged to see CBS release a Blu ray set of young Sheldon Season 1.

Leverage seasons 1 and 2. All of the streaming services have taken it off.
Hart of Dixie season 1. I've been enjoying her new show Take Two and I love the witty dialog on this show.
That Girl Season 4. Only one more season to go.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I have it , but haven't watched much of it yet.
What is wrong with the set?

I don't think the issues are terrible or anything, but there are some glitches. The extent to which they might bother you depends on the individual and how much attention he or she pays to this sort of technical hiccup. Here's a brief run-down courtesy of the excellent Roobarb's Forum site in the U.K. (see link below for more info):

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/sh...-replacements)&p=954274&viewfull=1#post954274

*** NEW *** Doctor Who The Collection Season 12 Blu-ray set - numerous issues, including a sound fault on The Sontaran Experiment Part One, and a short section of missing subtitles from Revenge of the Cybermen. Replacement discs were issued for these two stories - see instructions below.

Thank you for contacting BBC DVD Support.

We will be offering replacements for the errors on Disc 3 (The Sontaran Experiment) and Disc 5 (Revenge of the Cybermen) in the Doctor Who The Collection Season 12 Blu-ray release.

In order to obtain a replacement, please email proof of purchase to this DVD Support line, in the form of a receipt from the retailer. If you do not have a receipt from the retailer, then please email a picture of the product with your full name and postal address in view.

The estimated time frame for the replacement to be available is 4-5 weeks.

Please allow some time for the replacement disc to reach you.

I haven't bought the set yet, and am hesitant to do so until I hear that BBC Worldwide are releasing sets for retail with the above issues corrected (i.e., not requiring me to request replacement discs). That may take a while. Other than these technical glitches, it sounds like a wonderful set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks