What's new

UHD What titles would you purchase on UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
At this point the titles that ware out I would get the Maze Runners and maybe Exodus: Gods and Kings. However, I'm waiting for those titles to drop to $20. I have several titles on pre-order The 5th Wave is the next one coming on May 3rd.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Picked up 4 UHD 4K Blu-ray today so I am now up to 11 titles!

Life Of Pi
X Men: Days Of Future Past
Exodus: Gods And Kings
Kingsman: Secret Service

2 - Warner Bros Titles
8 - 20th Century Fox Titles
1 - Lions Gate Title

Future Purchase UHD 4K Blu-rays:
The Amazing Spiderman 2
Chappie
Huntsman: Winters War
Gods Of Egypt
Independence Day
Ghostbusters
The Revenant
Sicario
Labyrinth
Star Trek: Into Darkness
Star Trek (2009)
SALT

Titles I want on 4K UHD:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Hunger Games: Mokingjay Pt2
Captain America: Civil War
X Men: Apocalypse
Independence Day: Resurgence
Star Trek: Beyond
My Fair Lady
Open Range
Spectre 007
Jason Bourne
Lawrence Of Arabia
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tails
Seven Year Itch
The Hobbit Trilogy
Star Wars IV (Original Theatrical)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I love to read articles where the writer is enthusiastic about his subject and writes with thoughtful passion and not just endless superlatives.

Thanks for the link!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's great that he's enthusiastic, but I'm not going to be an early adopter this time. I have no desire to be a beta tester.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Happy to be a beta tester here. I already had the 4K TV from last year when my old HD TV keeled over. The $400 cost of entry for the player was not prohibitive for me. I like the results I see from the new format enough that I am curtailing my purchase of blu-rays of current theatrical content in favor of the (eventual) UHD release. At the cost of $400 and a bit of research on how to hook it up correctly, you get the benefits of the new format.

PS. I hooked things up with a Blue Jeans Cable high rate HDMI cable, not a Monster.
PPS. I didn't suffer any of the problems that Mr Harris had with my settings getting over-written by the player, or I might have been more frustrated.
PPPS. I might also be singing a different tune if I didn't already have the nice 4K TV. But if I were in the market for a 4K TV anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to get the UHD player along with it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I to am an early adopter and I also love what I see and what money I have for movies is being funneled into 4K UHD blu-ray movies. For right now I also am saving up for a new receiver with 4K switching and Atmos and DTS X decoding! The next goal after that will be to purchase a 4K projector after the prices have come down! What 4K UHD brings to the table is what I have been striving for ever since I started this hobby.

Thanks for the link to the Digital Bits article.

I have to agree with the opinion on where digital streaming/downloads are going. For now physical media is still with us and I will support it as long as I am able to do so. I have gotten around to getting Netflix and a Vudu account and have registered my ultraviolet codes so there are accessible through Vudu. While I am willing to rent movies to see if I want to buy them I am still not interested in purchasing the digital version of a movie! I realize that I and many of us here are starting to become the minority and that is sad IMHO. For myself I do not like the trend of content moving away from physical media to be honest and a number of people here know that. It is sad that it is heading this way where the only way you can get movies if physical media goes away is via a internet connection. Some day the digital versions will be just as good but for now I can not get myself to buy something I can not hold in my hand, that is not as good as a disc and the best audio we can hope for is lossy Dolby Digital Plus. And just think how one would feel if you loose your job and can not access your digital investment. Not everyone has the insane HD drive space to store everything and run there media server in a raid configuration which cost more to have multiple hard drives to store it all. I can honestly see my interest slowly going away as soon as physical media dies and I can see my interest in upgrading hardware once everything goes digital. I hope we get a good amount of current movies and catalog titles on blu-ray and 4K UHD bluray for as long as we can get them.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Picked up 4 UHD 4K Blu-ray today so I am now up to 11 titles!
Titles I want on 4K UHD:
Lawrence Of Arabia

It is available non-HDR version on Amazon right now (I have good luck streaming prime 4K movies I have not bought a movie yet). They also have titles like Alamo Bay, Hard Times, Taxi Driver, The Last Detail, It Happened One Night (1934) and other older titles... They have quite a lot of 4K content now.

By the way "Mozart in the Jungle" is in HDR streaming for free, if you have prime and the Samsung UHD player. Looks fantastic!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is available non-HDR version on Amazon right now (I have good luck streaming prime 4K movies I have not bought a movie yet). They also have titles like Alamo Bay, Hard Times, Taxi Driver, The Last Detail, It Happened One Night (1934) and other older titles... They have quite a lot of 4K content now.

By the way "Mozart in the Jungle" is in HDR streaming for free, if you have prime and the Samsung UHD player. Looks fantastic!

Thanks for the info David but I will wait for the 4K UHD disc of Lawrence Of Arabia to come out. I have no issue renting a movie via Direct TV or Vudu streaming but have no interest in digital downloads no matter if they are HD or UHD. My income is not all that great and I can see myself in a situation where I would loose internet so dowloads/streaming does nothing for me. And buying hard drives instead of movies to store movies I have to have internet for to purchase or redownload if the hard drive takes a dump in not for me ether. Not to mention the lack of lossless audio is another reason not to spend money on the digital version when the disc version has lossless and in some cases Atmos or DTS X. I admit it is very convenient not to have to run out to a brick and mortar store or wait for an internet order to arrive. Not a fan of downloads when it comes to buying content that relies on having the internet. Not to mention the hard drive space I would have to buy to store the content and just imagine how much space UHD content would chew up.

I have the Smasung UHD player but do not even know if it would even stream content from my pc even if I had content on my PC. I did some time ago purchase 3 episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica from season 4 from iTunes. Found out later that I could not stream that content from my PC to my blu-ray player or play it from a USB stick. It was after that I thought about a number of scenarios where I would not be able to access my digital content and that it for me was not worth it. I know a number of members here are happy with digital downloads and or streaming but it is not for me. I actually dread the day that physical media is replaced by digital downloads. The only edge I see Vudu having over Direct TV and cable companies is at least Vudu has Dolby Digital Plus which is not lossless but better than Dolby Digital.

Here are some titles I would love to see on 4K UHD discs:

Lawrence Of Arabia
The King And I
Sound Of Music
My Fair Lady
The Seven Year Itch
The Godfather
Open Range

Reactions: PMF

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would buy almost anything large format, as long as the people handling the harvest don't try to max out the HDR on it. Like RAH says, there is hdr and HDR. While some large format films might benefit in the colour realm from a point or two expansion of the colour gamut, the last thing we want is (for example) MFL looking like it was shot digitally, with day-glo colours, blown-out whites and deep deep blacks simply because it can be done. Among the titles I'd like to see in 4K are:

The Big Trail
The Bat Whispers
Sleeping Beauty
Oklahoma!
Ben-Hur
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
Mutiny on the Bounty
IAMMMMW (non-roadshow, obviously)
My Fair Lady
2001: A Space Odyssey
Tron
Hamlet (1996)
The Hateful Eight (roadshow would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath)
Blade Runner (effects shots done in 65mm)
Far and Away (the film itself is a li'l cheesy, but the photography is gorgeous)
Vertigo
North By Northwest
One-Eyed Jacks
The Black Cauldron
Spartacus
the list goes on.........

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There is a good chance that Star Trek: Beyond will be on my purchase list and join Star Trek (2009) & Into Darkness on 4K UHD.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I guess older catalog titles are what I'm mainly interested in.

I have five right off the top of my head that would be great for UHd:

-Jaws
-Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
-Planet Of The Apes
-Star Wars(1977)
-Easy Rider

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What WILL be the first true classic film released in 4K? Will it be Gone With the Wind? The Wizard of Oz? Casablanca? Lawrence of Arabia? Ben-Hur?
An Ultra superb selection, to say the least.
But in terms of also serving and showing-off the new technology and creating converts?
Clearly, the first release demands to be "Lawrence", due to its heightened restoration which easily edges out the ever beautiful work that was achieved on "Ben-Hur"
Once Mr. Hough's top 5 are released, I would like to see ALL of the previously readied 4K transfers that were sourced from the 70mm format to take precedence; including a tweaked and sharpened-up transfer of "West Side Story".

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My answer: Zero. I am too old to be investing in yet another format. My latest (and last) is 1080p 3D and a nice plasma t.v. For my small space, that works just fine. Best wishes to supporters of 4k.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My answer: Zero. I am too old to be investing in yet another format. My latest (and last) is 1080p 3D and a nice plasma t.v. For my small space, that works just fine. Best wishes to supporters of 4k.
I'm smiling at that one, for I know exactly where you're at. I initially felt the same about BD; but after many years of DVD monies spent (and with great resistances) I got weak over the viewing of one single film. And then it all began, again.
Hmmm-m-m-m-m. I wonder which film - once released - will bring you over and back to the dark side.:D

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
4K UHD is my last supported format, I may end up with an 8K TV down the road but I really want to get around to doing more than collecting movies as much as I enjoy it. And if 4K UHD is the last physical format I will no longer be purchasing movies anyway.

20160624_121034.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks