What's new

What should I review next? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have a backlog of discs to review, and I apologize for that... work has been very busy lately.

But the weekend is mine so I am going to make it yours. Please provide me some input as to what I should review next!

For consideration:

- Broken Flowers
- Doom
- SNL / Alec Baldwin
- Repo Man
- Dune (and which one should I watch first? The original David Lynch cut or the "Alan Smithee" extended version?)
- Magnum P.I. Season 3
- Miami Vice Season 2

All discs are final product except Doom, which is a screener.

Thanks!
- Steve

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Dune Theatrical, then Dune extended. Please. There's only like 1 review for this disc online, and it's at IGN.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Oh, I'm out-voted here. I'd be interested in Broken Flowers. If you have time for two, then the extended version of Dune.

I agree: Broken Flowers and the two cuts of Dune. Start with the theatrical cut and then compare and contrast it against the extended cut. I suppose the question that I would want answered is which is the better film and why. Finally, is Dune a good film in either version? I haven't seen it in years and years, and a modern critique would be most appreciated. Enjoy!

CLD

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Repo Man. Definitely. This is an amazing film [I don't say "amazingly good" -- it's just amazing -- after seeing it you're left sitting there saying "what the ??? was that?"]. I bought the old cropped, monaural, analog-only LD just to have a silghtly better copy than the one taped off the TV eighteen or twenty years ago.

Also Broken Flowers.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Looks like I will subject a DVD player or two to Dune, and then break some flowers for starters. I'd like to get Doom in before Tuesday since Universal was generous enough to provide it pre-street. I don't expect to have to concentrate too hard on the story for Doom...

I appreciate the input, everyone! I never would have guessed that Dune was highest on your list.

By the way, should I be concerned that Dune comes with a glossary of terms? I've never read the books by the Herberts, et. al.

Do y'all have a time reference to lockups and other playback issues with Dune? Yes, mine is made south of the border, too.

Thanks,
Steve

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm interested in hearing how the new Repo Man compares with the old SE.

You may want to keep the glossary handy when watching Dune. It's pretty convoluted (albeit not nearly as much as the book is).

I remember enjoying it, but it's been years since I've seen it.

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
Dune: Theatrical, then Extended Cut......after that, Miami Vice: S2 and Magnum P.I.: S3

Thanks for posting. It seems reviews are few and far between here at HTF in Jan. No review only hurts the sale and the HTF.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

And here I was trying to be nice. :frowning:

- Steve

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
As much as I'd like to see your review of Dune, there's a pretty good thread going on HTF that's covered it. It's one of my favorite pictures and it only makes me wonder what Return of the Jedi would have looked like if Lynch took them up on the offer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks