What's new

What to cook with? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm looking for cookware (not non-stick or cast-iron), and there are just way too many choices to look for!

I've found this one set that seems to be a decent price, it's a Cuisinart "Multiclad" which is a "3-ply"

http://cayneshousewares.com/cgi-bin/...i?which=344501

I've looked at the Cuisinart webpage, and can't seem to find more information on this set. Is it equivalent to the Cuisinart Chef's Classic? (found here)

http://www.cuisinart.com/cgi-bin/ind...e&item_id=77-7

Lagostina has a line which is "5-ply", found at costco, here:

http://www.costco.ca/en-CA/Browse/Pr...erPath=89*208*

In searching past threads, I've discovered many people recommend something called All-clad. I'm curious if there's more than one model of All-clad stuff, as I've found one set here:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=family

I'd also like the idea of KitchenAid stuff (I'd like the ability to eventually have everything in my kitchen one brand, and this would be a great start. Although I haven't found a decent model/set I'd like.

I'm not a professional cook, by any means, but would like something nicer than the stuff I got umpteen years ago when I first moved out.

What would you suggest?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Take a look at Calphalon. They make great stuff and have a fairly wide price range.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I recommend doing just the opposite. No one brand name has a lock on the entire kitchen market.

For each item, purchase the brand that best meets your needs and budget. For example, the KitchenAid (really Hobart) mixer has been unchanged for several decades, and for good reason--it is an outstanding appliance. However this does not make their cookware or their garbage disposal the best.

For cookware, a set such as many in the links you provide will make a very nice start. But you may also want some speciality items (such as an oval pan for fish, for example) and you will also eventually need to add more basic items such as a larger stock pot (6 qts is barely enough to cook 1 lb of pasta).

Don't be too dismissive of some of the non-stick cookware as there are some very fine products on the market.

Seth's recommendation of Calphlon is very good, though it is a bit more expensive than some other brands. For a bit less (and in non-stick) you should check T-Fal and (OTOH) if money and maintainence is no object, get copper.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I bought a T-Fal frying pan at Kohl's (at a VERY reasonable price) and I love it! I'm not a hard-core cook, but for the money, T-Fal ROCKS! :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
All Clad definitely makes some excellent cook ware, though not the cheapest. Their Copper Core line has an excellent combination of features. You get the benefit of copper for heat conduction, but you don't have to sweat keeping the copper cleaned and polished because it's sandwiched between stainless. Very heavy bottoms to aid in even heating.

If I'm not mistaken, Emeril Ware is just Copper Core with his name stamped on the handle.

And one or two good non-stick skillets of different sizes do come in handy. If you're familiar with Alton Brown from Good Eats on the Food Network, he advocates using the inexpensive "food service supply" variety of non-stick. The more expensive stuff is frequently textured which actually makes it less non-stick. I've been using a $13 9" model from Wal-Mart for years. It's got a few pits and scratches, but it still turns out a perfect omelette. I haven't been all that meticulous with it over the years either. It goes in the dishwasher. My wife tends to stack things inside of it from time to time and it's still flipping eggs like a champ.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If you want great cookware that will last you a lifetime, don't skimp on price. KitchenAid is great, great stuff, but real expensive. Any of the other major brands that offer the stainless/aluminum/copper clad are great also. Try Cuisinart and All-Clad (I own All-Clad Master Chef, my parents own KitchenAid). Stay away from Calphalon I, the anodized exterior can wear away and cause the aluminum underneath to leach into food. My dad had a set of Calphalon and this happened to a few pots. The Calphalon stainless looks good, but again you get what you pay for. I wouldn't trade my All-Clad for anything. Also look into getting a good enamel coated cast iron pot for stews, sauce, etc. The Cadillac of enamel cast iron is LeCreuset and again I would not trade mine for 100 of another make.

All-Clad
Le Creuset

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my wife uses all-clad as well. i think she said it comes in a couple different lines. she has some that are polished all the way around, and some that are dark (sorta like non-stick i think). i think they're called mc2 or something like that.

anyway, very nice stuff. heats up very quickly and retains heat very well. the only thing i don't like about them are the thin handles. on the big 10" pan, it's very easy for that pan to rotate in your hand if you don't have a very careful grip ... stupid design imo.

also, check out ebay. i think that's how wifey got almost all her stuff.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Just as a note to those that like the idea of a George Foreman type grill but found them lacking, I picked one of these up last week: Cuisinart Grill

It's superior to the GF types because the lid is mounted to a pivot in the handle, so there's no "floating hinge" at the back of the grill like on the GF's. This allows the top to always be parallel to the bottom, giving great food contact. It also has removable grill plates, along with a set of griddle plates, that go right in the dishwasher. It doubles as a great panini maker; the lid is heavy enough to press the sandwiches down, just like a true panini press. Plus, it opens up fully and locks in place to use as a flat griddle or grill, so you can make cheeseburgers or eggs if you want. All for just a little more (~$29) than the new GF grills. Great machine and it looks good on the counter. I'm making cuban sandwiches tonight, mmmmmm good.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've been moving away from non-stick and use it only for a quick fried or scrambled egg. I bought a cast iron skillet and tempered steel wok and have been really enjoying them. The wok is my favorite at this point because now I have the "wok air" that had been missing in my stir fry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks