What's new

Whatever Happened to Everyone? (1 Viewer)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I think it's great people are becoming more informed. I thought that was part of our mission. "

NO NO NO We are hear to bitch about people becoming more informed, and we are still here to bitch about people that ARE informed.

"we" are never satisfied with the status quo!

Brent

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Uhm...I was always under the impression that the reason we would 'fear' DVD becoming mainstream was because it would mean DVDs compromised for the lowest common denominator. I'm referring to pan and scan only DVDs, and at least here in Canada, French/English packaging. Now, DVD being mainstream has simply meant a lot of consistency, and a lot less to talk about.

And on another note, if we were ever happy with the status quo, what the heck would we talk about on message boards?!

Maybe that's what happened to everyone! They got happy with the status quo!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"French/English packaging"

Don't get me started on that!
furious.gif

B

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
We must make ourselves very clear here: we're not against English packaging where appropriate, or French packaging. Just against both being on the same side of the inlay.

Right?

Cees

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Still breathing and kicking. Sometimes I wish we could hit the chapter skip button back to 97....those were the good ol days!

Mike

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
quote:We must make ourselves very clear here: we're not against English packaging where appropriate, or French packaging. Just against both being on the same side of the inlay.

That is what I am objecting too. I can live with it, but it simply makes them feel more like 'products' then works of art.

RichP

Second Unit
I'm mostly a lurker, but I've been here over 6 years and have certainly noticed a shift in the climate here.

I guess it seemed more "fun" when everything was new. Isn't it that way with everything though?
smile.gif

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I remember lots of you guys! Matt, you used to have a jesters cap on in your picture a long time ago, right? Steve Christou once sent me pictures of his crazy German girlfriend...good thing I intercepted that e-mail before my wife did! Jack Briggs still has the 2001 logo, good to see. Some of you I just remember the names: Cees, Patrick Sun, brentl, ("and the rest" as they say on Gilligan's island).

I don't really expect anyone to remember me because I wasn't a big rabble-rouser or thread starter.

The reason I rarely post any more is that my work's website filter blocks this site! (Is there any way to get around that and not get fired?) I rarely log in at home.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I remember you Bob, from many years back, 2001 my favorite year here and the craziest. After Hours was on the verge of being shutdown because of our boisterous behaviour. Even polls was getting a bit too raunchy. I remember Eric Scott starting a thread titled "Do you like eating in bed?" knowing full well what my reply would be, this was followed by "What do you think is a normal amount of um.... per week?" that was soon closed with a furious Ron Epstein telling us all off, we all felt like naughty schoolkids cowering behind our desks.
smile.gif

In fact one of the first threads I encountered when I first joined here was, and I'm not making this up, "Have you ever been caught spanking the monkey?" I mean what kind of a question is that? I remember being gobsmacked when I saw that, what kind of place have I ventured in to I wondered? Why would anyone want to spank a monkey?
wink.gif

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I wish it was Kevin. I think I have it archived on my drive for future blackmail purposes [snickers] hang on... here it is in my "HTF the crazy years" folder, let me see... hmmm some of these posters are still active and well known. Here's one reply "Wow, never thought this thread would come up". And another "There are other ways?", and another "I hope there are no pets involved".

Those were the reprintable ones.
laugh.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Good to see a lot of old names here in this thread. I still remember being one of the first to post why on my Toshiba 2006 I kept seeing jaggie lines as the camera panned vertically, and on my later player (first gen CHEAP Sony [DVP-S300 I think], after the 7000 or whatever that thousand dollar player was) there wasn't any.

Turns out, though I didn't coin the phrase, I was seeing anamorphic downconversion. Remember that phrase? Back when 99% of us had 4:3 TVs. At first people said they didn't know what I was talking about, then after explaining to people what to look for they finally saw it.

That launched into the whole "sharper pic w/ jaggies" vs. "smooth but soft" downconversion arguments (and really Sony was the only one doing the smooth downconversion at the time). Some preferred the sharper pic, I personally liked the smoother method, even if it was a bit softer.

Luckily back in 2000 I went 16:9HD and have never looked back, as I think most people here have.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Yeah, I think it's ironic that I used the forum much more before I had any half-decent equipment! (No jokes about my "equipment", Steve)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks