What's new

What remote do you use? (1 Viewer)

Rich Burns

Auditioning
I have been doing the 5 remote shuffle for years now and I am looking into getting a learning remote with macro capabilities. WHat does everybody use?

Vin

Supporting Actor
Radio Shack 15-1994. It's a backlit learning remote with macro capability and can control up to 6 devices.
It's unbeatable at $30 (on sale, regular price $40), IMO!

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Sony rm-vl900. Learning, Macros, glow-in-the-dark buttons, and it looks cool too!
It's easy to program as well. Check it out here . Check around, you can find much better prices than the MSRP online!
Cheers,
~Kris

Andrew V

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Philips Pronto. It’s a touch screen Remote, with Macro Capabilities. It has its own Computer Editor so you can make it as custom as you want. It can Control as many devices as you want (only limited by memory) and it’s also a learning Remote. Right now there are three versions of the Philips Pronto:
Pronto TSU1000 : 1mb of Memory
Pronto TSU2000 : 2mb of Memory
ProntoPro: 8mb of Memory and Color.
The TSU1000 is around: $250
The TSU2000 is around: $280
The ProntoPro is around: $1000
------------------
~Andrew~
~Pronto Programmer~
AIM SN: FFU Productions
ICQ #: 21603991
Home Theater Pictures [Updated: June 22]
Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I use a One For All Cinema 6 Learning Remote (URC6800 not the 6200, the 6200 would be almost useless as it can't learn) and love it. Got it for $19.95 CDN in Costco. It has completely replaced all my other remotes, only need them to program it. I also have 6 macros on it that allow me two switch back and forth between different sources (ie turn on/off, go to DVD or VCR, then back from DVD or VCR to DSS) making all the necessary changes to the receiver, tv etc. However, if I could afford a couple hundred for a remote I would be ordering a Home Theater Master MX500 right now. And if money was no object I'd be looking at that new color Pronto.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Im using a Marantz RC2000. It is a great remote if you dont like the TouchPad style of the Pronto. I hear great things about the MX500 as well

ErichH

Screenwriter
HomeTheaterMaster MX500 - For me the best !!!!
Super easy to set up and use - feels great in your hand - Best backlight - I like buttons for tactile feel and these are great
Eric

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm also a big fan of the MX-500. An intuitive layout of keys with separate transport and cursor controls -- essential for DVD players or TiVo.
M.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I use a marantz rc5000 which is basically a pronto. It is excellent.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Pronto TSU2000
It not only has the flexibility to handle just about any HT-related electronic device you could possibly own, and can be programmed to do just about any sequence of commands you may want to do repeatedly, it has a built-in remote-command data base for an incredible array of brands and models of gear that probably contains most of the commands you'll neend to get up and running very quickly without having to "learn" each one from the existing remotes! (The TS1000 is equally flexible, and can also be programmed to do just about anything, but doesn't have the built-in data base.)
Good luck -
Burke

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Pronto TSU2000. It's expensive for a remote and when I bought it to upgrade my RC2000 I was thinking that I was crazy for spending this much money on a remote when I was happy with the RC2000. After I got it all my doubts were erased and I don't regret it one bit! I love this remote!

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Pronto TSU2000. It's expensive for a remote and when I bought it to upgrade my RC2000 I was thinking that I was crazy for spending this much money on a remote when I was happy with the RC2000. After I got it all my doubts were erased and I don't regret it one bit! I love this remote!
------------------
"Never underestimate the Powah of the Dahk Syhde..."

Curt Jett

Agent
The MX-500. Super easy to program and use. It's retired all the others, and I have the 15-1994 also, if you do not want to spend the $150 for the MX-500 it is a very good remote but way out classed by the latter.
------------------

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I guess I am somewhat of a remote nut. I have a Marantz RC-2000mkII, a Pronto TSU1000, TSU2000, and a Pronto TSU6000(Pro). The Marantz is used for my office setup and the Prontos are being programmed for two HT setups in the house, one rear projector and the other, a front projector.
------------------
Sound InSight Audio Video
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
BUY THE PRONTO 2000 - ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES - YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE COST!
David
------------------
David Schamis
MY EQUIPMENT:
Kef Reference Model 1 fronts, Kef Model 100 center, Kef Q15 rears, Sunfire MKII sub, Sony TA-E9000ES pre, 5 Marantz MA-500 monoblock powers, Sony 7700 DVD / CD player, Sony CDP-CA70ES CD Carousel, Sony 35" XBR TV, Sony Stereo VCR, Sony MZ-R55 MD Recorder, Philips Pronto Remote, Panamax 1000+ power strip

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
I've been thinking about getting one of the Take Control jobs, the remote that's a joint venture between Harman-Kardon and Microsoft, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've used the following remotes at one time or another...
- Harmon Kardon Take Control
- Home Theater Master MX-500
- Home Theater Master MX-1000
- Marantz RC2000 MKII
- Pronto 1000
- Radio Shack 15-1994
My preferred remote is the Home Theater Master MX-500. It has the best ergonomics of any remote I've ever used. It has 10 device capability, backlighting ( via a dedicated key ), user defined buttons ( 20 per device on two pages with 5 char labels ), and dedicated transport / cursor controls that are a must for Tivo users. This remote is really a pleasure to use and if you prefer hardbuttons on your remote is highly recommended.
Regarding which remote to purchase; I suppose it depends upon what you are after.
Pricewise the Radio Shack 15-1994 is a great remote, but you can't relabel any buttons ( which means you'll have to remember some of the odder button label / function combinations ) and its learning memory is limited to around 20 or so buttons. ( I think that is the number. Depending upon your components this may not be a problem. ) Also, I don't care for the location of the transport controls on this remote. Placed too near the bottom, IMHO.
I love the MX-500 for the reasons described above, but its main drawback is that you cannot store your configuration via a transfer to a PC. ( I believe that its macro capabilities are somewhat limited compared to the most advanced remotes, but I seldom use macros so no big deal for me. )
The various Pronto models are great remotes. They are infinitely configurable via Pronto Edit, but you may not like having to look at your remote to find the proper button a lot of the time. ( Page switching got old for me as well. Although this is partly layout dependant. ) Additionally, the Pronto is a tad more expensive than some of the others listed.
As always, just my $0.02.
- Walter.
[Edited last by Walter Kittel on July 15, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks