What's new

What's a good scary movie to watch with my 5-year-old on Halloween? (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he was joking, and if he was, he stole my joke. :) EVENT HORIZON is an excellent film though, but is quite graphic.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Wow. My email sure filled up with responses! Since I'd like to get an older film (and we've had NMBC playing non-stop for the last week anyway), I think I'll try to get the original "The Thing" or "The Blob". I was also thinking "Gremlins" might be fun, but that's more of a Christmas film :)

Louis C

Supporting Actor
My 6 y/o loves "Grinch Night" It has the same animators as the original Grinch cartoon, but alas it's VHS only, and that may even be out of print now.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
We just watched Hocus Pocus with our 2 year old son last night. He went "ooh, yuck" a few times (e.g., at the zombie) but he really liked it and it kept his attention the whole time.

Monster's Inc. is also a good one for little kids, though it's not really a Halloween movie.

And he liked It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, though of course that's not a scary one.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A second vote for "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Great mood, suspense and atmosphere. My 9 year old son also enjoys "Edward Scissorshands".

Just my 2 cents.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"From Hell" with Johnny Depp and Heather Graham.
Are people not reading the thread title? These films are not appropriate for a 5-year-old.

I'd even think "Gremlins" is borderline (though I love the movie, and just watched it Monday). That was one of the films that triggered the creation of the PG-13 rating. Yes, there are a few laughs to balance the scares, but it's also a bit gory in spots (i.e. the microwave, the blender, the chainsaw, the crossbow, the beheading, the "melting" scene at the climax). I think I'd wait until she's a few years older.

How about "Ghostbusters"? I haven't watched recently, but if I recall there are a few scares, but mostly comedy.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (Disney)
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Frankenstein
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Nightmare Before Christmas

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Tremors would be good if there weren't so much profanity in it.
Gremlins does have the kitchen sequence, but if you think your family can handle seeing some gremlins decapitated/blended/exploded/melted, then the only questionable sequence(to me, anyway) would be a gremlin trying to strangle the mother(she survives). Otherwise, Galligan is attacked with a crossbow and chainsaw during the climax and a woman gets catapulted out a window in one of the funniest sequences in the film.
Event Horizon? Schedule a few dozen sessions with a therapist in advance...;)
Five is just too young for most of the films I watch. Come back in three years or so and I'll have dozens of suggestions...

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
GREMLINS ALERT!!!!

Johnathan,

Do NOT let you 5 year old watch Gremlins if you want to keep the Santa Claus illusion cleanly going!! I had completely forgotten about the scene where Phobe Cates is telling the story about her dad and ends with "THAT'S how I found out there was no Santa Claus". We had to tiptoe around that for a few days.

Have fun!!!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Here's another vote for Ghostbusters. I loved that movie as a little one (I was probably about 5 at the time, maybe a little older...I dunno, when did it first show up on HBO? That's where my parents taped it.) And the somewhat racier bits (alot of Venkman's humor) went right over my head.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My 3-year-old nephew enjoyed a double feature of Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and House of Frankenstein. :) Pretty linear story and enough monsters to hold his interest.
Corrupting the youth of America, one kid at a time....

John McMillin

Auditioning
I don't get the PC-ness about thinking 5 year olds are too young for Beetlejuice and Gremlins? I was watching Friday The 13th, Halloween and Nightmare On Elm Street movies when I was 8 years old.... I'm 23 now, and I've never murdered anybody and I consider myself sane. Those movies were fun, they didn't freak me out.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The Stephen Sommers Mummy isn't a bad choice and Beetlejuice is pretty good too. The Three Stooges "Spook Louder" comp is funny as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks